Potential order

PristDean

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi,

I am new here, tomorrow I have a test drive booked and I am looking to buy a Trophy. At present I am leasing a Hyundai 38Kwh which expires in June 2023. I know their current lead time is quicker at approx 16 weeks, however my question is, would a dealer take my order now (to beat the price increase) and be able to deliver in June when my lease expires ?

Thanks, and great to be a forum member.
Dean

If you put a deposit down and agree accessories etc. then that should be your price when delivered.

Thanks, that's what I am hoping for, but wondered if a dealer can accept a delayed delivery date or not due to my lease situation. I can ask the dealer of course, but wondered if anyone here had ordered with a delayed delivery date ?

Thanks, that's what I am hoping for, but wondered if a dealer can accept a delayed delivery date or not due to my lease situation. I can ask the dealer of course, but wondered if anyone here had ordered with a delayed delivery date ?
Think someone on here mentioned pushing their delivery out to the new year as they didn't want it registered in 2022 so it seems like it might be possible.

If you put a deposit down and agree accessories etc. then that should be your price when delivered.
It depends on the dealer small print. Mine can give notice of intent to pass on a price rise. They havnt yet

Think someone on here mentioned pushing their delivery out to the new year as they didn't want it registered in 2022 so it seems like it might be possible.
That may have been me. Corby dealer agreed a March delivery ordered 19th nov. They put 31/3/23 as target

Hi,

I am new here, tomorrow I have a test drive booked and I am looking to buy a Trophy. At present I am leasing a Hyundai 38Kwh which expires in June 2023. I know their current lead time is quicker at approx 16 weeks, however my question is, would a dealer take my order now (to beat the price increase) and be able to deliver in June when my lease expires ?

Dean
I’ve never done this with a dealer for more than a few days, but my thoughts are;
1/It’s unlikely that a dealer will want a new car in storage. They want to turn them around as quick as they can. At the very least I would guess that they would want payment once the car is available (April?) for delivery - which wouldn’t suit your requirements, unless you ran your lease and paid for the new car for a few weeks - or even took delivery of the order and ran 2 cars.
It’s all down to how the numbers work out. With the price increase it might work out cheaper having 2 cars for a while?
2/Although there is a price increase in January, there will still be some deals around. Yes, you may end up paying a little more though.
3/I would suggest that if you ordered now then a particular car would have your name on it - potentially arriving in April.
Dealers want to register cars and get paid asap so that they get their targets in.

Hi,

Dean
I did this same thing yesterday when I test drove and was so impressed that I ordered an SE at the current price. So my advice would be to try and order assuming you like the car asap because the dealer felt that the price increase would be very soon.

And I also agree that it is great to be a forum member because there is just so much useful information.

I was told yesterday that delivery is 16 weeks to the best of the dealer knowledge. But if the dealer wants to sell you the car it will be on your terms and you can tell them when you was it registered.

I was told yesterday that delivery is 16 weeks to the best of the dealer knowledge. But if the dealer wants to sell you the car it will be on your terms and you can tell them when you was it registered.
I don't think, as Cocijo has said that a dealer will hold onto your order for you. If the lead time is 16 weeks and your car arrives at the dealers towards the end of April I'd be very surprised if they then let it sit there till June. They will want the money in, they are more likely to sell the car to someone else to get the sale and figures. I don't think there could be any disagreement with the dealer for this, delaying for a week or 2 might be ok but not getting into a couple of months.

I don't think, as Cocijo has said that a dealer will hold onto your order for you. If the lead time is 16 weeks and your car arrives at the dealers towards the end of April I'd be very surprised if they then let it sit there till June. They will want the money in, they are more likely to sell the car to someone else to get the sale and figures. I don't think there could be any disagreement with the dealer for this, delaying for a week or 2 might be ok but not getting into a couple of months.
Understood. But that is a conversation he will have with his dealer so let's wait and see.

Understood. But that is a conversation he will have with his dealer so let's wait and see.
I agree you never know, next month is when MG start delivering orders specific to dealers individual order books (instead of random allocations) that should potential confirm exact lead times for orders moving forward.

You could also just put down your fully refundable deposit and take a view when the car arrives…

I have had a dealer hold a car before. Its not exactly unusual for people to delay delivery to pick up when the registration year changes.

I have had a dealer hold a car before. Its not exactly unusual for people to delay delivery to pick up when the registration year changes.
Did they hold it for over 2 Months until you paid for it?

Did they hold it for over 2 Months until you paid for it?
It doesn't hurt to ask the question, I would if my circumstances dictated it but 2 months is a lot more than a few weeks

Slight delay, I did intend to test drive today but have been down with a cold for the past two days. Now re-arranged for this Friday. Will update as soon I know more but appreciate all the views on here.

Okay, so been to the dealer. The long and short is they did not expect to have the car ready for me until June / July anyway. This is born through their experiences with deliveries (from China), supply chain issues etc. So it all fell into place for me delivery wise. The sales lady also stated that if it arrives a bit sooner, they would hold it for me.
They had a dynamic red coloured one in the showroom. In 'true life' it looks like a deep dark red which works well with the black trim and roof etc. The colour in the 'flesh' looked great, so... I placed an order for one. Due approx June next year I hope.

I'll also post in the 'Dealer discussions' section here on my experience with 'MG Wayland' Newbury.
Thanks again everyone and I hope my experience here helps others too.

Okay, so been to the dealer. The long and short is they did not expect to have the car ready for me until June / July anyway. This is born through their experiences with deliveries (from China), supply chain issues etc. So it all fell into place for me delivery wise. The sales lady also stated that if it arrives a bit sooner, they would hold it for me.
They had a dynamic red coloured one in the showroom. In 'true life' it looks like a deep dark red which works well with the black trim and roof etc. The colour in the 'flesh' looked great, so... I placed an order for one. Due approx June next year I hope.

I'll also post in the 'Dealer discussions' section here on my experience with 'MG Wayland' Newbury.
Thanks again everyone and I hope my experience here helps others too.
Glad you’re sorted. Did you get the pre-increase price agreed and fully refundable deposit?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back