Power steering and gear gear selection failure

YaR

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I parked today with the wheel at a slight angle (10-20 degrees off centre). When I returned to the car and started it there was a message saying centre steering wheel and I couldn't select D or R, only put the car into N or park. But I couldn't centre the wheel because there was no power steering so the wheel would barely turn. I had to get out, turn it off, turn it on and get in, which fixed it. First time I've ever experienced this. Is it a known issue?

Think of your car as a computer on four wheels. Every now and again a bit of the software is either slow to load up or does load but in the wrong order which confuses the rest and and they throw up various warnings.

As with a laptop or PC the cure is to turn it off and on again. Or in the car's case get out, lock it, count 10 and try again.

The chances are it will never happen again or if it does it's nothing to worry about unless it happens nearly every time.

Or power it down from the Car Safety screen. Yesterday I had the 'Centre the Steering Wheel' warning but was able to reverse out of the right parking space I had turned into.

I parked today with the wheel at a slight angle (10-20 degrees off centre). When I returned to the car and started it there was a message saying centre steering wheel and I couldn't select D or R, only put the car into N or park. But I couldn't centre the wheel because there was no power steering so the wheel would barely turn. I had to get out, turn it off, turn it on and get in, which fixed it. First time I've ever experienced this. Is it a known issue?
I’ve had this happen twice now & actually posted on the forum about it.

I left the car parked with the wheels at a slight angle. Got the same message when I started & couldn’t turn the wheel or select D or R & like you I fixed it by getting out, locking then unlocking, getting back in & it worked.

I did speak to someone at MG about it & was told it is a known issue and will be sorted in a future software update

I haven’t had it happen since but I do make sure I park now with wheels straight 😁

I'm not overly concerned, it's not a risk to safety, and power cycling fixed it. Good to know @Adam C that it's on the list of bugs waiting for a fix.

I'm not overly concerned, it's not a risk to safety, and power cycling fixed it. Good to know @Adam C that it's on the list of bugs waiting for a fix.
Yeah I don’t think it’s anything major, just one of those little quirks

My MG4 still has an older software version so maybe it has been fixed in newer updates

Of course if you have the newest software already then ignore the last comment 😂

Have had the straighten steering wheel message a couple of times but it has not prevented the car starting or selecting D or R

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back