Problem hard wiring dashcam

Droolong

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I have a query hard wiring a dashcam in my MG4 'hoping someone can help. I can wire into a permanent 12V Micro2 fuse socket (2 prong) which works fine. I'm not worried about the 12V going flat as the voltage occasionally jumps up to over 14V when the car is switched off so I think the MG is doing it's own monitoring of the 12V. My problem is the longevity of the SD card as its constantly writing 24/7.
I can't find a micro3 add-a-circuit fuse adapter which will fit into the switched fuse sockets F44 & F45. I bought a couple of add-a-circuit adapters off ebay (both seem to be from the same manufacturer) but try as I might I can't get them to fit into the fuse slots despite the fact that they seem the same size. The metal prongs maybe marginally thicker but fuses which look the same width slip in easily. I don't want to use excessive force as I don't want to damage the fuse box.
Any suggestions for alternative adapters, should I just accept the SD card will wear out or am I being a thicko some other way?

I have a query hard wiring a dashcam in my MG4 'hoping someone can help. I can wire into a permanent 12V Micro2 fuse socket (2 prong) which works fine. I'm not worried about the 12V going flat as the voltage occasionally jumps up to over 14V when the car is switched off so I think the MG is doing it's own monitoring of the 12V. My problem is the longevity of the SD card as its constantly writing 24/7.
I can't find a micro3 add-a-circuit fuse adapter which will fit into the switched fuse sockets F44 & F45. I bought a couple of add-a-circuit adapters off ebay (both seem to be from the same manufacturer) but try as I might I can't get them to fit into the fuse slots despite the fact that they seem the same size. The metal prongs maybe marginally thicker but fuses which look the same width slip in easily. I don't want to use excessive force as I don't want to damage the fuse box.
Any suggestions for alternative adapters, should I just accept the SD card will wear out or am I being a thicko some other way?

Which version of the MG4 do you have?
The reason I ask is that I faced a similar issue (see this post - Dashcam install), but managed to workaround it with a micro2 in the micro3 socket (if that makes sense), in order to get a reliable switched ignition source to the dashcam. That was with our SE SR, though.

As I thought, I'm a thicko, didn't find your post. I have a Trophy but I think the wiring in this part of the fuse box is the same, with my eyesight I couldn't see that only the top two holes were wired. I'll try this later thanks.

Just did mine yesterday and found that you can put a micro fuse tap on any of the sockets that are empty on the left side of the fuse bank. All that bank appear to be acc switched. All to the right seem to be permanently live.

Don't quote me on this
My son says if I put some gismo into the usb port on the rearview mirror it will record the footage from the front facing camers
MG ZS trophy connect

I have a nextbase dashcam, professionally installed with hard wire kit, I am not confident enough, it has been hard wired and as the MG Trophy does not use a start\stop switch, it is wired to a constant live connection.
the dashcam stops recording after a time with no motion detected, and starts up again as soon as motion detected. it will also start up if car has been nudged.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back