Problem whilst charging on 50kws

Keskinta

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,
It's being a while now I am having an issue when I try to charge my mg on the BP Pulse 50kw chargers, at around 30-35th minute, supply cuts out and I get an error on the dashboard "HV battery shut off"
Anyone else having this problem or managed to solve it ?

Thanks

Hi - I've not had that issue but, and please forgive me if you already know, you do realise that rapid chargers (i.e. 50Kw and above) shuts off at 80% charge? They can't charge to 100% so, depending on what car you have (i.e. the MG5 or ZS EV) and how much charge you started off with, you may have reached the limit by the 30-35th minute.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Hi - I've not had that issue but, and please forgive me if you already know, you do realise that rapid chargers (i.e. 50Kw and above) shuts off at 80% charge? They can't charge to 100% so, depending on what car you have (i.e. the MG5 or ZS EV) and how much charge you started off with, you may have reached the limit by the 30-35th minute.

Cheers

Bloggsy
Hi
not entirely sure that's right. I used a BP Pulse on Thursday and an Instavolt on Sunday, both charging to around 90. Albeit, when it went past 80%, charging dropped to half speed. It was around 2 miles a minute upto 80% then 1mile a min after 80%.
cheers
Nick

Cheers

Bloggsy
Any rapid charger can charge to 100%.

Yes - they drop off a cliff in terms of speed at around 80% but do continue. AC rapids maximum of just under 7kw with the MG regardless.

Hello,
It's being a while now I am having an issue when I try to charge my mg on the BP Pulse 50kw chargers, at around 30-35th minute, supply cuts out and I get an error on the dashboard "HV battery shut off"

Thanks
I think it's probably best to try it with other brands like podpoint, Instavolt, etc
Onced confirmed it happens with others then there is probably an issue with the onboard cha That would need dealer input. But make sure you are able to reproduce the problem every time otherwise they may shrug it off.

Also if you want to use any of the accessories, radio heating lights etc, while charging be sure to press the start button once after the charging starts to ensure the low 12 volt battery is getting topped up.

I think it's probably best to try it with other brands like podpoint, Instavolt, etc
Onced confirmed it happens with others then there is probably an issue with the onboard cha That would need dealer input. But make sure you are able to reproduce the problem every time otherwise they may shrug it off.

Also if you want to use any of the accessories, radio heating lights etc, while charging be sure to press the start button once after the charging starts to ensure the low 12 volt battery is getting topped up.
That's interesting, I didn't realise you could make it top up the 12V battery on a DC charger.

When on AC charger, it's automatically topping the 12v battery up at the same time isn't it?

I was under the impression that 1 or 2 presses of the start button (no brake pedal) only turns on the 12V system and that the HV battery was totally disconnected so it cannot and will not keep the 12V topped up and, that can cause your 12V battery to run low if you did it for a long time.

To do a DC charge, do you have to start it with the car completely shut off, or can it be in 1st or 2nd press standby mode, or even in ready mode?
Once it's started DC charging, you can then start the car - 1 press or 2 press standby mode or even ready mode?

I've no intention of ever doing this btw, just be interesting to know!

That's interesting, I didn't realise you could make it top up the 12V battery on a DC charger.

When on AC charger, it's automatically topping the 12v battery up at the same time isn't it?

I was under the impression that 1 or 2 presses of the start button (no brake pedal) only turns on the 12V system and that the HV battery was totally disconnected so it cannot and will not keep the 12V topped up and, that can cause your 12V battery to run low if you did it for a long time.

To do a DC charge, do you have to start it with the car completely shut off, or can it be in 1st or 2nd press standby mode, or even in ready mode?
Once it's started DC charging, you can then start the car - 1 press or 2 press standby mode or even ready mode?

I have only started a charge with car powered done/off.
I doubt you could start a charge in ready mode, and remain in ready mode, since you can't go into ready mode during a charge that was initiated from shutdown/off position.

I always rapid charge mine in ready mode so that I can use the HVAC cooling system, the handbook says HVAC only works in ready mode, after it's started DC charging I then start the car in ready mode.

1618256743473.png

Last edited:
When charging from a rapid charger, I switch on to see how many miles have been stored. Otherwise you keep needing to get out of the car and see what the charger says. On a longer journey, I charge up 90%, and maybe a little more. That way I get nearer max range...

I don't remember it saying "ready" in the dash when you switch the car on in charging mode. But I may be mistaken. But it does power up the system to allow heating/cooling any other ancillaries to work.

I don't remember it saying "ready" in the dash when you switch the car on in charging mode. But I may be mistaken. But it does power up the system to allow heating/cooling any other ancillaries to work.
No it doesn't show the "ready" green light after pressing the brake pedal + start button when you are rapid charging.

Hello,

Thanks
I’ve had similar a few days ago when using a BP Pulse rapid charger, whereby after 35 mins it stopped but the charger shown a disconnect error code. Whenever you rapid charge, your HV battery is disconnected from the car, so don’t worry about the warning, just press your foot hard on the brake pedal when you’ve finished charging and you press start.

Interesting discussion guys. We dont seem to have the 80%-100% issue here in Australia. Some chargers do have the option to select 'charge to only 80%' however I don't believe any actually force a disconnect at 80%. I also often have the HVAC going while DC charging as need to A/c running while working in the car as it charges.

Interesting discussion guys. We dont seem to have the 80%-100% issue here in Australia. Some chargers do have the option to select 'charge to only 80%' however I don't believe any actually force a disconnect at 80%. I also often have the HVAC going while DC charging as need to A/c running while working in the car as it charges.
That's interesting what you say about the option to charge to 80%, my local tesco has 4 7kw sockets and a 50kw rapid, when commissioned I asked the engineer about the rapid charger as it has a 80% button on it and haven't seen this before, his reply was he didn't know as it was a new type of charger from an Australian company.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom