Problems charging new ZS Trophy

Claire

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi everyone
I am looking for some advice please if anyone of of you lovely members could help me i would be so grateful , I collected my new long range ZS from the showroom on Wed this week first issue drove home approx 40 miles from the garage , car dropped almost 100 miles in charge ! , i tried to charge last night on a 22kw charger for over an hour got 2% and approx 5 miles 3kw which shouldnt be the case as far as i was lead to believe i am now down to 45% tried another “ Fast Charger “ 22kw again for 90 mins got about 3kw what am i doing wrong :cautious: I now only have 80 odd miles left i cant keep the car if its like this it will be of zero use to me i was encouraged to get this one telling me i could charge in 30 -40 mins on a fast charge i refuse to spend my whole life trying to charge a car that seems to use many more miles than driven and is taking forever to give me a pitiful amount of charge I can’t get a charger at home so i need to use public chargers i am using the new cable supplied with the car for charging so far. I would really really appreciate some help.
Thank you so much in advance
from a very anxious lady

Hi everyone
I am looking for some advice please if anyone of of you lovely members could help me i would be so grateful , I collected my new long range ZS from the showroom on Wed this week first issue drove home approx 40 miles from the garage , car dropped almost 100 miles in charge ! , i tried to charge last night on a 22kw charger for over an hour got 2% and approx 5 miles 3kw which shouldnt be the case as far as i was lead to believe i am now down to 45% tried another “ Fast Charger “ 22kw again for 90 mins got about 3kw what am i doing wrong :cautious: I now only have 80 odd miles left i cant keep the car if its like this it will be of zero use to me i was encouraged to get this one telling me i could charge in 30 -40 mins on a fast charge i refuse to spend my whole life trying to charge a car that seems to use many more miles than driven and is taking forever to give me a pitiful amount of charge I can’t get a charger at home so i need to use public chargers i am using the new cable supplied with the car for charging so far. I would really really appreciate some help.
Thank you so much in advance
from a very anxious lady
The ZS only had a single phase onboard charger meaning it tops out at 6.6kW / 7kW on AC"fast chargers"

The 30-40min is using DC rapid chargers with CCS2 connectors.

Only 2% over 90mins approx 3kwh sounds wrong unless you've been sold a 3ph 16A lead which is 3.68kW

Hi Claire and welcome !.
I am struggling to understand just how your range dropped by 100 miles of range on the GOM, when you only travelled an actual 40 miles in distance ?.
Even with everything turned on, this seems a bit excessive really.
The ZS EV will only pull about 7 kw's from either a home wall box or a public charging A/C single phase post.
Even if it is capable of out putting out 22 kw's the UK ZS model can only achieve around 7 Kw's.
As a quick guide, when charging from a 7 Kw A/C unit via a 32 Amp type 2 cable, you should be able to add about 25 miles of range to your battery for every hour on charge.
Just check you have a type 2 cable rated at 32 Amps ( the figures will be printed on the on the side of the charging gun, that you use to plug into your car ).
The much faster CCS D/C rapid chargers will achieve much faster charging speeds of course.
@N2STY makes a very good point, many of the Pod Point 7 Kw public posts, like you see at Tesco etc will commence the charge straight away, but you need to use the Pod Point App to confirm the charging process, or after fifteen minutes it will stop the charge !.

Last edited:
Thank you so much , i was given 2 chargers the 3 pin one and the dc charger but both days now i have only achieved 3kw for a 90 min charge which makes me think there is a problem either with the car or the cable i am in Scotland and both chargers are operated by Charge place Scotland, so i am currently sitting at 44 % charge with 90 miles remaining , you think it will need to be plugged in for about 6 hours or so ? I agree i felt that the range dropped very quickly from collecting the car which makes me think something is wrong sadly i will try charge again tomorrow thank you , is there any setting that i need to check on the car ? I did use my MG I smart app to slide the charge to 100% as i live rurally and wanted my battery charged fully so that i can check how much power i am losing daily . I really really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me

Thank you so much , i was given 2 chargers the 3 pin one and the dc charger but both days now i have only achieved 3kw for a 90 min charge which makes me think there is a problem either with the car or the cable i am in Scotland and both chargers are operated by Charge place Scotland, so i am currently sitting at 44 % charge with 90 miles remaining , you think it will need to be plugged in for about 6 hours or so ? I agree i felt that the range dropped very quickly from collecting the car which makes me think something is wrong sadly i will try charge again tomorrow thank you , is there any setting that i need to check on the car ? I did use my MG I smart app to slide the charge to 100% as i live rurally and wanted my battery charged fully so that i can check how much power i am losing daily . I really really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me
When you're plugged in, you can see the charge rate on the cars battery screen and also in the ismart app, just to see the rate of charge.

Also check to see if battery heating is on and if it is turn it off as it's only of benefit of it's -10C and you're looking for a rapid charger

Okay Claire - So, just to clarify a few points.
You have the LR version model, so you are able to adjust your requested SOC level on either the slide bar in the App or in the charging screen of the head unit of the car ?.
You have this pulled over to 100% SOC.
When the car has charging to 80% SOC you should be seeing a predicted range of around 210 miles on the GOM when every electrical item is turned OFF !.
This gives you an estimated target of what the LR should be achieving, when working correctly.
The dealer has provided you two means of charging your car.
You should have a A/C type 2 cable rated as 32 Amps that will allow you to pull 7 Kw's ( giving you about 25 miles of extra range added to you range for every hour that you spend charging ).
It would need about 6 - 8 hours overnight charge to hit 200 miles of predicted range, IF you where charging from a low SOC.
You currently have about 80 miles of predicted range remaining on the GOM right now, so from this level of SOC it would take about 5 hours of charging from a A/C post to hit the 80% SOC target.
Can you see that ?.
Your second unit they have given you, is a unit that is commonly called a "Granny" lead.
It will have a 13 Amp three pin plug on one end and the type 2 charging gun on the other end.
You can plug this plug into a standard domestic socket outlet at home or work.
BUT - The charging rates on these units are MUCH slower at around 2 Kw's Max and therefore the charging times scales are increased by about two and and a half times over the faster 7 Kw units !.
This bit is important Claire !.
When you enter the car and boot up into the READY condition for driving, please ensure that you have ALL of the electrical items turned OFF !.
Especially the HVAC ( heating system ).
If this is turned ON is will down grade your predicted range by as much as 30 miles if your heater setting is tuned up HIGH.
The heater element in your cabin heater, pulls energy straight from your large HV traction battery and is a greedy beast !.
You can try resetting BOTH of your trip mileage recorders as this will offer you a more accurate level of predicted range also.
Sorry if this is a bit rushed, but I am trying to get as much info across as soon as possible.
Please forgive me for any mistakes made in this post !.

Last edited:
connectors-overview-eng.png

As you can see, in Europe we have the Type 2 plug which is 7kW AC, and the CCS Type 2 which is upto 80kW DC on the ZS.
The Type 2 with the 3 pin plug takes the longest, only giving 3kW. The 7kW also takes tens of hours to charge, whereas the CCS takes tens of minutes. There are some good videos on Youtube on how to charge your EV.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The ZS only had a single phase onboard charger meaning it tops out at 6.6kW / 7kW on AC"fast chargers"

The 30-40min is using DC rapid chargers with CCS2 connectors.

Only 2% over 90mins approx 3kwh sounds wrong unless you've been sold a 3ph 16A lead which is 3.68kW
Thank you so very much , i will check this 👍🏻

connectors-overview-eng.png

As you can see, in Europe we have the Type 2 plug which is 7kW AC, and the CCS Type 2 which is upto 80kW DC on the ZS.
The Type 2 with the 3 pin plug takes the longest, only giving 3kW. The 7kW also takes tens of hours to charge, whereas the CCS takes tens of minutes. There are some good videos on Youtube on how to charge your EV.

Hope this helps.

Thank you much I really value your reply & your time it’s very much appreciated 🤗 Happy New year to you 🥂🍾

You have the LR version model, so you are able to adjust your requested SOC level on either the slide bar in the App or in the charging screen of the head unit of the car ?.
When the car has charging to 80% SOC you should be seeing a predicted range of around 210 miles on the GOM when every electrical item is turned OFF !.
This gives you an estimated target of what the LR should be achieving, when working correctly.
You should have a A/C type 2 cable rated as 32 Amps that will allow you to pull 7 Kw's ( giving you about 25 miles of extra range added to you range for every hour that you spend charging ).
It would need about 6 - 8 hours overnight charge to hit 200 miles of predicted range, IF you where charging from a low SOC.
You currently have about 80 miles of predicted range remaining on the GOM right now, so from this level of SOC it would take about 5 hours of charging from a A/C post to hit the 80% SOC target.
Can you see that ?.
Your second unit they have given you, is a unit that is commonly called a "Granny" lead.
It will have a 13 Amp three pin plug on one end and the type 2 charging gun on the other end.
BUT - The charging rates on these units are MUCH slower at around 2 Kw's Max and therefore the charging times scales are increased by about two and and a half times over the faster 7 Kw units !.
When you enter the car and boot up into the READY condition for driving, please ensure that you have ALL of the electrical items turned OFF !.
If this is turned ON is will down grade your predicted range by as much as 30 miles if your heater setting is tuned up HIGH.
The heater element in your cabin heater, pulls energy straight from your large HV traction battery and is a greedy beast !.
You can try resetting BOTH of your trip mileage recorders as this will offer you a more accurate level of predicted range also.
Sorry if this is a bit rushed, but I am trying to get as much info across as soon as possible.
Thank you very much I really appreciated your time & help 😊, I will take the car back down today and just park up until it’s charged , I feel the dealer didn’t explain all of this to me properly and was getting so anxious I was never going to be able to charge my car or something was wrong with it or I was doing something wrong 😔 , wishing you a very Happy New Year 🍾🥂
Can you see that ?.

Are you confirming charge with company your using some will only charge a few minutes with out confirmation?
Thank you for your reply it is operated by Charge place Scotland , so should be ok but I will double check this with them today Thank you so very much for taking the time to help me I greatly appreciate this, Wishing you a very Happy New Year 🥂🍾

I am so very grateful to you all for your help and advice i truly cant thank you all enough i will head back to the charger today and charge up I think going forward i will just go down and park over night and collect in the morning , the dealer didnt explain any of this and the info given was completely contradictory to the advice you very kind people have given me here 😔 I will post an update later on and let you all know how i get on today 🤞🏼, Wishing you all a Very Happy New Year 🍾🥂 I hope 2023 brings you health wealth happiness and a full charge on your cars 😁🚘 😊

When you're plugged in, you can see the charge rate on the cars battery screen and also in the ismart app, just to see the rate of charge.

Also check to see if battery heating is on and if it is turn it off as it's only of benefit of it's -10C and you're looking for a rapid charger
How can I check if the battery heater is on ? I am guessing this is different to the heater in the car 🤔

How can I check if the battery heater is on ? I am guessing this is different to the heater in the car 🤔
If you click on the infotainment screen where it says charging / discharging and has a coloured bar, it'll load up the battery window, click on the last tab an it'll show energy usage, there'll be a toggle switch saying battery heater or something to that effect

@Ayoull Fantastic Thank you so very much I will check this , I truly appreciate your help & advice so turn this off before the charge today ?
It just wants to be off unless it's really cold and you're on your way to a rapid charger else it's of no benefit and just burning energy for no reason

Avoid 22kW AC chargers, there's no advantage over a 7kW using them on the ZS. Unless they are free you're paying extra for a charging speed you cannot attain.
Use a 7kW one to see if that improves the speed, if that doesn't work, try another cable.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom