Problems with smart charging. Rolec charging point

LouiseT

Novice Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can help me with smart charging. We purchased our zs in December and been successfully granny charging it on an evening with a timer plug to charge off peak hours...we’ve just had a rolec smart charger installed. Unfortunately only after we had it installed we’ve researched how many problems mg have on smart charging! We’ve set the app up so it only charges off peak however it’s not “waking up” to charge at this time. Has anyone had this resolved? Do I need to be speaking to the dealer for an update or rolec to sort this issue out?

Hi. There’s loads about smart charging on here - as you’ve probably noticed! I would suggest you approach both MG and Rolec. As a very high level summary; the MG must have the software installed that allows a smart charge - it sounds like your car does if you’ve been smart timed charging with the granny lead (but still check with MG). The charger must be able to smart charge with the MG in a way that works for both the charger and the car (again a check with Rolec might help). There are other ways of checking that are covered in detailed posts on this forum. I hope that this helps. Good luck!

Louise...I would contact Rolec direct...They are very good and will look to resolve speedily. They will at least be able to indicate whether there product has any issues with charging MG cars

I was going to post that this is covered in the MG5 forum, but I see you've been there. Have you been in contact with ev.energy who produce the app for Rolec chargers? They may be able to help.

Yeah been in contact with ev.energy their resolve is having a trickle charge to stop the car going to sleep but to me that’s just costing unesscary money when I just want it charging during off peak hours only. I’ll contact rolec on Monday see what they suggest. It’s just frustrating as no one told us this not the mg garage that recommended rolec or rolec themselves that mg isn’t actually set up for a smart charge right now. I’ve heard good things about zappi though? Just wondering what the chances are of rolec taking back the product and we go else where

There's a fault with ev.energy side of things ie the software. They should have mentioned it?

Also if the purchase was December last month, you will have or should have had the timed charging fix (which means you can schedule upto 10 hours in advance) applied; this was released mid-2020.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom