• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Project OBD2 - Mobile App v1.2.1 and later

I think it is correct that both the OBC and EVCC may both need to be updated for timed charging depending on ones current version, but I am suspicious that there may be other elements to this. I had the OBD updated so I could charge unlocked, but my EVCC was not updated to the latest version and whilst my car would thereafter charge unlocked, timed charging didn't work. My EVCC ends in ...611. I took the car back to the dealer. On this second occasion they told me that they had now updated the relevant ECU's after consultation with MG and sure enough, timed charging now works even with the ...611 EVCC which was not updated and which is not the latest version. So it appears, on that second occasion, they did something that did not involve updating either the OBD or EVCC to get timed charging to work in my car.
Useful reply from fellow member after having reply from dealer.

See here

Post in thread 'Rolec charger problem' Rolec c

According to the app, my soh has dropped from 99.59 on 14th March to 99.16 on 25th March and now to 98.55 today.

That seems a bit concerning?

I think it is correct that both the OBC and EVCC may both need to be updated for timed charging depending on ones current version, but I am suspicious that there may be other elements to this. I had the OBD updated so I could charge unlocked, but my EVCC was not updated to the latest version and whilst my car would thereafter charge unlocked, timed charging didn't work. My EVCC ends in ...611. I took the car back to the dealer. On this second occasion they told me that they had now updated the relevant ECU's after consultation with MG and sure enough, timed charging now works even with the ...611 EVCC which was not updated and which is not the latest version. So it appears, on that second occasion, they did something that did not involve updating either the OBD or EVCC to get timed charging to work in my car.
It'll be the configuration updates that they have to do as well when it's plugged into the laptop.
It'd be nice if there was a way to pull these mysterious config settings from the ECU...

According to the app, my soh has dropped from 99.59 on 14th March to 99.16 on 25th March and now to 98.55 today.

That would concern me too.
Have you been collecting the data to see if there's anything there that could explain it?
Have you been doing full AC charges and balances recently, that should allow the car to figure out what the true correct full voltage attainable is.

That would concern me too.
Have you been collecting the data to see if there's anything there that could explain it?
Have you been doing full AC charges and balances recently, that should allow the car to figure out what the true correct full voltage attainable is.
I've done a couple of full ac charges and balances. Maybe 3. I'm doing around 1.5-2k miles a month.

Had the dodgy bms update but during the time I had it I barely used the car so it didn't take much to get it up to the expected 449 volts.

I've done a couple of full ac charges and balances. Maybe 3. I'm doing around 1.5-2k miles a month.

Had the dodgy bms update but during the time I had it I barely used the car so it didn't take much to get it up to the expected 449 volts.
What's your total mileage - any where near where you'd "expect" to start getting degradation?

Do you do many DC charges?

What's your total mileage - any where near where you'd "expect" to start getting degradation?

Do you do many DC charges?
Mileage is 18.5k so I guess the total degradation for that mileage seems probably about fair? It's more the drop in the last month that is concerning now I'm able to monitor it through the app.

Very few DC charges and none in the month. Maybe even just 1 or 2 this year.

Mileage is 18.5k so I guess the total degradation for that mileage seems probably about fair? It's more the drop in the last month that is concerning now I'm able to monitor it through the app.

Very few DC charges and none in the month. Maybe even just 1 or 2 this year.
I rapid charge mine once per week and AC charge + balance it twice per month, 8K Km on the clock, 6 months of ownership and 100% SOH according to the app. I don't think DC charging is the main reason for battery degradation.

Last edited:
At around 8k kw/ 5k miles i would not expect much degradation even with rapid use. Once a week rapid is not really a lot and I think would have minimal effect. My experience of extensively (nearly every day - sometimes twice a day for business travel) using rapid charging is it does affect range slowly at first and starts to show much more after around 12 Months/15k miles of use and then later in life the battery pack really does go downhill quickly in terms of range and it’s ability to rapid charge quickly. I wouldn’t buy a second hand EV with extensive rapid charging history for that reason alone. This experience is not with an MG EV but I think the same may apply. I don’t think many MG EV’s will be subject to that kind of use though (taxis perhaps) - most will AC charge anyway most of the time.

Nearly 17000 miles and all well and good with mine, no difference from new whatsoever, mainly fast charged and rarely rapid charged....perhaps that’s why..

And after 3 full charges since Friday and 2 rapid charges sue to trips away, my SOH has now dropped overnight from 98.55 to 97.52.

And after 3 full charges since Friday and 2 rapid charges sue to trips away, my SOH has now dropped overnight from 98.55 to 97.52.
Something not right there, maybe a faulty cell unit pack, best thing is to use Car scanner app on the App store and see the voltages of each pack one to nine, if one is more out than the rest then that maybe indicated by a larger voltage difference between maximum and minimum. Torque pro can do it too but requires a little more setup.

Something not right there, maybe a faulty cell unit pack, best thing is to use Car scanner app on the App store and see the voltages of each pack one to nine, if one is more out than the rest then that maybe indicated by a larger voltage difference between maximum and minimum. Torque pro can do it too but requires a little more setup.
Is it best to do a full charge and balance before checking that? I've just set up Torque Pro via links and instructions from the Facebook group which will have the voltage reading for each of the 9 packs.

Is it best to do a full charge and balance before checking that? I've just set up Torque Pro via links and instructions from the Facebook group which will have the voltage reading for each of the 9 packs.
I think both and also while charging keep an eye on it too, especially if one unit pack has irregular min/max and circuit temperature or min/max voltage readings then the rest.

Last edited:
I think both and also while charging keep an eye on it too, especially if one unit pack has irregular min/max and circuit temperature or min/max voltage readings then the rest.

Looks like the torque pro readings just give the cell error figures. Not sure if this is any good for diagnosing the issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-28-10-52-58-324_org.prowl.torque.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-28-10-52-58-324_org.prowl.torque.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 150
  • Screenshot_2021-04-28-11-09-53-467_org.prowl.torque.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-28-11-09-53-467_org.prowl.torque.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 223
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back