• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Project OBD2 - Mobile App v1.2.1 and later

I do have a copy of the latest Thai app Feb 22
Is that the unofficial Thai app, the subject of this topic, or the official MG app as used in Thailand?

Only the unofficial app has version numbers, as far as I know.

What version number does it show?

[ Edit: I see that it was 2.5.0, now 2.8.0. See first post in this thread for a link. ]

Last edited:
vgate-icar-pro-car-scanner-ebay-jpg.3327

[ Edit: The above photo is NOT AN ENDORSEMENT for that dongle; it's just the one I used for the data in this post. Most of my OBD2 work so far has been on a Konnwei 903 Bluetooth 4. I haven't owned the iCar dongle for long enough to have formed an opinion. ... ]
I've had the above dongle for long enough to have formed an opinion now.

It's OK. Does the job, but I notice that with some data intensive apps (like the unofficial Thai app when starting up), it works better if I have my phone pointed fairly closely to the dongle. Maybe it has really low RF power.

So for my very casual use, it's fine. For someone who needs more reliability (e.g. a workshop), I'd say pay more and get a better model.

The LEDs are visible from above in the photo, which in my Mark I ZS EV is towards the driver, so that's a slight plus.

vgate-icar-pro-car-scanner-ebay-jpg.3327

I've had the above dongle for long enough to have formed an opinion now.

It's OK. Does the job, but I notice that with some data-intensive apps (like the unofficial Thai app when starting up), it works better if I have my phone pointed fairly closely to the dongle. Maybe it has low RF power.

So for my very casual use, it's fine. For someone who needs more reliability (e.g. a workshop), I'd say pay more and get a better model.

The LEDs are visible from above in the photo, which in my Mark I ZS EV is towards the driver, so that's a slight plus.
I found mine worked better when I used an extension cable, plugged it into the socket hung it over the steering wheel next to the central console where I sit the phone, it is now easier to plug and unplug it from the extension as I do find it needs reset every so often by unplugging it, works great with satnav software ABRP, gives me charge rate when charging and battery level when charging it is about 3% out due to MG battery software update, when using the Pro. ABRP navigation software, it gives the state of charge on-screen when navigation is on screen but not being used and when you are using it to navigate it also gives you what you should have left when you get there, also how many charges you require, it gives you suggested charging stations on the route you have keyed in, it uses the OBD information of speed, and any electrical equipment used on the drive to give an accurate %, it also allows you to add information like if you are using a roof box so it can work out extra drag etc.
The biggest issue I have is with carplay dropping out, it becomes a major pain with the new phone laws not allowing you to touch your phone to reset carplay

Hi,

Can someone repost the link to the OBD device please the links are broken? I too would like to disable the day time running lights but more so for when I’m doing V2L. My car seems to time out when I lock the car so need to have the car unlocked and turned on but don’t want to attract attention to the car. Especially as it’s getting darker earlier and earlier at this time of year.

Hi,

Can someone repost the link to the OBD device please the links are broken? I too would like to disable the day time running lights but more so for when I’m doing V2L. My car seems to time out when I lock the car so need to have the car unlocked and turned on but don’t want to attract attention to the car. Especially as it’s getting darker earlier and earlier at this time of year.
For anyone who likes to have additional data on their MG ZS EV (mki or mkii) then if you have an OBD2 dongle ELM327 like the NEXPEAK NX101 PRO or similar like I do then you can get State on Health and battery temperature etc.. The Thai app works on android phones only and is available free of charge via the Google Play store by searching ‘ezs’ and is currently running version 3.1.3. Please note…State of Charge on the app is based on Thai BMS (battery management systems) so % is wrong and display is in kilometres. You can turn off/on daytime running lights too if that floats your 🚤 boat and get the ECU software version from the cars computer.

The Thai app works on android phones only and is available free of charge via the Google Play store...
Brilliant!

I've updated the first post with this link:

eZS - Apps on Google Play

If you are using an Android phone to view this post, you can just click on the link and it will take you to the Play Store. On a PC, it will take you to a web page with the details.

I had to uninstall and re-install to get the latest version, presumably because I had installed from an apk file. Hopefully from now on it will auto update, like most Android apps.

Last edited:
For anyone who likes to have additional data on their MG ZS EV (mki or mkii) then if you have an OBD2 dongle ELM327 like the NEXPEAK NX101 PRO or similar like I do then you can get State on Health and battery temperature etc.. The Thai app works on android phones only and is available free of charge via the Google Play store by searching ‘ezs’ and is currently running version 3.1.3. Please note…State of Charge on the app is based on Thai BMS (battery management systems) so % is wrong and display is in kilometres. You can turn off/on daytime running lights too if that floats your 🚤 boat and get the ECU software version from the cars computer.
Thank-you! I’ve just bought the dongle and downloaded the app. Currently waiting 2 weeks for delivery. When I want the daytime running lights back ON do I have to re-enable them in the app or will the car reset when I turn on and off the IGNITION do you know?

Thank-you! I’ve just bought the dongle and downloaded the app. Currently waiting 2 weeks for delivery. When I want the daytime running lights back ON do I have to re-enable them in the app or will the car reset when I turn on and off the IGNITION do you know?
On my Mk2 ZS EV, the daylight running light switch does not work unfortunately. Everything else works in the app OK. The other problem I have is that if I leave the dongle attached and linking to the app, when I lock the car, the alarm sounds.

Brilliant!

I've updated the first post with this link:

eZS - Apps on Google Play

If you are using an Android phone to view this post, you can just click on the link and it will take you to the Play Store. On a PC, it will take you to a web page with the details.

I had to uninstall and re-install to get the latest version, presumably because I had installed from an apk file. Hopefully from now on it will auto update, like most Android apps.
eZS - Apps on Google Play I'm in Israel and I'm not allowed to download the app. Post the link here! Thank you.

I have a Mk2 ZS. Using the NEXPEAK NX101 PRO (£8 from Aliexpress). The DRL switch works and leaving the dongle in does not trigger any alarms. It also has an on/off switch but the alarm is not triggered whether on or off.

Take the dongle out after use as your phone will continue to attempt to contact the cars ecu when the car is off and in my experience this triggers the car alarm. In regards to turning off the drl lights this has to be done via the app. If you turn the car off you will reset the drl lights.

On my Mk2 ZS EV, the daylight running light switch does not work unfortunately. Everything else works in the app OK. The other problem I have is that if I leave the dongle attached and linking to the app, when I lock the car, the alarm sounds.
Yes, your phone will continue to attemp to contact the cars ecu which triggers the alarm so as I only use the app on long journeys to see battery temp etc I always remove the obdii dongle. The drl do switch on/off with the ELM327 NEXPEAK pro 101 so I assume your dongle is limiting the functionality of the app

I have a Mk2 ZS. Using the NEXPEAK NX101 PRO (£8 from Aliexpress). The DRL switch works and leaving the dongle in does not trigger any alarms. It also has an on/off switch but the alarm is not triggered whether on or off.
The alarm will trigger when car is off but the obdii has been left in the on position as your phone will continue to try and communicate via Bluetooth with the obdii / car ecu when in range and if this happens it tends to trigger the alarm so I only tend to use obdii /app on long journeys and then remove

we can't download app from google play. install the application on the forum!
That seems crazy that they would not allow it.

I'd post a link to my Google Drive, but I don't believe that I can get access to the .apk file from a phone it's installed on, at least without a lot of trouble.

Can someone confirm that the app will show the SoH incorrectly? As mine is showing 96.82% for a 5 month car this seems a lot.

Can someone confirm that the app will show the SoH incorrectly? As mine is showing 96.82% for a 5 month car this seems a lot.
The Thai app is programmed for the Thai bms not the uk. So SoC isn’t correct but SoH should be. Is your car a brand new mkii zs or mki zs? Do you rapid charge a lot as this does effect degradation of the back pack.

The Thai app is programmed for the Thai bms not the uk. So SoC isn’t correct but SoH should be. Is your car a brand new mkii zs or mki zs? Do you rapid charge a lot as this does effect degradation
It's ZS Mkii Standard range, been charging via granny charger for almost last 5 months with 3 dc charges only when I got it initially.

My guess is the SoH is correct (your dealer will be able to confirm this if you ask them to plug your car in). Is your car high mileage? Do u charge to 100% SoC often as my mkii long range ZS does require a full battery balance every 4-6 weeks to balance its cells although I understand your car uses different battery technology and can be regularly charged to 100% will no ill effects. I’d recommend charging to 100% as often as you can as you have LFP batteries which are happy to accept 100% charge on a regular basis

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom