• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Project OBD2 - Mobile App v1.2.1 and later

DRL daytime running lights . Can switch them off temporarily.

I think next step is incorporating the PID for our cars into Torque pro, to get meaningful data.
Anyone got experience on this?

There is a newer version of the Thai app... Android only... Plenty of information is present, SoH, SoC battery temperature... Update versions too.

No need for torque pro unless you want a nicer layout. Pics below are all from personal testing. All I needed was a £10 Bluetooth OBD2 device (eBay link, others may work too ) .

Incidentally, the BMS on mine is R28 (??July update). If we can find out what the October and January updates were named would be useful.

Screenshot_20210224_233540_com.mg.zs.mgzsev.jpg
Screenshot_20210224_233748_com.mg.zs.mgzsev.jpg
Screenshot_20210224_233038_com.mg.zs.mgzsev.jpg
Screenshot_20210224_233032_com.mg.zs.mgzsev.jpg

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It only shows the info under the "Battery" tab on mine, no TPMS or General data. 😞
And the DRLs off/on doesn't do anything.

Last edited:
There is a newer version of the Thai app... Android only... Plenty of information is present, SoH, SoC battery temperature... Update versions too.

No need for torque pro unless you want a nicer layout. Pics below are all from personal testing. All I needed was a £10 Bluetooth OBD2 device (eBay link, others may work too ) .

Incidentally, the BMS on mine is R28 (??July update). If we can find out what the October and January updates were named would be useful.

View attachment 1729View attachment 1730View attachment 1731View attachment 1732

FANTASTIC :)))))

I've just ordered the one you've linked to.

Unfortunately I'm an IOS man.
I've got a few android devices around somewhere so I'll find one out, I've downloaded the app you linked to ready.

I put a version dump here:
Couldn't find anything identifying which version was which, I only got this:
BMS 0823600P09 (believe 1016620R40 is the duff 24/10/2020 update)

My car got updated in the first week of September and mine is also on the BMS that ends in R28. Pretty nifty little app which gives you some good data (especially about battery temp / SoC / SoH) which I'd previously been looking at OVMS to get that data. Cheap Vgate Bluetooth dongle I got from Amazon a few years back and a 9 year old MotoG phone and I could get some pretty decent data on the car!

Screenshot_20210225-153050_ZS_EV.png
Screenshot_20210225-153131_ZS_EV.png
Screenshot_20210225-153140_ZS_EV.png

My car got updated in the first week of September and mine is also on the BMS that ends in R28. Pretty nifty little app which gives you some good data (especially about battery temp / SoC / SoH) which I'd previously been looking at OVMS to get that data. Cheap Vgate Bluetooth dongle I got from Amazon a few years back and a 9 year old MotoG phone and I could get some pretty decent data on the car!

View attachment 1739
View attachment 1740
View attachment 1741
Glad you got it working.

Full battery is 97% in the App.
Guessing top and bottom buffer 1.5%.

If the January update also get 97% then will confirm available power range is the same and likely buffer percentages were indeed changed.

Equalising/balancing current is around minus 0.2A.

It only shows the info under the "Battery" tab on mine, no TPMS or General data. 😞
And the DRLs off/on doesn't do anything.
Just to ask, how long did you wait for data to refresh as the polling speed for each item can be slow.

My MXLink+ should be fast but was only updating 1 item per second. ECU versions took far longer as well.

Just to ask, how long did you wait for data to refresh as the polling speed for each item can be slow.

My MXLink+ should be fast but was only updating 1 item per second. ECU versions took far longer as well.
Not long, I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Full battery is 97% in the App.
Guessing top and bottom buffer 1.5%.

If the January update also get 97% then will confirm available power range is the same and likely buffer percentages were indeed changed.

Equalising/balancing current is around minus 0.2A.
When you say full battery shows 97% in the app, is that the SOC parameter?
I’m really surprised if it doesn’t show 100% as you’d think that is the same data item that it shows in the dash when charging - I’m assuming it does goto 99% and then 100% on the dash when charging, or does yours stop charging at 97%???? Not easy to find out without sitting watching it in the car!

When you say full battery shows 97% in the app, is that the SOC parameter?
I’m really surprised if it doesn’t show 100% as you’d think that is the same data item that it shows in the dash when charging - I’m assuming it does goto 99% and then 100% on the dash when charging, or does yours stop charging at 97%???? Not easy to find out without sitting watching it in the car!
100% on dash
SoC is recording as 97%.

In guessing it's including the buffers which add upto the 3%.

Not long, I'll give it another go tomorrow.
Yeah it can take 10-20 seconds or so... Just like the firmware versions takes a while to populate on the first run.
Each adapter will have different transfer speeds too.
older ones might take longer as might cheap ones, like mine.

Last edited:
100% on dash
SoC is recording as 97%.

In guessing it's including the buffers which add upto the 3%.
I wonder if they see the same thing via OVMS.
They've found a lot of the PIDs on the OVMS project, so we maybe able to add them too to an app or something.

I am happy with the information we get with this app.
My next project is to have complete access from the infortainment system.

Just need to tidy up a few loose ends.
IMG_20210225_200524.jpg

Could also browse the internet (legally) while on the move (eg. Waiting at lights or in queue) and type messages ...although that's probably easier with Google dictation keyboard.
IMG_20210225_201738.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding the versions of software.
I've created a spreadsheet.
I've added @AbuG and @shikoku14 data to it, along with a copy I got from OVMS website.

@AbuG & @shikoku14 have different SCU versions.
BMS / EVCC / EPS are different to the OMVS version I got.

So can we try to work out what these could be based on what updates you guys have had? Have you got the dash mode/kers graphics too - be nice to work out what that is.

1614286501502.png

Last edited:
Yeah it can take 10-20 seconds or so... Just like the firmware versions takes a while to populate on the first run.
Each adapter will have different transfer speeds too.
older ones might take longer as might cheap ones, like mine.
Tried it again last night and sure enough after waiting a while it fully populated on all 3 tabs (y)

I did get a bit worried when I lost the top line on the infotainment screen where the temperature, time and heater setting are, thinking I'd upset something by plugging my cheap OBD2 adapter in but when I tried it again later it came back, I think it was just down to it being frosty last night as the infotainment system plays up when cold, sometimes taking a couple of minutes to boot.

I know nothing (other than that I have read on here) about this but am interested at a price point. First threads on this were talking hundreds of pounds but the link from @AbuG (post#22) above

ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 Bluetooth PIC18f25k80 Chip EOBD Car Auto Diagnostic Scanner | eBay

at £11 is interesting.

Could someone give a brief overview of what is required, including where to plug it in :)
The socket is under the steering wheel area.
It looks useful if you are curious about things - perhaps it may be good to view how balanced your battery is.
I checked out the one on Ebay and the website for app it suggested (I think most apps relate to ICE cars).

I read that this device can only read data and not make changes, which sounds good for avoiding problems. It would be good if someone with one could confirm this.

I think the more expensive units can also change setting on the car - some people are hoping it will eventually let them do things like pre-heating the car.

The socket is under the steering wheel area.
It looks useful if you are curious about things - perhaps it may be good to view how balanced your battery is.
I checked out the one on Ebay and the website for app it suggested (I think most apps relate to ICE cars).

I read that this device can only read data and not make changes, which sounds good for avoiding problems. It would be good if someone with one could confirm this.

I think the more expensive units can also change setting on the car - some people are hoping it will eventually let them do things like pre-heating the car.
Thanks. I don't think I would trust myself changing things, but I regard curiosity as a quest for knowledge and understanding. :cool:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom