Public charge protocol

bigron

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
after 5 days of ownership, we are going on our longest trip from Kent to Bristol we need to charge when we arrive, is there any protocol’s that people observe or is it “play by ear”

Last edited:
Hi there and congrats on getting your car. I've had mine 4 days now and loving it. It's my third EV.

If you use Zap-Map when you get to Bristol it should show you where the chargers are and if they are in use and available. If there are a lot of people charging, I usually ask if there is a queue, who's next and how long will they be. (That's only happened once at Exeter services when there were only 2 chargers.)

Have you planned your route and know where you are charging?

I used zap map to find a charger near where we are going it is in the Tesco store in warmly just before the town centre, it is showing 4 chargers so hopefully 1 will be free, just wanted to know what people do if they are all busy. Is it worth putting a mobile number on dashboard so people could contact if they need to

Thanks for that. I have Downloaded the app and printed off some labels, is this wide spread or something that is just getting started

Thanks for that. I have Downloaded the app and printed off some labels, is this wide spread or something that is just getting started
I first heard about this a couple of years ago. It’s an interesting idea and could be useful- BUT - I’ve never seen it in use.
does anyone use it ??

I have the label on my dashboard, but I've only charged at the free chargers at Tesco, and no one's needed a charge yet. :)

I used zap map to find a charger near where we are going it is in the Tesco store in warmly just before the town centre, it is showing 4 chargers so hopefully 1 will be free, just wanted to know what people do if they are all busy. Is it worth putting a mobile number on dashboard so people could contact if they need to
Those are "fast" chargers that give a maximum of 7.2kW, or about 25miles each hour. If you are in Keynsham then parking is restricted to 2 hours so take care.
The Lidl nearer the centre of Warmly has a 50kW Rapid that may be more appropriate.

I first heard about this a couple of years ago. It’s an interesting idea and could be useful- BUT - I’ve never seen it in use.
does anyone use it ??
Not me, and I've never seen anyone else use it. I think it only makes sense when someone doesn't mind giving up their space at a charger, which sadly is virtually never. When people need to charge - they need to charge!

Zap-map is great, though I've never been clear for some chargers around me that appear to be private ones for residents or business - it's on the map, but there are big signs up prohibiting use unless xyz. So it's a bit hit and miss.

Tesco podpoints are great, but people around mine (particularly taxis) are starting to see them as free-for-all charge, parking up and leaving their car there for 3 hours (the maximum allowed) while NOT shopping.

Ultimately on my last trip I chose a hotel deliberately because there was a charger nearby (no free, sadly, but conveniently close), and made sure that I planned my activities around predicted need for charging.

Probably best to use this;

Print out the label and put it on the dashboard or in a tax disk holder. If someone needs to charge, they put in your licence plate number and needtocharge sends you a message. :)
Personally I think the need to charge app is not a good thing. I will only use public charging when i need to and will leave as soon as I can, rarely going beyond 80% on a rapid. I can't imagine any circumstances where someone might contact me and I'd be prepared to move sooner.

Similarly, I wouldn't dream of contacting someone who was legitimately charging and ask if they would give way to me.

I think some people use apps like this (or leave number on dashboard) as an excuse to charge for longer than they should, reasoning that if someone wants to charge they will contact them.

The onus should be on the person currently charging to vacate the charger after a reasonable period (or once charge rate tapers) not for the person waiting to request it.

Personally I think the need to charge app is not a good thing. I will only use public charging when i need to and will leave as soon as I can, rarely going beyond 80% on a rapid. I can't imagine any circumstances where someone might contact me and I'd be prepared to move sooner.

Similarly, I wouldn't dream of contacting someone who was legitimately charging and ask if they would give way to me.

I think some people use apps like this (or leave number on dashboard) as an excuse to charge for longer than they should, reasoning that if someone wants to charge they will contact them.

The onus should be on the person currently charging to vacate the charger after a reasonable period (or once charge rate tapers) not for the person waiting to request it.
In most circumstances, I think you are correct. However, if I had a call that a family member was taken seriously ill and I needed to get there ASAP and needed a top-up charge to get there, a method of contacting someone using a charger would be very useful.

I would gladly interrupt my charge to help someone out in an emergency. (Okay, they may be scamming you, but you can usually tell if someone is in genuine distress.)

In most circumstances, I think you are correct. However, if I had a call that a family member was taken seriously ill and I needed to get there ASAP and needed a top-up charge to get there, a method of contacting someone using a charger would be very useful.

I would gladly interrupt my charge to help someone out in an emergency. (Okay, they may be scamming you, but you can usually tell if someone is in genuine distress.)
We still have an ICE as well as 2 EV's in our 'fleet', but even if I didn't I wouldn't be hanging around at a charger or driving at 60mph to maximise range in the event of a genuine family emergency. If it was a genuine emergency and I needed to be somewhere quick and my EV wasn't charged, a friend would help out by lending me a vehicle or driving me or I'd book a taxi. And I'm speaking as someone who had 'that call' and needed to make a 250 mile journey to see my father before he passed.

Etiquette for charging?

It's generally accepted that when you connect to a vacant rapid charger (>=50kW), that you vacate the charger when you reach 80% SOC (State Of Charge), if there is someone else waiting to charge. This is a bit historic as a lot of newer EV continue to charge at quite high rates past this level and don't unnecessarily extend their time on the charger. My ZS EV LR has the NMC battery pack and I have seen 65kW at 85%, with it then plummeting to 25kW.

I would never put my contact details in the car for anyone to use while I am on a charger. I did look at the "need to charge" app, but agree with @WalkingBootWeather that it's not a good idea and certainly not needed.

For long journey planning I would advise looking at ABRP (A Better Route Planner). I would suggest setting it to find charging locations with at least 4 chargers. I find:

Tesla chargers (you will need to download the Tesla app and register your credit or debit card to use them), are really good and spread out well with multiple chargers at each location.

GrideServe has installed some amazing sites for rapid charging now, they just use your credit or debit card at the charger and are very easy to use.

Ionity are quite expensive for non Audi/VW/Porche owners, but are also reliable and usually in banks of 4 or more.

MFG also has a lot of good sites, just need you to pay with your Credit/Debit card at the charger.

There are others that I am sure more forum members will advise on for charging.

If you ever venture into Scotland then you will need a charge-place-scotland card. I think this is now run by SWARCO, so maybe their app will suffice.

Last edited:
When I raised this post I was thinking more about cars still plug in but fully charged, or do most people just time themselves and come back

When I raised this post I was thinking more about cars still plug in but fully charged, or do most people just time themselves and come back
My tip is would not queue for charger the Zap map will tell you the next near charger or it have sat nav this will as well. Be careful if you do queue that the place is not a car park that you have a certain time you can say because if you go over this then you will get a charge also some chargers could have this if you stay on them over a set time.

Yes, I think that’s what it’s all about, giving the owner of the blocking car a wee gentle nudge to remind them as they drink ANOTHER coffee and let them know you have arrived- it was possibly three hours ago that they plugged in their hybrid next to the diesel in the other bay 😡😡

after 5 days of ownership, we are going on our longest trip from Kent to Bristol we need to charge when we arrive, is there any protocol’s that people observe or is it “play by ear”
I use public charging all the time (no home charging available ), its play it by ear, if its rapid I tend to work out the time it'll take, take the dog for a walk getting back in time to unplug it. If its ac charging, plug it in and leave it all day if wanting a balance charge or time it to get back when it has the required charge.which it never has 🤣

If you are using the Tesco charger just check on the podpoint app for parking restrictions, same as other sites. I usually set the timer on my phone when I enter the carpark to allow me to know when I need to leave. If you can get a no parking restriction site, then great, but please consider the length of charge you need and try not to overstay and block others. There nothing worse than getting yo a charge point to find a charged car blocking the space. Have a great trip. I have now completed several long trips, in my experience it is better to get a top up charge when you can (say down to 60%) then pick additional charges later.. You may find it more stressful if you can't get a charge when you are getting low.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom