Public Charging Experience

SDP79

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Traveling from Chelmsford Essex to Chinley Derbyshire - 198 miles. This was our first long journey in our MG5 LR. Indeed out first EV long journey! Theoretically we should be able to do this on one charge but I had my suspicions that this would not be possible - I was proved right! I planned to do a top up charge at some point and researched a few possibilities. All were to be Gridserve as I knew that no sign up was required and you turn up, plug in and swipe card and charge.
First stop Leicester Forest East Services. As I pulled up I saw 4 vacant chargers. However both proved to be not working! Still pressed on to next possibility which was Donnington Park. 4 chargers including one Chademo plus a Tesla. All occupied, everyone was behaving themselves and we formed an orderly queue and I chatted with other EV users who were far more experience than me in this. Plugged, in swiped card and started charging 38p per Kw - which is quite reasonable these days. Stopped for lunch about 40mins. Checked car several times out of curiosity and received 15 kw so rate was around 22 kw per hr. - not great. Seems the more vehicles charging then the rates drop - is this right?
During our holiday we charged up on the granny lead over night so nothing to report there.
On our return we stopped at Trowel Services - 4 chargers - only 2 working. This time charged for 25mins - for 15 kw so rate was around 36 kw per min - so much better.
Definitely had to do one charge if traveling time was to be reasonable. Overall at motorway speeds the economy was 3.4 miles/Kw. Driving at 70mph did reduce miles per Kw but I was not concerned as the journey was planned and once we reached destination charging would be easy overnight.

Different cars on different chargers should not make the charge rate drop, but it's possible that two cars on the same charger can (if it has 2 useable at the same time DC outputs)
It's possible that the charger you were on was not working to full capacity i.e. partly faulty. Other factors would be your soc at the time of charging.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom