Public charging - Mostly good

mrg9999

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
This is intended to help others

Yesterday, my MG ZS was two weeks old.
The last few days I undertook a 350 round trip. We didn't top up to 100% before we left.
At our destination we only had 20% charge.
I've used a few public chargers and been mostly successful. Pod Point etc.
I have an Octopus Electroverse card, but thus far it has only worked in one place.

I asked a local about fast chargers and he sent me to a housing estate with admittedly 30 chargers, but all 7kW. Now at 17%
A friend offered used of his 3 phase system 50kW, but he was a 20-mile drive away, so he recommended MFG (Esso) we were now at 13% that he'd used for his Tesla
we found after some help from the support that the only way to guarantee charging was to lock the car, and it started immediately and charged to the preset 80% in about 30 minutes.

There's always learning with any new thing, and maybe as a 60+ person, my mind is less receptive.

We seem to have a method that works.

The last few days I undertook a 350 round trip. We didn't top up to 100% before we left.
I have an Octopus Electroverse card, but thus far it has only worked in one place.

I asked a local about fast chargers and he sent me to a housing estate with admittedly 30 chargers, but all 7kW. Now at 17%
A friend offered used of his 3 phase system 50kW, but he was a 20-mile drive away, so he recommended MFG (Esso) we were now at 13% that he'd used for his Tesla
we found after some help from the support that the only way to guarantee charging was to lock the car, and it started immediately and charged to the preset 80% in about 30 minutes.

There's always learning with any new thing, and maybe as a 60+ person, my mind is less receptive.

With you 100% mrg9999, our ZS is also just over two weeks old and we are also plus 60+, well plus 65 in fact ☹️.

If it will only charge when you lock it, you need to go to your dealership and get the firmware updated. Once done, it will start charging regardless. :)

30 public 7kw chargers on a housing estate is pretty darn good for an estate for anyone living on it without the ability to charge from home. Thats what all estates should have.
It turns out only some are free, some are free if you use their gym, shop etc. some are free over night, some are waiting to be monetized.

Mind you in Slough don’t you have that secret place for high speed chargers that if you are in the know you stop at before going to Heathrow, I am sure someone will have the location, I know no good for you if you live in Slough. :)

Mind you in Slough don’t you have that secret place for high speed chargers that if you are in the know you stop at before going to Heathrow, I am sure someone will have the location, I know no good for you if you live in Slough. :)
Shhh, don't tell anyone. It's called The Charge Yard. It looks like it's the entrance to the Tesco Express . . . but isn't. ;)

PlugShare is the beat app for EV charging points. Succes

Mrg9999. We are mid 60s & early 70s we bought our MGZS really without thinking of any of the logistics last April. We have slowly learnt the car & the running of it. But have found charging a nightmare at times!!! Found public ones a lot more busier but not so many new ones added.
That when we first needed to public charge people were polite and queuing was relatively orderly - now! Some not ALL are rude don’t want to queue and are just not very nice.
We plan our long journeys carefully with many apps haha!
Enjoy your car

I only ever charge my new trophy at work,just plug it in and it starts.I’ve not yet used a public one. Do we have to preset the battery en route to ensure a quicker charge when you get there as my Tesla driving colleagues do and it saves them a lot of time ,

I have a brand new MG HS PHEV which am very happy with. I thought I would do a road trip which incorporated an overnight at a Motel. I duly booked into the Motel and paid $160 for my accommodation.

It has been promulgated that to charge a car is approx. $5 per 100kms. My PHEV uses 66kms or approx. $3 worth of electricity when fully charged.

I run a cable from my 3 pin plug in my room, out to my car, which management took objection too and unbelievably was able to physically remove my plug from my car whilst it was charging. In doing so he wrecked my plug doing just on $3,000 worth of damage to both the male and female sections of the plug.. The burglar alarm was also activated which I couldn’t stop until 2hrs later when my 12 volt battery went flat. He accepted full responsibility for his action and has reimbursed me in full, thank heavens.

I required assistance to “Jump Start” my car and carry on using only petrol the next day. That night I done the correct thing and asked for power which I was told would cost me $100. I chose not to charge my car and carried on using petrol only. What a mission my trip turned out to be.

He must have broken the locking pin that locks the plug into the car, then removing the plug with the power on must have shorted with both pins that are live at 2.2kw mains power. When you open the car when charging this stops the car charging and open the plug locking pin. You should educate the hotel not to touch people cars and should think about having some plug socket and charge boxes out side for EV & PHEV.

Can you elaborate a bit. The app in Play store has lots of one star and negative comments.
I am a recent convert to Plugshare and used it in a real world situation last Friday to find a charger 100 miles from home and it led me straight to it using Google Maps on Android Auto. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom