Public Charging not starting

Artaroos

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi All,
we only got our ZS EV this week, bad timing cus the wife is away with her family, for road trip this weekend - in the car.

She has plugged in at a Waitrose and a different Public point (non Rapid) - thinking it was charging, but it hasn't.

Is there something we are missing - is there a setting in the car to tell it to accept a charge?

Thank you in advance.

Wife reports that both App and Car said they were charging.

Edit

I understand how difficult it is to diagnose a problem remotely via chat..

But just if anyone thinks there is anything obvious.

Thank you.

Wife reports that both App and Car said they were charging.
Just so we are clear I am taking about the charging company app not the car just in case is Waitrose still bp pulse? As I think shell have done something with Waitrose

I have also noticed some free changes have been reduced to 3kw so you would not notice much charge in a 1h?

Do you know what network the EVSE unit are on. Even if free Podpoint and BP Pulse need an account. You could get the details of the EVSE and start the charge from your own app remotely, just make sure you get the correct side A or B.

Chargers can also be broken. Or they can output very little electricity (broken).
But since it's the on-board charger that does the charge and it's 6A minimum, that seems unlikely. There could be a fault with the on-board charger, but I've not heard of one failing.

Aldi chargers use to be free in blackpool anyway, but recently tried four of them at our local store and also tried two more up the coast in Cleveleys and nothing. Green light which should change to blue stays green! Car just says "connected but not charging"., These chargers Also use are pat of Shell recharge according to the label on them.

On the Pod Point at our Tesco you need the phone app and an account set up before you can use, then you need to confirm charge via the app to make it work. You get 15 mins to do it or it stops.

Our charger at local railway station you have to leave the car unplugged from the charger until the charger tells you to plug it in once everything is ready to charge. If we plug the car to the charger and then try to use the app, it won't charge.
Also, our Tesco has a Pod Point fast charger and the instructions on it say to first connect the car then swipe the debit/credit card (I believe the card to be used is the one registered with Pod Point when you sign up). The Pod Point will take a moment to verify the card then the panel on it lights up. Then we choose either 80% or 100% and press Start. Follow the instructions to Stop unless it's fully charged then it will have stopped anyway. Certainly is cheap...

Our charger at local railway station you have to leave the car unplugged from the charger until the charger tells you to plug it in once everything is ready to charge. If we plug the car to the charger and then try to use the app, it won't charge.
Also, our Tesco has a Pod Point fast charger and the instructions on it say to first connect the car then swipe the debit/credit card (I believe the card to be used is the one registered with Pod Point when you sign up). The Pod Point will take a moment to verify the card then the panel on it lights up. Then we choose either 80% or 100% and press Start. Follow the instructions to Stop unless it's fully charged then it will have stopped anyway. Certainly is cheap...
I'm guessing you mean on the rapid charger and not the fast charger, as the fast are free and just need confirming on the app.

22kW is an AC fast EVSE with a type2 connector.
Rapid chargers are DC with a CCS connector.

22kW is an AC fast EVSE with a type2 connector.
There are such things as 22 kW DC chargers; we have them west of the Black Stump™ in Australia.

1661076575201.png

The one above is at Madura (plugshare link) near the border of Western Australia and South Australia, in the middle of the Nullarbor plain. Nullarbor means no trees; it could also mean no decent EV charging. A bit further west there is a 50 kW DC charger powered by used cooking oil (carbon neutral; see Caiguna plugshare link).

Last edited:
There are such things as 22 kW DC chargers; we have them west of the Black Stump™ in Australia.

View attachment 10392

The one above is at Madura (plugshare link) near the border of Western Australia and South Australia, in the middle of the Nullarbor plain. Nullarbor means no trees; it could also mean no decent EV charging. A bit further west there is a 50 kW DC charger powered by used cooking oil (carbon neutral; see Caiguna plugshare link).
Can't understand why you guys don't have solar chargers set up all over the state with all that sunshine. It can be stored in refurbed lithium car batteries ready to fast dump to the car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom