Public Charging - what do you do?

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just wondering guys, with all the different charging stations with different suppliers, do you have accounts at many or all? I guess this is a question mainly for folks that don't (yet) have a home charger.

I know it doesn't cost anything to register but maybe you just use the chargers on a regular route or use the one at work etc etc.

Even though I have only just ordered a Gen2, I am itching to get something in palms and have registered at a few. Clenergy/PodPoint/Electric Juice. At this moment I don't know if the dealer will provide a free home charger (he told me he doesn't know yet) and if so or not how long it takes to get one ordered and installed. He also doesn't know if a Type2 cable will be supplied or not.

It would be interesting to know the thoughts of you guys.:unsure:

My reply to a previous post.
The Electric Juice card is a good idea to keep but be aware currently it doesn't have many big networks on the books, I asked the same question when I got my MG, get a few accounts BP, pod point, grid serve, Instavolt, etc. But don't get the subscription ones until you need to.

Only charging apps we have for the MG are PodPoint and Charge Place Scotland,. We have these as they supply free chargers and need the app to initiate the charge (can do by web but not as convenient)

Any other charger we use Google Pay contactless, I refuse to sign up for multiple accounts, some of which you are required to preload the app with cash, just so I can pay them money. It may be slightly more expensive not having subscriptions (again you need to pay for the sub) to the many networks but I was never expected to join multiple schemes just to buy petrol or diesel.

With the new Skoda we have a years free subscription for cheaper rates at multiple networks so that is another app that I have to use.

I have PodPoint for supermarket chargers as although they are free they need to be started with an app.
Instavolt as they are very reliable.
Electric Juice card from Octopus Energy as it covers a number of networks.
Shell recharge as it also does the New motion network that has free chargers near us.
Electric highway Gridserve never used it but the price is reasonable.
I find them on Zap-map.

I recommend plugshare website and app. It's not a charging app but it is good for researching chargers before heading to them. You can view photos of the chargers and read comments that other users have left about them.

I recommend plugshare website and app. It's not a charging app but it is good for researching chargers before heading to them. You can view photos of the chargers and read comments that other users have left about them.
Plugshare is very useful, my only issue with it is if you are looking for a particular network and try to use a filter it only lets you filter for Tesla, Alegro, BP and then EVERYBODY ELSE. The best thing is the app tells you where the nearest other charging is. Absolutely worth having the app though. It's all free...... right

A vote for Zap-Map, I find the reviews, pictures and current status useful. Just be aware current status isn't always live, but it's easy to spot 👍

As for signing up I made a conscious decision to do it as I go along. Should only take a few minutes and saves giving your personal info to a company you may never use 🙂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom