Purchasing this week/advice

tjalana

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi, sorry if in wrong section. Took a test drive in the MG4 today and was very impressed. Think we are going to go back in this week and purchase, €26845 OTR (Ireland). This is for standard trim 51.1KWH.
Obviously everything should be in order when collecting but just wanted to make sure if there is anything to look out for. Should all the updates be done? What is the latest update? Would a home Zappi charger be ok to charge this car? As you can tell I have no idea about EVs so if anyone has any advice, would very much appreciate. Thank you.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I have the car you're thinking of buying and I'm very happy indeed with it. In fact I love it to bits. Some people have had poor experiences but these are either old faults that have been rectified, or one-off issues affecting only a few people.

There are one or two threads with check-lists for collection. Maybe for the Trophy, but you can pick the points that are relevant to the SE.

Get down under the car and check the rear undertray for sag/warp. There are pictures of the problem in other threads. If the car has that make sure you complain to the dealer and insist that they commit to fixing it.

Infotainment software should be the version ending in R33. Accept nothing else.

I can't help you as regards home chargers as I brought mine home with the supplied "granny" trickle charger and I'm still using it! But I think a lot of people have Zappi chargers and are getting on fine.

Welcome to EV motoring, you'll never look back.

If it's appropriate, get the dealer to set up iSmart. Check that there is a granny cable supplied to charge from a 13A plug.
The dealer should spend some time taking you through the information on the screens. In particular make sure user agreements are signed off.
My guide MG4 Trophy - a Guide may help although it is for a Trophy and is being updated for iSmart v2.

Wow, thank you very much guys, didn't think of some of these, will have a read of the guide as well, much appreciated, will look forward to reading the posts on the forum.

I have a Zappi charger and am on the Octopus Intelligent Go Tariff. I have never had a problem with the App when setting charge schedules. I also have Octopus Outgoing Fixed Tariff as I have Solar Panels, which pays me 15p per Kwh for Electricity I export back to the grid. It therefore doesn't make financial sense at the moment to use the Zappi to charge direct from the panels.

Hi Steve, I also have Solar Panels and export back, I know nothing about it though. When you say don't make financial sense. Is it because you get paid more for sending back and charge car using a night rate which is less than the 15p. I'm clueless🙄

Hi Steve, I also have Solar Panels and export back, I know nothing about it though. When you say don't make financial sense. Is it because you get paid more for sending back and charge car using a night rate which is less than the 15p. I'm clueless🙄
Exactly that. Using the cheaper night rate I pay 7.5 p per kWh, whereas I receive 15p for every kWh my panels produce. That is 7.5 p profit for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Purchase a service plan at time of sale.(or online)
It really is only a few pounds a month and one less thing to worry about come service time.

Exactly that. Using the cheaper night rate I pay 7.5 p per kWh, whereas I receive 15p for every kWh my panels produce. That is 7.5 p profit for me!
Thanks again,would you still recommend a Zappi ,was just thinking if rates changed for the worse in the future or just purchase a cheaper charger.

Purchase a service plan at time of sale.(or online)
It really is only a few pounds a month and one less thing to worry about come service time.

thank you,will look into this.

Hi - I'm another one with an SE SR and a Zappi charger using Intelligent Octopus Go. Would recommend both of them!

Check out what EV tariffs are available to you and work out which will be best for your usage/mileage and then decide which charger fits your requirements.

You're probably going to need a Type 2 cable for public charging.
And it's reassuring to have a 13A "Granny cable" (plugs into a normal socket) - whether you use it often, or just know it's there for emergencies.

So try and barter the dealer into throwing in both. It seems to be inconsistent whether by default, one is included, or the other.

If they don't give you both, shop around on the internet for the one you don't get, because prices vary hugely.

(I lease - and got both)

Thank you, I didn't know this wasn't included, what would be the minimum price online. if this is not thrown in, il try and haggle a price.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back