QR Code Problems & Car Time

Paul V Smith

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Can anyone help, because MG Technicians cant, sort out my issues. I picked up my new MG4 last week and the clock time is 1 hour out, even though its set on GPS sync time. I change it manually it then changes back. I have also had no success setting up the MG app to connect to the car. I have downloaded and registered on the MG iSmart app, then gone into profile settings in the car to get the QR code on screen, which works ok, but the scan of the QR code don’t connect my app to the car. This is so important to have this setup, why am I having a nightmare, is any new NG4 owners getting the same issues. I have been back to the dealer and they have no clue. Thanks Paul

I'm sure someone will come up with a proper solution for you, but if you just wait a couple of weeks it shouldn't be an issue as we move to GMT anyway...

hope you do get sorted soon

Can anyone help, because MG Technicians cant, sort out my issues. I picked up my new MG4 last week and the clock time is 1 hour out, even though its set on GPS sync time. I change it manually it then changes back. I have also had no success setting up the MG app to connect to the car. I have downloaded and registered on the MG iSmart app, then gone into profile settings in the car to get the QR code on screen, which works ok, but the scan of the QR code don’t connect my app to the car. This is so important to have this setup, why am I having a nightmare, is any new NG4 owners getting the same issues. I have been back to the dealer and they have no clue. Thanks Paul
I had the same issue with the clock. Select GPS and under it I think its called DTS or DST... unselected that and its correct.

As for the app. I couldn't get it to scan the barcode but that's because the car set itself to night more so couldn't see the barcode. So does it scan? Or is it another problem after?

If I remember rightly a few people had problems linking and factory resetting the infotainment worked. I wonder if it doesn’t like it if a phone has been previously paired. On the time, there is also a timezone setting as well as the dst and gps toggles. Mine had been set to +5 on collection.

I had the same issue with the clock. Select GPS and under it I think its called DTS or DST... unselected that and its correct.

As for the app. I couldn't get it to scan the barcode but that's because the car set itself to night more so couldn't see the barcode. So does it scan? Or is it another problem after?
It scans ok, but it just don’t connect?

Just a thought but maybe your dealer or someone else has already registered your car with the App? I am sure I read that only one Phone App can register to the car.
Maybe a full factory reset might work?

I had issues connecting the car to iSmart app - user error, I was repeatedly scanning the wrong QR code.

You need to scan the impossibly-small QR code that is displayed on the screen that explains Step1 (download), Step 2 (register), Step 3 (connect). The code next to Step 3 is the one to scan.

If it's too small to directly scan, try photographing it and zooming in on a computer screen / another phone and scanning the zoomed-in code.

See 0:50 onwards:

(I was mistakenly scanning the Log-In QR code; it signs in your personal credentials but does not link the car to the app)

Just a thought but maybe your dealer or someone else has already registered your car with the App? I am sure I read that only one Phone App can register to the car.
Maybe a full factory reset might work?
I did come to the same conclusion and asked if the tech team would do that and they said no.I think I will try and reset the whole car IT system and try again.

I did come to the same conclusion and asked if the tech team would do that and they said no.I think I will try and reset the whole car IT system and try again.
I had issues connecting the car to iSmart app - user error, I was repeatedly scanning the wrong QR code.

You need to scan the impossibly-small QR code that is displayed on the screen that explains Step1 (download), Step 2 (register), Step 3 (connect). The code next to Step 3 is the one to scan.

If it's too small to directly scan, try photographing it and zooming in on a computer screen / another phone and scanning the zoomed-in code.

See 0:50 onwards:

(I was mistakenly scanning the Log-In QR code; it signs in your personal credentials but does not link the car to the app)

Thank you I will try the smaller QR codes.

Brilliant the small QR code next to number 3 worked straight away. Thanks for the info. Will let the technicians know at my local MG.
Glad you are all connected - is your clock at the correct time now too?

I initially thought the instructional screen on connecting the car was just that, an instructional screen. The QR code on it looked a genetic example (to explain what a QR code is) and too small to be the actual code to scan.

I too was mistakenly scanning the large QR code in Profile Settings section.

Glad you are all connected - is your clock at the correct time now too?

I initially thought the instructional screen on connecting the car was just that, an instructional screen. The QR code on it looked a genetic example (to explain what a QR code is) and too small to be the actual code to scan.

I too was mistakenly scanning the large QR code in Profile Settings section.
Yes the GPS clock needs to be on and the DST daylight saving time, setting switched off.

I'm the same as #13 and #14, no QR codes displayed at all so I can't scan anything. Factory reset didn't help as the "configuration" screen didn't display any QR codes either!

I'm the same as #13 and #14, no QR codes displayed at all so I can't scan anything. Factory reset didn't help as the "configuration" screen didn't display any QR codes either!
Make sure you are doing it in the daytime with lights off and screen in light mode. In dark you can't see the qr code even though it's there

Make sure you are doing it in the daytime with lights off and screen in light mode. In dark you can't see the qr code even though it's there
Thank you. Yes, I did do that (as I'd read it somewhere else on here) but no joy as I'm not getting QR codes at all.

Got my Trophy and of Nov 2022, and Dealer failed to bind my phone, car went in for full software update, hope still no joy, whilst I nearly managed it myself a few months ago it didn't connect and now it's impossible as it doesn't accept my country code +44 and neither of the QR boxes are on the screen, dealer said on my last call said they were waiting on experts opinion somewhere in England. It's a good job it's fun to drive as all of this fancy software is a load of bull...

Had my car for around seven months and done a good few thousand miles. The Dealer and I failed to get the app working and I just enjoy driving the car ignoring its many software foibles.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back