Question about rear fog lights

efficiencyloud781

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Recently got a MG ZS EV (face lift version) and noticed that the back for lights only turn on on one side (right)

I went to the first servicing and asked them about it and was told that one side is reflective only (left) and i’m not 100% convinced but i can’t find any information about it online or in the manual.

Would anyone know if it is supposed to work only from one side?
B92814EF-5BAE-411E-BB84-F180BB7A2AA1.jpeg

I saw a YouTube video of the MG ZS gas version in India and that only had one rear fog lights. Seems to be a thing with other cars as well, you can read below.

Fairly common in the UK across all manufacturers, only the offside has a fog light, two chains of thought as to why, one is cost, the other safety, having two fog lights in reduced visibility could reduce the ability of the person behind seeing your brake lights come on, with the high level third brake light nowadays it makes me wonder if it would be mainly cost.

From MOT manual

4.5.1. Presence, condition and operation​

You only need to inspect:

• front fog lamps fitted to vehicles first used on or after 1 March 2018
  • the 1 rear fog lamp which must be fitted to the centre or offside of vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980

One is better than two, it is half the dazzle when people put them on when visibility isn't seriously degraded. People illegally put them on in rain in the dark, when it's a bit misty, when it's slightly foggy. They leave them on when the mist has gone, leave them on when you are following, leaving a red haze that blocks the view of other cars. They're only supposed to be used when you're crawling along trying to see the kerb as it is so foggy and visibility is seriously reduced.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom