Question on battery equalisation and EO charger

colsky

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I've had my car for almost a year, its in for its first annual service in a couple of weeks time. Reading through various forum threads, I'm wondering if my car has ever actually had a battery equalisation.

I use a EO home charger, with the associated smart app. It won't do delayed charging, but I understand that not many chargers do. What it will do is allow you to set a limit for it to stop charging. So if you want to charge to 80%, set the dial on the app to 80% and it will then stop at that point. If you want to charge to 100%, set the dial to 100%. When I've done this to 100%, I've never noticed it taking a long time to complete the charging cycle once it nears 100%. So I'm wondering if the app cuts off charging as soon as it reaches 100% and never actually allows the equalisation part of the charge to happen.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Equalization happens only after the car has reached 100% so if your charger is stopping it at full, it's safe to say that it hasn't been equalized. This doesn't have to be an issue if you don't have the bad BMS update installed.

What is you voltage at 100%? It should be around 455v in a balanced battery.

At some point you will probably get the red message on your dash telling you to equalise ,i am suprised after almost a year thar you havn't had it already.if you can get away with only equalising every year or so ,then thats good i guess

You need to contact EO support, my box which was installed at the end of November does delay/scheduled charging. It is the other setting page and I have done it on a couple of times. I am with Avro and they only have 1 rate 13p per K

Screenshot_20210210-152808.jpg

Last edited:
Equalization happens only after the car has reached 100% so if your charger is stopping it at full, it's safe to say that it hasn't been equalized. This doesn't have to be an issue if you don't have the bad BMS update installed.

What is you voltage at 100%? It should be around 455v in a balanced battery.
I've never checked the voltage at 100%, before reading these threads I never thought to! I'll check next time I do it, but this will probably be after my first service.

I didn't know about voltage levels and equalisation until i joined this forum .i really don't know if my driving experience with my ZS is better with my new found knowledge or if ignorance was BLISS.what i didn't know didn't hurt me etc 'you get the drift'.

You need to contact EO support, my box which was installed at the end of November does delay/scheduled charging. It is the other setting page and I have done it on a couple of times. I am with Avro and they only have 1 rate 13p per K

View attachment 1430

Thanks. Perhaps mine will finally work with delayed charging after the service, when the software is updated (for the first time). I don't recognise this "charging options" page. Is it on their EV JuiceNet app?

Looking at your forum name, I see that you are in Chelmsford like me! I have seen the odd MGZS petrol car around town, but not another EV yet, so its good to know there's another!

Thanks. Perhaps mine will finally work with delayed charging after the service, when the software is updated (for the first time). I don't recognise this "charging options" page. Is it on their EV JuiceNet app?

Looking at your forum name, I see that you are in Chelmsford like me! I have seen the odd MGZS petrol car around town, but not another EV yet, so its good to know there's another!
Hi,

No its the official EO app. Was told the juicenet app is old. Is you charger a new install? They should have done a two stage app install. Installer's bit then you finish it off. Search you app store for EO Smart Home.

I am in SWF, but most will not know where it is

Hi,

No its the official EO app. Was told the juicenet app is old. Is you charger a new install? They should have done a two stage app install. Installer's bit then you finish it off. Search you app store for EO Smart Home.

I am in SWF, but most will not know where it is
The charger was installed last March when I got the car. Thanks, I'll look for the EO app.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom