Question on granny charging

Hedgemonkey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Evening,

Longtime lurker with a first time post. I got my silver LR (my wolf in sheep’s clothing!) last week and have been very impressed so far. I’m in the process on getting a charge point installed so for the time being I am having to rely on using the granny charger. I am either topping up overnight when needed to 80%ish and no issues with that.

I did leave it on a longer charge over the weekend to get to 100% but I did not leave the battery to fully balance. I noted the GOM was showing a range of just over 200 miles in eco mode which I thought was a tad low for the long range. Now would the weather, the granny charger, the domestic power supply and my driving style from prior to this longer charge cause the GOM range to be lower? Or do I need to do a full charge with the granny charger and do a balance charge?

thanks
gareth

Evening,

Longtime lurker with a first time post. I got my silver LR (my wolf in sheep’s clothing!) last week and have been very impressed so far. I’m in the process on getting a charge point installed so for the time being I am having to rely on using the granny charger. I am either topping up overnight when needed to 80%ish and no issues with that.

I did leave it on a longer charge over the weekend to get to 100% but I did not leave the battery to fully balance. I noted the GOM was showing a range of just over 200 miles in eco mode which I thought was a tad low for the long range. Now would the weather, the granny charger, the domestic power supply and my driving style from prior to this longer charge cause the GOM range to be lower? Or do I need to do a full charge with the granny charger and do a balance charge?

thanks
gareth
Have you been ‘playing’? What’s your accumulated Miles/KWH? (I’m assuming that is factored into the calculation)

Does anyone know the expected voltage for a charged and balanced 5LR?

It’s mostly commuting on dual carriageway and some A/B roads. Commute approximately 65 miles averaging about 3.5 miles/kWh. I am still playing and tweaking the driving style.
l‘ve bimble‘d about the local town and got to 6.3 on a short journey (it’s very hilly).

I appreciate speed, acceleration, rain, cold, wind the hvac system all affect the range. I‘m just wanting to make sure I’m not doing a Homer Simpson and missing the obvious!

Well (and I'm completely theorising here as I'm also still on the granny till thursday and am too tight to charge outside Go Faster hours...)

57kWh (useable) * 3.5 miles/kWh = 199.5 miles (maybe plus a little bonus for Eco and Regen to tip it over 200). I'll let you know what mine says when I finally get it to 100% and balanced... Hopefully at the weekend.

I found it takes a while to get used to your driving.
Mine was the same when I first got it, now I'm about 1k miles in at 100% it's closer to 245miles guesstimate.

I dont think it's anything to do with balancing etc, more about your driving style being learnt by the car

P.s. 6.3 miles/kwh, how did you manage that, I rarely get above 4.5! Usually between 3.5 -4.

Evening,

thanks
gareth
When it was at 100% you say you were in eco mode but whats about the kers level and were the heater and fan on?
Next time turn everything off and try eco kers 3 just to see whatvyou get.

I found it takes a while to get used to your driving.
Mine was the same when I first got it, now I'm about 1k miles in at 100% it's closer to 245miles guesstimate.

I dont think it's anything to do with balancing etc, more about your driving style being learnt by the car

P.s. 6.3 miles/kwh, how did you manage that, I rarely get above 4.5! Usually between 3.5 -4.
Fair enough, yes it is a learning game with driving style.
The 6.3 was due to a few steep hills in kers3 downhill which my local town is surrounded by. If that was my commute I’d be laughing, but instead it’s a dual carriageway….

When it was at 100% you say you were in eco mode but whats about the kers level and were the heater and fan on?
Next time turn everything off and try eco kers 3 just to see whatvyou get.
Yes in kers3 for downhill, fan was on 1 bar, air con off but windscreen on 17 deg as it would mist up otherwise. I’ll do some more playing.

Thank you for all the info so far.

Mines a standard range 5. Bumbling around Norfolk I'm getting up to 4.8m/kWh and a total range (miles done + GOM predicted) of 248. I normally run in Eco and KERS#3 when I remember to switch, with a/c off, ram air (no recirc), wipers and lights on auto and a boot full of 2 deckchairs, windbreak and parasol. (Just in case the weather is good enough for an impromptu tootle to the beach with a flask if tea, although that's now more and more turning out to be a trip to the beach cafe for two plates of filthy dirty fries instead)

Found it. 395v
Yeah, and that's Jan '21 so will definitely be the 53KwH battery. @Jomarkh is also right though that there are a lot of posts (from Feb onwards) stating 405v, so maybe there was a sly BMS update for the 53kWh MG5?

OP (and I ) are on the 'long range' though.... I would be surprised if it was the same.

It’s mostly commuting on dual carriageway and some A/B roads. Commute approximately 65 miles averaging about 3.5 miles/kWh. I am still playing and tweaking the driving style.
l‘ve bimble‘d about the local town and got to 6.3 on a short journey (it’s very hilly).

I appreciate speed, acceleration, rain, cold, wind the hvac system all affect the range. I‘m just wanting to make sure I’m not doing a Homer Simpson and missing the obvious!
I'd say mostly your speed, I notice a big drop in range travelling on dual carriageway as opposed to 'other' roads.

Yeah, and that's Jan '21 so will definitely be the 53KwH battery. @Jomarkh is also right though that there are a lot of posts (from Feb onwards) stating 405v, so maybe there was a sly BMS update for the 53kWh MG5?

OP (and I ) are on the 'long range' though.... I would be surprised if it was the same.
I fully charged my car (sept 21 53kWh) last night and got 401v. It was trickle charging at about 150W for about 4 hours.

A bit of an update, did an overnight charge and balance. I followed the advice with regards to driving style - eco and kers3. I recent the long term trip computer and was showing a range of 266 miles so was very reassured and happy this am.

Range didn’t last as had roof rack and bike, but now enjoying the car more I drive it. Thanks for all the tips so far.

Ok. 5LR. Charged to 100% and left to balance (although I have only had it a month, this is its first charge to full, and looking at the Hypervolt log it barely balanced for more than a couple of minutes.) I’m showing 406v.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom