Question regarding charging.

Xopher

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I have a LR ZS on order. (Hopefully it will arrive next week).
I have an hour drive to work everyday which amounts to roughly 160km just to and from work.
Is it bad for the battery to be needing to be charged that often?

Presumably you will charge it at home overnight on a 7kW charger? No problem at all. It's usually deep discharge and charge cycles on a rapid which can affect the battery over time.

Enjoy your new car. (How long did you have to wait for it?)

I had a Zappi (type 1) at our old house (I had solar panels, at the time, the Zappi was about the only one that worked well with them).
I went for a EO mini pro at our new house, it also will work with solar panels and I have found it excellent. A simple phone app the works effectively, I can set times, which is all I really need.
The new Zappi (and many others) I found way over complicated.
Do check your main fuse is 100 amp and not 60 amp (UK Power Networks will upgrade at no cost).

I had a Zappi (type 1) at our old house (I had solar panels, at the time, the Zappi was about the only one that worked well with them).
I went for a EO mini pro at our new house, it also will work with solar panels and I have found it excellent. A simple phone app the works effectively, I can set times, which is all I really need.
The new Zappi (and many others) I found way over complicated.
Do check your main fuse is 100 amp and not 60 amp (UK Power Networks will upgrade at no cost).
I´m going to have an electrician come take a look at home.
The house is 100 years old and the wiring is from like 1970-1980 :)
I´ll make a decision once i know what my options are. For now I´m fine with just charging at work.

I have an hour drive to work everyday which amounts to roughly 160km just to and from work.
Hi, I do a 70 mile daily commute and add 30-40% overnight keeping at about 80-90% ready for the morning. I had a 15.5k service and SOH was 100%😁

Hi, I do a 70 mile daily commute and add 30-40% overnight keeping at about 80-90% ready for the morning. I had a 15.5k service and SOH was 100%😁
So the batteries wont be taking that much of beating then.
I mean relative to those that charge their car less frequent.

I thought that degredation was linked to the amount of charge cycles. Would it be better for the battery to limit these rather than small frequent charges?

Keep in mind 7kd takes like 14 hours to charge it, so you want to charge much as possible before you go, let it charge for 8 hours for like 35% then come home.

Fast chargers amazing if they work and dont brick the car else keep it topped up as much as you can.

I thought that degredation was linked to the amount of charge cycles. Would it be better for the battery to limit these rather than small frequent charges?
It does, but a little simplified...If you do a "fast charge" it will maybe degrade the battery the same as 2 slow charges.

Batteries really hate going below 10% state of charge and above 80% so if you keep within that "window" for the majority of the time, and only go above, when you know you need the extra range, and only goes below in an "emergency" (If you are at 15% and pull into a charger that is defective or has a huge queue, and you want to go to the next one and this brings you below 10%)

Here we probably only need to charge to 100% once a month, the rest of the time it will sit at between 60-80% as we drive it and charge it every day, as long as it's sunny, and the electricity is free (We have a solar panel system).

When you say 'fast' charge do you mean DC rapid and 'slow' AC?
What current can you deliver from for solar and what EVSE do you have?

When you say 'fast' charge do you mean DC rapid and 'slow' AC?
What current can you deliver from for solar and what EVSE do you have?
I refer to the current, but yes, as AC charging is limited to 7 / 11 KWh this will be slow charging, and DC fast chargers is fast charging.

I have a Growatt system, that can deliver 3660 watt's, so i usually use it with my wall charger set to 13A (3 KWh, but only about 2.8 makes it to the car, the rest is lost to heat in the wall charger and onboard charger)

This is really "slow" charging, but seeing as i have a daily commute to work of about 10 miles each way, i can actually already now, get the battery up to 80% every day. if we do longer journeys, the car just sits on the charger in the weekend.

The solar system i have has, as said a 3660 Watt inverter, but in case there is more than 3660 watt's produced, it will also charge my 6½ KWh battery.

So, to get the most out of the solar cell's it is best to use as close to 3660 watts (including whatever the house uses) as this will slow down the battery charging. As long as the battery is charging i can make a max of 3660 watts times 2, divided between the battery and load.

The system is constructed in such a way, that a smartmeter measures the current draw on the 3 phases, combined, and then it tries to match the combined load, by delivering to the grid, the same current, but only on one phase.

The one thing i wish i had known, that i do now, is that 3600 watt inverter power is a bit low. I would have rather paid a bit more, and gotten one that could actually handle the 7200 KWh peak, that the solar panels are rated for.

This way i could have charged the car at a higher rate, AND run the wife's hobby machines (Washer, clothes dryer and dishwasher) at the same time.

Not a huge problem though, we just time these machines to do laundry and wash dishes offset from eachother when we are at work. So when we get home, they are finished, and we can dedicate all of the excess power to the car. :)

The only time i expect to have to charge away from home in the near future is once at a fast charger for a longer work related trip (That i am paid for every kilometer i drive, and the first many kilometers are free, because i charged the car at home for "free") oh and once or twice when going on summer holiday. (Not THAT far, we opted to stay domestic this year, the whole world situation right now seems a bit unstable so we decided to stay closer to home).

Thank you,
I am looking into solar and battery at the moment, just don't know how big to go for.
I have had a quote for 14 panels 4.55kw and 5.2kWh or 10.4kWh battery.
Just trying to work out if using the white goods etc. would just draw from the system or need grid topup.

Thank you,
I am looking into solar and battery at the moment, just don't know how big to go for.
I have had a quote for 14 panels 4.55kw and 5.2kWh or 10.4kWh battery.
Just trying to work out if using the white goods etc. would just draw from the system or need grid topup.
For the last few days, my 4kW solar took us off grid at around 07:00. At 08:00, the 8kWh battery started to charge. By 14:00 the battery was full, so I plugged the granny charger in and put the excess in the car instead.

I would definitely go for the 10kWh battery as you will go off grid for longer. In the summer on a good day we can go 24 hours off grid. :)

The 10.4kWh was less than 1k extra, so I think that would be better. Just waiting for my roof to be repaired after the storm damage that took 3 hip tiles off then hopefully get the solar sorted

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom