Question/survey for Podcast Monday 18th October

Stuwit46

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I’ve had my red 5 for nearly 10 months. We are going to be talking about the new MG 5 facelift.

After a discussion with a friend he was surprised I had a 5 as I’ve always been fussy about how a car looks. As admittedly I don’t think it’s a “looker” We would like to know why you have yours. Please reply with your reasons on this thread. 😊
My reason is purely saving on running costs 🙂

I quite like how the MG5 looks - perhaps in the minority but I prefer it to the photos I’ve seen of the facelift model - although the improved interior and app connectivity are nice.

Anyway, I’ve got mine as I like estates and not SUVs. Came from a 10 year old MPV and I needed space for dogs, kids and roof capacity a couple of times a year. Felt that it was time to take the plunge to electric whilst all the incentives existed and the 7 year warranty and prospect of reduced running and maintenance costs were attractive.

Why specifically an MG? It has pretty much everything I needed at a price point I could justify. My only concern is availability of replacement parts as still a niche brand in the UK.

Someone a while ago said the MG5 looked like a VW Passat I had one of those so was happy with the shape I actually prefer it to the new front.
I was looking for a small ev to do my 70 mile commute but the MG5 was cheaper, would save me on fuel and is an estate so win win 🏆.
I thought I would struggle to convince my wife as she had never driven an automatic but she loved it too especially the acceleration 🙄

Last edited:
Like some others at least, I am not averse to how the Mg5 looks - I don't see the ugliness/age that others see, and indeed everyone who has seen it likes it! (At lease they say they do!!) I think it is much better in real life than in the photographs.

I bought mine because (not in any order)

a) I live on the Isle of Wight. Nearly all of my driving is local (up to about 12 miles one way max) and electric seems ideal for this. So far it clearly is. I don't understand why there are not many more electric cars over here, and as yet I have seen only about 4 MG5s. I have yet to test it on a longer journey to family on the mainland, but don't see any issues with charging, (assuming that Instavolt chargers on the way are functioning).
b) My thoughts about relative running costs are coming true. I don't have a cheap overnight electricity tariff, but my rate of just under 20p per unit is fine. I am getting about 4.6 miles per kwh if the display is to be believed, (just trundling round the Island). This is backed up with data from actual charges made (I have a PodPoint 7kw charge), so running cost seems to be about 4.3 pence per mile. My diesel (before the latest price rises) was costing about 12 per mile. Enough said I think.
c) I have always liked estate cars, but never had one. I like their versatility. I did not want an SUV.
d) My 8 year old Toyota diesel MPV (although excellent in many respects) was beginning to cost me money. eg new brake discs.
e) I think MG electric cars are excellent value for money. In any case I can't afford a Tesla!

Overall, it just seemed a sensible option.

The cost of fuelling my diesel Insignia estate was barely being covered by my travel expenses. I like estates to get my dog in the boot and as MG do the only electric estate in the UK I looked at MG5. I am an electrician by trade, so deal with my own home electrics, and have been planning the gradual move to electric for a couple of years (we now have two electric cars). By calculation my monthly expenses cover the 0% PCP payment and the cost of charging is under £25 per month. So compared to the cost of running the Insignia against the MG5 I save about £190 per month. In 3 years once I have bought outright then I will keep all the travel expenses for me. I bought the MG5 in black to blend in with the fake grill. The 115kW motor is no problem on motorways speed wise, and I can make do with the 35kg roof rail weight limit. So I'm winning for once.

Last edited:
I originally bought the ZS EV as I did want to go electric for 'eco' reasons AND I love gadgets (an electric car is a gadget isn't it ?) AND the reduced running costs. The range was fine for 98% of the time and charging was no bother for longer jouneys.
If I had wanted to I could have followed my usual pattern of buying a 2/3 year old quality used car (quality not a badge) for half the price and kept for it for 10 years or more. This may have led to cost of ownership parity, who knows, but I wanted an EV and the ZS EV was the best usable/most gadgets/affordable option around.
I have taken advantage of good used prices to sell mine to Cazoo and have a 5 LR on order.
Now as mentioned I was happy with 163 mile range so why go to 250, I won't be going anywhere different. Well I'm not buying extra range, I'm buying extra speed @Stuwit46 will appreciate that. I want to travel at 70 without thinking about it. I'm buying heating/AC, I can use without any concerns about range. Oh and now the 5LR has most of the gadgets of the ZS.
Now you have it all :)

I wanted the ZS but needed 3 rear headrests. As for EV that was a no brainer when I sat down and worked out fuel costs over 6 years would be £17k for an ICE.

My worst case longest trip I have to make is around 210 mile round trip sometimes on the M25.

So after many months researching all areas and what the real world mileages can be obtained from EV's I had narrowed down what EV's to look at based on practicality, cost and mileage.
One major point was that it did need to fit without putting seats down, my wife's walker or worst case a foldable wheelchair.

Both Nero and Kona were ruled out owing to boot space.
The MG5 along with it's, in my book, tried and tested looks won hands down as could fit what I need in the boot.
Not only that but as a keyworker I could also obtain the car on the Affinity scheme so that really nailed the deal down. Finally when my wife says you should go for it certainly not going to say no!

Now had the car 11 days, enough for the rose tinted spectacles to be taken off and absolutely love the car.
Sure an app would of been nice and the space at the front for a Frunk but that is small pickings.
The MG Pilot system works great and really assists me on long run already made.
The other good point is that makes you think differently in the way you drive and the planning for comfort/top up stops.

I like the look of the MG5 and my family thinks it looks good. Well after an early LEAF anything looks good! It does look like a VW estate so who cares?

I actually prefer it to the new look MG5, who cares about fashion other than someone wanting to sell you something new to get you to change your old model?

Haven't got mine yet but I'll share my main reason, Company Car Tax!

Previous vehicles were costing £1500-£2000 a year between car tax and PUC (personal usage charge). Don't get me wrong, that's cheap car ownership and I never complained. However...

The MG5 car tax is £120 a year and, because it comes in under my allowance after the government grant is claimed, I get paid £60 a month back in BOB (balance of benefit).

So not just saving money, but in reality getting a small pay rise out of it.

It is a risky move, even though I've done thorough research based on my current driving patterns, if my role changes and I have to travel further I'll probably struggle with public charging, as it's not meant to affect the business or delay me in any way, but for me the opportunities outweighed the risks right now in my current situation.

I'll claim back 4p per business mile which may just cover my charging costs if done right at home, on the right tariff, but in no way would it cover rapid public charging. However in the long run it will still work out cheaper than an ICE or even Hybrid company car.

I’ve had my red 5 for nearly 10 months. We are going to be talking about the new MG 5 facelift.

After a discussion with a friend he was surprised I had a 5 as I’ve always been fussy about how a car looks. As admittedly I don’t think it’s a “looker” We would like to know why you have yours. Please reply with your reasons on this thread. 😊
Hi Stuart very good thread you have kicked off here, but as for looks they are OK not the best I know but liveable with, and once inside much the same as any car really, running costs are unbelievable, comfort and space is good,rides good, Power is fantastic if you want it, price at the time I ordered mine almost a year ago now was a gift with the discounts they where giving back then, no regrets in any way at all.
Yeh was a little Peeved when the LR came out of the blue but got over that now, this SR can do and does most of what I need, and has done for the past 7 months I’ve had it.
Why did I buy it, apart from my points above I have had estate cars for the last 20 years swear by them, if there was one disappointment it was the roof rail scenario after I placed my order but you know all about that.

Having solar PV to help with charging costs and my son who told me about the 5 when it was first released ( Tesla Model x boy ) but no way am I trying to keep up with him but he also likes the way the 5 drives so there you go my mate.
Very happy with my car.
Les.

Family of 5 so we need a bit bigger car with decent range so the MG5 is really the only reasonably priced option available right now.

We took both the ZS and MG5 for test drive as a whole family. It felt like the ZS was actually a smaller car with everyone inside also the MG5 felt a little more "modern" too (whatever that means) also the ZS only has one usb socket in the back while the MG5 has 2 so it was an easy decision. Only the MG5 having a LR version was signifigant as well.

I think the new MG5 looks a lot better but overall I would prefer an app, front/side cameras (like the Leaf) and similar upgrades over a newer look. I think there are a lot more EV choices available now for someone who just wants a good looking car.

As a Nissan Leaf owner (MG 5 LR due to arrive Jan) I was already sold on how cheap an EV is to run. The Leaf is great but I have the 30kwh version, so range is not great and am also experiencing some degradation having done nearly 70k miles. I was drawn to the MG 5 as a replacement because I have always liked estates but never actually owned one. My daughter has additional needs and we have to carry a special structure for her to sleep in if we go away as she can be very destructive. This packs into 2 large bags which don't fit into the Leaf's boot, so if we go away my wife has to take her van too, which isn't that practical. However I am pleased to say that the bags do fit in the MG 5's boot- a very kind dealer allowed me to try before ordering! The fact that these fit, along with the great price and affinity scheme, were what clinched it for me- I was also impressed with the ride comfort and power available when I did an extended test drive.

My story is a little different to most.
I've owned and driven a cherished RS Ford for the last 8 years but I found myself increasingly unwilling to use it for mundane and short range activities. It's an appreciating asset that rarely saw a wet road or any journey where the engine couldn't be properly exercised so it spent much time in the garage (more so post COVID). It provided (and continues to provide) me with my fix of motoring "fun" but was really not the right vehicle for popping a mile down the road to buy a pint of milk!
Because of this, I decided a long time back that I wanted to have both a fun and a practical car but I could never make up my mind what the practical car should be. It was only in the last couple of years it dawned on me that an EV was the perfect solution but I was holding out for the holy grail i.e. something that would equal or better any mid range ICE car but without a huge price premium. That pretty much ruled out the whole of the EV market until MG came along with the ZSEV last year. I was very tempted but it was soon beaten in the VFM stakes by the MG5 which was, in my opinion, better in almost every respect. Add the icing of eligibility for the Affinity scheme and I just couldn't say no so bought my car in June this year.
The green credentials are good as are the running costs of course but the key factor for me was having a car which is optimised for use in all situations, be that a one mile trip down the road or a 100 mile motorway journey.

It seems like Mg have cleverly "ambushed" the competition by providing a unique proposition of economy, capacity, performance, handling ( surprisingly good ), price, estate format and 7 yr warranty. The faux "MG" heritage is a bonus too. Front on, it does look a bit dated like a Passat, but the other elevations are more attractive. But overall, I think it's an attractive car ( great in red ). Not as futuristic as the Enyaq, Ioniq, Kona, Id.4 etc. But after the affinity deal it's just so incredibly cheap. The low running costs are attractive too. Before taking the Mg5 for a test run I was skeptical, but I was really surprised at how well it drove and handled. That combined with the very low purchase and running costs sealed the deal. So, in summary I have no single overriding reason for having it. More of a combination of the factors I just outlined. I've been asked by quite a few friends "why did you go for the Mg5?", citing various alternatives but they are all 10,20,30l£ more !.

It seems like Mg have cleverly "ambushed" the competition by providing a unique proposition of economy, capacity, performance, handling ( surprisingly good ), price, estate format and 7 yr warranty. The faux "MG" heritage is a bonus too. Front on, it does look a bit dated like a Passat, but the other elevations are more attractive. But overall, I think it's an attractive car ( great in red ). Not as futuristic as the Enyaq, Ioniq, Kona, Id.4 etc. But after the affinity deal it's just so incredibly cheap. The low running costs are attractive too. Before taking the Mg5 for a test run I was skeptical, but I was really surprised at how well it drove and handled. That combined with the very low purchase and running costs sealed the deal. So, in summary I have no single overriding reason for having it. More of a combination of the factors I just outlined. I've been asked by quite a few friends "why did you go for the Mg5?", citing various alternatives but they are all 10,20,30l£ more !.
Thanks, all good reasons 👍🏽

My reason for buying the MG5 was.

It was a full EV car
It was the only estate EV available
It had more than 200 mile range
I got it for 21k on the affinity deal
There was 0% Benefit in Kind for an EV for businesses
It had good reviews
Agreed, other than the BIK same reasons for me 👍🏽

My story is a little different to most.
I've owned and driven a cherished RS Ford for the last 8 years but I found myself increasingly unwilling to use it for mundane and short range activities. It's an appreciating asset that rarely saw a wet road or any journey where the engine couldn't be properly exercised so it spent much time in the garage (more so post COVID). It provided (and continues to provide) me with my fix of motoring "fun" but was really not the right vehicle for popping a mile down the road to buy a pint of milk!
Because of this, I decided a long time back that I wanted to have both a fun and a practical car but I could never make up my mind what the practical car should be. It was only in the last couple of years it dawned on me that an EV was the perfect solution but I was holding out for the holy grail i.e. something that would equal or better any mid range ICE car but without a huge price premium. That pretty much ruled out the whole of the EV market until MG came along with the ZSEV last year. I was very tempted but it was soon beaten in the VFM stakes by the MG5 which was, in my opinion, better in almost every respect. Add the icing of eligibility for the Affinity scheme and I just couldn't say no so bought my car in June this year.
The green credentials are good as are the running costs of course but the key factor for me was having a car which is optimised for use in all situations, be that a one mile trip down the road or a 100 mile motorway journey.
Yes, agreed, we have an E46 BMW 325 cabriolet which is the ‘ICE fix’ on occasion 👍🏽

As a Nissan Leaf owner (MG 5 LR due to arrive Jan) I was already sold on how cheap an EV is to run. The Leaf is great but I have the 30kwh version, so range is not great and am also experiencing some degradation having done nearly 70k miles. I was drawn to the MG 5 as a replacement because I have always liked estates but never actually owned one. My daughter has additional needs and we have to carry a special structure for her to sleep in if we go away as she can be very destructive. This packs into 2 large bags which don't fit into the Leaf's boot, so if we go away my wife has to take her van too, which isn't that practical. However I am pleased to say that the bags do fit in the MG 5's boot- a very kind dealer allowed me to try before ordering! The fact that these fit, along with the great price and affinity scheme, were what clinched it for me- I was also impressed with the ride comfort and power available when I did an extended test drive.
Thanks. The Estate is a good amount of storage which surprised me, I can get 4 dogs in the back! 👍🏽

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom