Question/survey for Podcast Monday 18th October

Nearly 40 years ago when microwave ovens first became vaguely affordable for domestic use, I spent hours considering the various features, making a shortlist, viewing appliances at various stores and talking to sales staff before finally making my choice. A couple of months later I visited my parents and my mother was keen to show off her newly re-fitted kitchen and very expensive microwave. Impressed she was moving with the times I asked her what the power output of her microwave was, and she looked at me blankly. Well then. "how many power levels does it have?" I asked. She had no idea. "So, does it use a turntable to rotate the food or one of those stirrer fans to deflect the microwaves?" I ventured, but she was still clueless. "Tell me then", I said, "why did you pick that microwave which cost double the price of the one I'd just bought when you don't seem to know anything about it?" She just smiled and answered brightly, "Easy. It was brown!"

You ask me why I bought an MG EV? Easy. It was red!

I fear I am becoming my mother.......
That made me laugh out loud and I’m sat here on my own! 🤣

I used to work on a petrol forecourt as a holiday job. Had the long hair, beard, acne and leather satchel and often stood in the rain filling up nice cars I knew I'd never own. No canopy either. Hated it when punters would ask for change of a fiver or even worse having to run their credit cards through the roller machine after a tiring dialog along lines of "5 gallons four star, pump 2, magic tree freshener , 3 mars bars and have you a distributor cap for a 74 Austen 1100". all during rush hour. I probably emanated a fairly hostile aura after doing this job all summer. Panic at rush hour followed by hours of extreme boredome. And the endless in shop tape loop of Boney M, Brotherhood Of Man, etc by unoriginal artists. Torture akin to special rendition. So, for me petrol forecourts are tinged with negative vibes even before being subjected to unarmed robbery. Then 45 years later...presto...the Mg5 appears. Cheap, attractive, great drive, estate(!), fast, comfy, tiny running costs. And it's backed with the 7 year warranty. And no more, or at least hardly any forecourts.

I used to work on a petrol forecourt as a holiday job. Had the long hair, beard, acne and leather satchel and often stood in the rain filling up nice cars I knew I'd never own. No canopy either. Hated it when punters would ask for change of a fiver or even worse having to run their credit cards through the roller machine after a tiring dialog along lines of "5 gallons four star, pump 2, magic tree freshener , 3 mars bars and have you a distributor cap for a 74 Austen 1100". all during rush hour. I probably emanated a fairly hostile aura after doing this job all summer. Panic at rush hour followed by hours of extreme boredome. And the endless in shop tape loop of Boney M, Brotherhood Of Man, etc by unoriginal artists. Torture akin to special rendition. So, for me petrol forecourts are tinged with negative vibes even before being subjected to unarmed robbery. Then 45 years later...presto...the Mg5 appears. Cheap, attractive, great drive, estate(!), fast, comfy, tiny running costs. And it's backed with the 7 year warranty. And no more, or at least hardly any forecourts.
Fantastic story, I was a bit worried there I was on the wrong forum.....glad there was a happy ending 🤪

I’ve had my red 5 for nearly 10 months. We are going to be talking about the new MG 5 facelift.

After a discussion with a friend he was surprised I had a 5 as I’ve always been fussy about how a car looks. As admittedly I don’t think it’s a “looker” We would like to know why you have yours. Please reply with your reasons on this thread. 😊
My reason is purely saving on running costs 🙂
I got mine on the basis that it seemed to be the cheapest 50kWh battery on wheels. Having made that decision last February, I have enjoyed every minute of driving it and find it good fun, reliable and even the few reservations that I initially had, such as no hand brake and nothing for my left foot to do faded very quickly as soon as I started driving it. For me, after 63 years of driving I find more fun and satisfaction than with any previous car - even my first, a Riley Lincock with crash gearbox and mechanical (cable) brakes.

I have ordered mine to arrive in November. I had a first gen Leaf back in 2017 but went back to ICE vehicles simply because of range and space for family.
Main reasons for purchasing the MG5 were that it was outstanding value, had much better range and had space. Personally the environmental benefits whilst important we’re not a primary reason.

I actually prefer the look of the current model from an exterior perspective but do like the facelift internally.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom