Queuing etiquette

carol16

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Sorry if this is a silly question but I am a complete novice owning an EV, having previously owned a PHEZ. Is there an accepted etiquette for establishing your position in the queue for a public charger if it's already occupied? It's not always possible to park adjacent to the charger so would not want to miss out on "my turn" having waited for possibly some time.

I'm interested in this one too, being a very infrequent public user.

I went to a Lidl the other day and the charger was in use, but I parked in the bay directly opposite. I popped into the store just to get a drink and when I got back there was another EV a few bays along, clearly waiting too. As I hadn't stood by my car I wondered what would have happened had I waited for the bloke to finish charging, and moved in. As it was, I couldn't be bothered waiting so left and went somewhere nearer home.

Sadly, it's all a bit haphazard. If the driver of the car charging is with his car it's often worth asking him as he probably knows the pecking order.

The simple answer is that there is no real protocol among EV drivers, unfortunately.

In the early days, when there were far few early adopters there was a more accommodating comradery, and although fewer public chargers, there was more of a "after you," "no after you" culture. However, there are far more EVs on the roads, and for many filling with electric juice is just another type of fuel and the drivers expect to just turn up to a forecourt and quickly fill up rather than embrace the EV Culture. So now the culture is just every man/women for themselves.

Just don't get me started on the whole issue of whether you can unplug a car that has finished its Rapid charge! Can you, Can't you unplug and take over the Rapid charger? According to the people I spoke to at Grid Serve, they say the Charger belongs to the Charging provider and so if the charge has finished, then you the next EV driver can remove the charging cable if there is a bay you can use. However, many drivers say you shouldn't interfere with their car. In reality, if the session has ended the plug should be unlatched, so you've no need to touch the other car just remove the Rapid charging plug and cable belonging to the Rapid charger. I'd suggest if you do this you take photos on your phone as evidence before doing anything.

Well said! I couldn’t agree more. Looking ahead, I do worry about the growing numbers of ‘reluctant’ EV drivers, compelled to make the change, and the associated and increasingly negative cultural shift.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know people won't necessarily like the idea but could do with a 5min holding system where you book the next slot and when the charge is complete it alerts you and you have 5min to get in the bay and only you can start the charge in those 5mins.

Obvs doesn't stop someone queue jumping and sitting to wait for your 5min to lapse

The simple answer is that there is no real protocol among EV drivers, unfortunately.

In the early days, when there were far few early adopters there was a more accommodating comradery, and although fewer public chargers, there was more of a "after you," "no after you" culture. However, there are far more EVs on the roads, and for many filling with electric juice is just another type of fuel and the drivers expect to just turn up to a forecourt and quickly fill up rather than embrace the EV Culture. So now the culture is just every man/women for themselves.

Just don't get me started on the whole issue of whether you can unplug a car that has finished its Rapid charge! Can you, Can't you unplug and take over the Rapid charger? According to the people I spoke to at Grid Serve, they say the Charger belongs to the Charging provider and so if the charge has finished, then you the next EV driver can remove the charging cable if there is a bay you can use. However, many drivers say you shouldn't interfere with their car. In reality, if the session has ended the plug should be unlatched, so you've no need to touch the other car just remove the Rapid charging plug and cable belonging to the Rapid charger. I'd suggest if you do this you take photos on your phone as evidence before doing anyTh
That's OK as long as the car as indeed finished charging,and not just randomly stopped mid charge. So driver gets back to half charged car,and the lead is now in another vehicle??

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped at M1 services on Friday evening near Milton Keynes and saw lots of men standing around a car park on the outer edges. It looked dodgy until I realised they were all waiting for the Tesla chargers!

I think the etiquette is the same as going to the bar to get drinks.

I stopped at M1 services on Friday evening near Milton Keynes and saw lots of men standing around a car park on the outer edges. It looked dodgy until I realised they were all waiting for the Tesla chargers!

I think the etiquette is the same as going to the bar to get drinks.
Regulars & mates first? Fit birds first?

Speaking of etiquette or lack of, I arrived at a rapid charger today to find a Mercedes tank straddling both bays and no sign of the driver, couldn't get near the charger till the tw** came back and drove off without a care in the world.

A non-EV presumably?

We ought to have some useful windscreen stickers made up which can be stuck at a appropriately safe but highly visible place on the windscreen pointing out that it is an EV charging bay!!

A non-EV presumably?

We ought to have some useful windscreen stickers made up which can be stuck at a appropriately safe but highly visible place on the windscreen pointing out that it is an EV charging bay!!
With cyanoacrylate adhesive applied in the form of letters spelling "I'm a tw I t" 👍🏻

Last edited:
A non-EV presumably?

No, it was plugged in to the CCS.

Don't overlook that there is often a time limit on car parks, so adding the waiting time to the charging time might take you over the limit. This is particularly true of Lidl, where you only get 90 minutes.

Don't overlook that there is often a time limit on car parks, so adding the waiting time to the charging time might take you over the limit. This is particularly true of Lidl, where you only get 90 minutes.
It's great to see these companies in the UK provide charging in their carparks. We don't have Lidl, but do have Aldi and they don't provide anything. Very few of the other supermarkets here do either. So hats off, even if time limit is 90 mins. 👍☀️🔋

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom