R33 update. What does it improve?

Ian Key

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I'm booked in next week to have the infotainment software updated from R24 to R33 on my Trophy because every now and again on start-up the infotainment screen goes black as it tries and decides if it's daylight or not. It does reboot by holding down the home button for a few seconds.

I was just wondering what else the upgrade sorts out or am I trading one problem for another?

Oh! And they offered me a free courtesy car without asking just in case it takes longer than expected.

My Trophy was updated to R33 a few weeks agobecause the satnav kept freezing. After the update the satnav continues to freeze and I cannot pair my iPhone via Bluetooth (which was not a problem before)

Yes, bluetooth is flaky with R33, don't know about earlier versions because I have never had them. CarPlay is pretty solid though, which I use all the time anyway, and that doesn't need bluetooth (I think Android Auto does). There's the occasional reboot of CarPlay but that only takes a few seconds.

I'm booked in next week to have the infotainment software updated from R24 to R33 on my Trophy
I too was intending to ask for this update. Is there any definitive statement on what it DOES fix or do we just know what it doesn't? It's rather disappointing that some of these problems have presumably been known about for many months now but they have not yet been fixed.

I too was intending to ask for this update. Is there any definitive statement on what it DOES fix or do we just know what it doesn't? It's rather disappointing that some of these problems have presumably been known about for many months now but they have not yet been fixed.
How can l tell what R upgrade my trophy is on please

MG don't issue patch notes to the public.

MG don't issue patch notes to the public.
Agreed. But, between us, can't we deduce what HAS been fixed, or is it that nothing has been fixed? From comments in the forum, it seems that many dealers are as much in the dark as I am. It would help if I could go to my dealer and ask for the 'XYZ' software fix to be installed.

Agreed. But, between us, can't we deduce what HAS been fixed, or is it that nothing has been fixed? From comments in the forum, it seems that many dealers are as much in the dark as I am. It would help if I could go to my dealer and ask for the 'XYZ' software fix to be installed.
There have been various earlier threads where people have noticed various changes and fixes in the recent updates but there's no definitive list.

You could do us all the favour of searching and assembling such a list, that would be extremely helpful.

I have R33 on my Trophy. Not perfect , my Bluetooth loses its pairing sometimes (not always) and the sat nav can freeze and a tap on the screen brings it back. Have reported both issues, awaiting an update to fix it.
How do you find what version of the update you have?

I'm booked in next week to have the infotainment software updated from R24 to R33 on my Trophy because every now and again on start-up the infotainment screen goes black as it tries and decides if it's daylight or not. It does reboot by holding down the home button for a few seconds.

I was just wondering what else the upgrade sorts out or am I trading one problem for another?
Mine does this now and then, R33 didn't improve it. In my case it's not the entire screen that goes black, I still get the icons on the side. So I can usually select something and then it reappears.
Looks like I'm swapping one fault for another but at least I get the radio station logos ...don't I?
I had the station logos with R24 and now with R33 they are gone. :LOL:

It's really fascinating (in a way) how volatile and random those software glitches are.

Mine does this now and then, R33 didn't improve it. In my case it's not the entire screen that goes black, I still get the icons on the side. So I can usually select something and then it reappears.
That is actually what mine does. Trouble is it doesn't do it every time so I'm trying to video it but it appears to be camera shy because it doesn't happen when it's being filmed.

I'm letting them have a look anyway so it can at least be reported back to MG.

After watching closely what was happening I think it's caused by switching off the lights during the infotainment screen's long booting up sequence, the one where it shows the swirly lights and the MG logo etc. If it starts up instantly the problem doesn't occur.

Now I'm in two minds whether or not to get the update or to cancel the appointment.

It is a difficult call. I am sure there's a bunch of fixed bugs - but you may not be bothered by them - and I am sure it brings new bugs - which you may be bothered by.

It will get updated at the next service anyway.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 88 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back