Radio & Bluetooth irritation

RhysG

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
So... another newbie question.

I'm sat (parked) in my MG4 SE Long Range. Radio is on. Bluetooth is connected (no cable). I touch my phone screen (for anything - open a photo or messaging app or anything) and the radio switches to bluetooth option of music or poedcast or whatever.

This means that I can't have the radio on and use my phone when parked if bluetooth is connected.

What am I missing here? I've been messing about with the controls for ages, to no avail.

This is part in play down to your phone, rather than the car.
Whenever you open an app that is allowed to use sound on your phone, it will initialise/test it's capability to play sound, and because your phone is set currently to output sound to the Bluetooth connection, when the phone does this test it pings that Bluetooth connection - your car sees this as a sound output and switches source automatically.

I don't have my car yet, so I am not sure on the available infotainment settings available, but if there is an 'auto-switch source' toggle somewhere, or something like that, turning that off might stop it changing from the radio whenever it detects a sound update from your phone.

I'm sat (parked) in my MG4 SE Long Range. Radio is on. Bluetooth is connected (no cable). I touch my phone screen (for anything - open a photo or messaging app or anything) and the radio switches to bluetooth option of music or poedcast or whatever.

This means that I can't have the radio on and use my phone when parked if bluetooth is connected.

What am I missing here? I've been messing about with the controls for ages, to no avail.
On Samsung you can set multiple sources for sound outputs (in my current car I have it set to Bluetooth for YouTube music and Plexamp but nothing else) and this works okay for me. Maybe there is a similar setting on your phone?

Thanks both. This was never an issue in previous cars. Both of your suggestions make sense, but neither worked for me, yet.

So, the only solution at the moment is to use Android Auto all the time, or to switch off bluetooth.

TBH with my current car (Insignia) I tend to use AA all the time anyway ... I don't see me doing anything different once I get my MG4. :)

Mine has done this. I also find frustrating is that you can't choose a different audio file on the car (album,artist etc). than the one you have been playing on your phone.
It also won't show text messages.
In addition you don't seem to be able to download station ident logo's to the DAB radio although there is a little picture logo on the display to suggest you might.
I tend to use AA ( I still have the preproduction watermark) and the vlc player but the bluetooth options would be nice.

This explains a lot! It has been frustrating me why radio is so erratic. Turning Bluetooth off isn’t really an option as need it for phone etc.

You could try turning off audio in your Bluetooth settings on your phone ?

It's your phone settings for notifications. If the head unit receives a notification it automatically switches to the app that sent the notification.

Thanks both. This was never an issue in previous cars. Both of your suggestions make sense, but neither worked for me, yet.

So, the only solution at the moment is to use Android Auto all the time, or to switch off bluetooth.
The kicker is that you can't turn off Bluetooth as it's required for AA. I'm like you have never had any issues with other vehicles mine switches randomly on its own. I can't even play usb music as it doesn't see albums only tracks and plays them in alphabetical order😡

It's your phone settings for notifications. If the head unit receives a notification it automatically switches to the app that sent the notification.
I don't think Bluetooth music sends notifications especially when not running 🤔

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel