Radio not turning off when turn car off

katkin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just got our MG5 Trophy. Had a HS PHEV before.
On the previous car I would turn off, then when I opened the door the radio would turn off. This isn't the same with this one. I get out, shut the door with the music still playing whilst emptying children out of the car or shopping.
It only finally turns off when car is locked.
Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure, other than hitting return too many times in your post :) (EDIT the moderator edit fixed this)

If the radio turns off at some point is there a problem?

Last edited:
The ZS EV ( Gen2 ) facelift model is the very same !.
You power down the car and get out and the radio is still playing away to itself !.
It only turns off if you lock the car with the fob.
But if you power down the car and leave, without locking the doors, the radio will close down after about 10 minutes.
It’s the same if you are sitting in the car and waiting to pick somebody up.
If you power the car down, the radio will continue playing for 10 minutes, then it will close down.
If you want the radio on while waiting, leave the car in READY state.
It is done this way, to avoid flattening the 12 volt battery.
The 12 volt battery, is not being charged while the car is in the STANDBY mode.
Not on the ZS EV and I expect the other models are designed the same way.

Last edited:
@severs1966

I agree! My post was merely to point out that different models of MG EVs seem to behave differently. I actually very much prefer that "everything" shuts down at the same time.

So there's no setting to change this behavior? I had hoped I could change it to turn off when I power off the car rather than it turning off after 10 mins or when I lock the car.

So there's no setting to change this behavior? I had hoped I could change it to turn off when I power off the car rather than it turning off after 10 mins or when I lock the car.
I too find this very odd behaviour. I arrive at work, open the door stereo blasting, open the boot stereo blasting, and only when I shut the boot and lock the car does it turn the radio off.
I've been through lots of settings and can't find one that changes this.

Nope !.
This the way the ZS EV ( facelift at least ) has been coded to perform.
When the car is powered down or in standby mode, after about 10 minutes it will completely close down and shut off the info / radio unit.
Unless you leave the car and then lock it with the fob.
Then it will instantly close down the info / radio unit.
I struggle to understand why it has been programmed this way TBH.

Lock the car when you get out, then open the boot. :)

This sounds like some sort of fudge. One thing I've noticed on mine (1st gen) is that when I turn the engine off, the radio appears to turn off, but it holds the Bluetooth open to the phone. This means that if I'm on a call, it goes silent but the phone doesn't switch back to phone mode, it stays on Bluetooth and I can't continue the call. Does the same in reverse, unlock the car, phone connects on Bluetooth even when the car is off. Maybe they've set the radio to stay on while the Bluetooth is active (my previous VW did this if I was on a call at the time I turned the car off).

I too find this very odd behaviour. I arrive at work, open the door stereo blasting, open the boot stereo blasting, and only when I shut the boot and lock the car does it turn the radio off.
I've been through lots of settings and can't find one that changes this.
Maybe a stopgap answer but if you mute the radio from the steering wheel when you stop you wont notice the thing blaring away. Who leaves the car unlocked and unattended anyway 😱😱

Just got our MG5 Trophy. Had a HS PHEV before.
On the previous car I would turn off, then when I opened the door the radio would turn off. This isn't the same with this one. I get out, shut the door with the music still playing whilst emptying children out of the car or shopping.
It only finally turns off when car is locked.
Am I doing something wrong?
Radio will turn off when you lock the car and are out of range of the key fob.

Maybe a stopgap answer but if you mute the radio from the steering wheel when you stop you wont notice the thing blaring away. Who leaves the car unlocked and unattended anyway 😱😱

:unsure::(:whistle:

I've got into the habit of checking the car as I lock the house at night...

My ICE cars were the same, the radio stays on when the engine stops and only goes off when you lock the car. Fairly standard behaviour IMHO

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom