Rain

NeFo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hello, what advice have you got for charging in the rain? How do you keep your cables dry? How do you stop water getting into the connectors? Do i need to dry everything off before i close the connector cover?
i know this can't be a fair-weather-only car, but some official guidance would be useful.

I normally dry the socket and covers on the car and cable dry with a tissue . The cable itself I don't worry about too much unless it's monsoon season ( 11and a half months of the year in Wales ) ;)

I agree it's generally safe . My point is, if the protective bungs on the cable and car charging port have gathered water on the inner surfaces , as they do. I dry them before refitting them .Otherwise you've bypassed water ingress protection . Better safe than sorry

Last edited:
Hello, what advice have you got for charging in the rain? How do you keep your cables dry? How do you stop water getting into the connectors? Do i need to dry everything off before i close the connector cover?
i know this can't be a fair-weather-only car, but some official guidance would be useful.
Don't overthink it, just dry it if it is wet. Can't say I have ever needed to, and have charged in the rain many a time.

Hope this helps.

I turn the cable and socket caps onwards so the rain doesn't collect in them, as long as the wind doesn't turn them.

My drive is on a slope so maybe it helps keep them in place.
It seems to keep the innards dry but that may just be down to luck.

No company is going to create a system of charging that you cannot do in the rain. People in general ( obvsly not members here :) ) are pretty dumb when it comes to technology so it has to be easy, foolproof and safe.

I don't bother putting the rubber end caps on the cable if they've gotten full of water, I'd also not put the cable in it's bag if it's been out in the rain but rather leave it somewhere to dry.

I suppose by not putting the rubber caps on some dirt might get into the connectors but I feel that's less of a risk than water definately getting in there If I was to put a wet end-cap on.

I have an untethered charger so I don't have any cables that are left outside when not charging.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom