random portable charging idea

pollenface

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I've been watching videos on youtube of people charging their EV's from portable powerstations with vast arrays of flexible solar panels.

I've just worked out that I can fit 3x 12.8v 300ah lifepo4 batteries in the boot. Couple those with a 36v 3000w pure sine wave inverter weighing a total of about 120kg and an approximate cost of $5200aud.

MG-boot-dimensions.png

At 85% dc/ac efficiency it could add about 55-60kms of driving range.

Just single 300ah lifepo4 battery could offer 18-20kms driving range.

The mind boggles.

You're probably better off with a suitable petrol or diesel generator there's some really small and Powerful ones available 2.5kw would run the granny quite happily I don't think anywhere in the UK is remote enough to justify

Interesting, but do you know how to tie this in with the BMS ?

I agree with N2STY, you'd probably get much more bang for your buck with a small petrol genny. I have a 3kw unit with electric start, cost about £300.

Are you factoring added weight of the stuff to your range. Dragging extra 120kg everywhere with you will soon reduce the efficiency of a car.

I think it's too much hassle to be worth it for any practical uses. The only time when you would benefit from extra 40 miles of range is long journey and you would likely not be able to use this MacGyver invention on this long journey.

It seems very impractical for most use cases

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom