Range anxiety: going on vacation to UK with MG4 standard range

markme123

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi folks,

I live in The Netherlands and I am planning a 10 day roadtrip to the UK in May. See the picture for the route. In total it is a roadtrip of around 1500km. So I will need a lot of DC chargers during my trip (range will be around 300km and with DC charging it is only efficient till 80% charging, so around 250km range). Is this doable in the spring? Are there enought DC chargers on my route to have a relaxed road trip, and also in the less urban regions? Thanks for your advice!

Best regards
Mark

Attachments

• Foto 02-01-2024 om 19.09.jpeg
    Foto 02-01-2024 om 19.09.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 79
I suggest you get and install ZapMap (other apps are available) and look for charge points on your route.

However I don't think you'll have many issues - 150 miles (250 km) should be doable in May, depending on temperatures. However I'd suggest 200 km between charge stops to be on the safe side, especially if you're only charging to 80% at each stop - that's going to be the best part of 2 hours driving time so you'll probably be ready for a stop anyway. :)

My general advice would be to use the Electroverse app for route planning. Set the filters appropriately and include chargers which aren't partnered with Electroverse. The only chargers not shown are Tesla, so it is worthwhile loading this app.
Comments on this forum indicate it's worth getting a ChargePlace Scotland card. GridPoint chargers are generally reliable, GeniePoint may not be. Payment may be an issue, so it may be worth loading the apps from Fastned, BP pulse and Shell plus others as necessary.
I do know the A55 to Caernarfon and it has few fast chargers. A suitable stop on this route, but no chargers, is the RSPB bird reserve at Conwy, which has a cafe.
Hope you have a great time.

A Better Route Planner is useful for planning road trips. Zap-Map as mentioned, as well as Plug Share and WattsApp.
If you use Android Auto, in the search menu, under Categories, you can select EV Chargers and it will show you where the local chargers are.

You've got some nice sightseeing stops on your map. If you are going to Ludlow, make sure you call in at Cardingmill Valley, it's beautiful there. :)

Enjoy your holiday.

Hi folks,

I live in The Netherlands and I am planning a 10 day roadtrip to the UK in May. See the picture for the route. In total it is a roadtrip of around 1500km. So I will need a lot of DC chargers during my trip (range will be around 300km and with DC charging it is only efficient till 80% charging, so around 250km range). Is this doable in the spring? Are there enought DC chargers on my route to have a relaxed road trip, and also in the less urban regions? Thanks for your advice!

Best regards
Mark
If you use the apps the others have suggested you will be fine.

I can give you advice on rapid DC chargers around Bristol area that are not far from the motorway which can be useful as the ones at motorway services can be busy at times.

My general advice would be to use the Electroverse app for route planning. Set the filters appropriately and include chargers which aren't partnered with Electroverse. The only chargers not shown are Tesla, so it is worthwhile loading this app.
Comments on this forum indicate it's worth getting a ChargePlace Scotland card. GridPoint chargers are generally reliable, GeniePoint may not be. Payment may be an issue, so it may be worth loading the apps from Fastned, BP pulse and Shell plus others as necessary.
I do know the A55 to Caernarfon and it has few fast chargers. A suitable stop on this route, but no chargers, is the RSPB bird reserve at Conwy, which has a cafe.
Hope you have a great time.
Gridserve, Fastned, BP Pulse, and Shell are all contactless, no need for apps. Agree, avoid Geniepoint like the plague.

Gridserve, Fastned, BP Pulse, and Shell are all contactless, no need for apps. Agree, avoid Geniepoint like the plague.
I suggested the apps just in case contactless doesn't work. That apps should also show all the provider's chargers, which is not necessarily the case with third party maps.

I agree basically with everyone else. I use ABRP to plan the route and give me a rough idea of what chargers are where on my trip. I then use IOS maps to navigate.

I have most of the apps mentioned above installed and ready to use just in case I need them. Saves time trying to download and set up on route.

My first go to are Bonnet, and Electroverse as these often give a discount.

I got mine in May 2022 (long before I even knew about the MG4, and when I was anticipating getting a Volvo V60 PHEV company car, which fell through) and it was £10 then. (Just checked my CPS dashboard to confirm timing). 🤷‍♂️

North Wales is a fast charger desert - especially around the Caernarfon area. The ones on the maps at supermarkets do not work (and haven't for a year or more). There is a Tesla charge point at Flint Mountain and a fast-ish charger just off the A55 in Bangor. But Caernarfon itself - forget it, destination chargers only. There is a single reasonably cheap 50 kW charger in Menai Bridge.

We didn't have any problems going up into Scotland - once past the big cities the really fast chargers become thin on the ground, but there 50 kW. As others have said, get yourself a Charge Place Scotland card before you go. It costs £12 but some chargers don't have great mobile reception to use the app.

North Wales is a fast charger desert - especially around the Caernarfon area. The ones on the maps at supermarkets do not work (and haven't for a year or more). There is a Tesla charge point at Flint Mountain and a fast-ish charger just off the A55 in Bangor. But Caernarfon itself - forget it, destination chargers only. There is a single reasonably cheap 50 kW charger in Menai Bridge.

We didn't have any problems going up into Scotland - once past the big cities the really fast chargers become thin on the ground, but there 50 kW. As others have said, get yourself a Charge Place Scotland card before you go. It costs £12 but some chargers don't have great mobile reception to use the app.
That's the case with the Wenea charge points in the main car park at Luss ... no contactless option, and no mobile reception (on the O2 network anyway) for the app to work. 🙄

When we were there there were plenty of Rapids dotted along the A55 between Anglesey and the other end. We used the Ospreys at Talardy Hotel, also others at Kinmel Park east and west, Bangor Services, couple of Instavolts at Darwin Escapes at Conwy plus the Lidl there etc.
Anglesey end agree a bit barren but top up enough elsewhere.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom