Range anxiety: going on vacation to UK with MG4 standard range

Definitely get a ChargePlace Scotland card. They cost £10 and are available via the CPS website. CPS run a large percentage of the public chargers on this side of the border.

Goede reis!

He cannot get a CPS card, he's from the Netherlands.

What he can do is get the app and use WebPay on Chargeplace Scotland chargers, or contactless if the unit is a newer one.

Hi
Use Zap map to plan your route for chargers, it’s getting better in the uk for charging but 2 bits of advice do not wait for chargers if all full have a plan B as motorway services are free for 2 hrs only after that you need to pay to stay. My 2nd is your sat nav will have up to date chargers in it and more than likely away from motorway service which you may get on them straight away. And always check the plate about parking if need to pay or that if you stay and finished charging that you do not get charged for over stay leaving you car plugged in.

Hi
Use Zap map to plan your route for chargers, it’s getting better in the uk for charging but 2 bits of advice do not wait for chargers if all full have a plan B as motorway services are free for 2 hrs only after that you need to pay to stay. My 2nd is your sat nav will have up to date chargers in it and more than likely away from motorway service which you may get on them straight away. And always check the plate about parking if need to pay or that if you stay and finished charging that you do not get charged for over stay leaving you car plugged in.
Also, if you use Google maps on Android Auto, if you use search and select Categories, you can view all Chargers in the area. :)

In some car parks, you may get the first hour free but you must still get a ticket on entry. For example Fastned at Redbridge park and ride just outside Oxford

Last edited:
I'm sure @Rolfe met a foreign national (also Dutch?) at her local CPS charger and he had a CPS card?

Edit: in fact CPS have a web page precisely about this:

No, he lived in Denmark. He was Scottish but he said he didn't have a card because he didn't have a UK bank account. But that was last April. I think they have a way for people to get a card without a UK bank account now.

Mine was £12 too, at that time.

As others have said, you'll fine.

I also have an SR car, and I did central Scotland to Sussex and back last August with no serious issues. I also note that several motorway service stations I was avoiding then because they had nothing but a couple of old 50 Kw Gridserves have now acquired a row of 350 Kw units.

If you use the apps the others have suggested you will be fine.

I can give you advice on rapid DC chargers around Bristol area that are not far from the motorway which can be useful as the ones at motorway services can be busy at times.
I have recently bought an MG4 and go to Bristol quite often. I’d be interested to hear your advice on off-motorway charge points. Thanks. jimben0351[at]aol.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree, the A55 along the north coast is now pretty good, beyond that though it is pretty dire.
I live in Aberdeen and I have driven to Basingstoke and London via Glasgow and the M6 There are plenty of High speed chargers on route and therefore no need to worry about the availability of chargers, I used to have range anxiety but don't worry about this any more, there is an App called A Better Route Planner available via the APPS store for Apple Users and Google Play for Android users, you can plan your journey using this tool and it will take into account your type of car you have and you can filter your journey so it will only give you high speed chargers etc. Enjoy your journey and don't worry

In most forums I'm a member of, posting personal details is against forum rules. (I've not checked the rules here to see if that is indeed the case).

I have recently bought an MG4 and go to Bristol quite often. I’d be interested to hear your advice on off-motorway charge points.
In no particular order:
8x 150kW chargers at Sainsburys Emersons Green (5-6 minutes from M32/M4)
2x Instavolt at Costa Coffee on A4174 Ring road just after Willy Wicket roundabout (Close to M32/M4)
4x MFG Rapid chargers at Emersons Green
5x Instavolt at Bristol Golf Centre, Frenchay
8x rapid chargers Tesco Bradley Stoke (currently being installed)
Podpoint rapid charger at Lidl, Charlton Hayes by Aerospace museum. Close to M5
8x MFG chargers at Charlton Hayes, close to M5 and Cribbs Causeway

These are all in North Bristol area and close to M32/M4/M5 motorways

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom