Range Anxiety?

Crispydoc: I have to admire your diligence in driving for over 4 hours at that speed - I just can’t do it! And with no air on! I just can’t do it! The result is my normal figure is about 3.5 m/kW. My thought process is just to use the car as I would any car and if I have to recharge en route - so be it. After all, it would be unusual to do 4 hours without a lunch break.

I have some stuff concerting my longish drive today , I mentioned yesterday that i've not used the motorway much. I thought I'd give a try today, on a trip from Derby to Sheffield. I drove the car quite vigorously up the M1, just as I would have done with my old ICE car. On the return trip I drove down the slow way...through Chesterfield and the Derbyshire countryside. It took twice as long to do the approx 40 miles..but it was much more pleasant. I set off with about 168 miles showing in Eco mode, we only used fresh air. no Air con, but quite normal apart from that. I'll leave you to interpret the figures.....I got home with 73 miles range..

View attachment 387

BTW...as I the only person sad enough to keep my engine bay cleaned?
No - I wipe my engine bay clean too I’m afraid 😎

We did stop for a break, we also had some slow road works..the rest of the time we kept up with the traffic. It normally takes 3 1/2 hours without a stop anyway. There is very little dual carriageway on this trip.

It was early morning so not too hot, the car was not a bit stuffy with the sunroof open.

On previous occasions when we drove quicker, (more wastefully) it took 40 mins to put a meaningful amount of power back in the battery. This will be my chosen option in future. :)

We did stop for a break, we also had some slow road works..the rest of the time we kept up with the traffic. It normally takes 3 1/2 hours without a stop anyway. There is very little dual carriageway on this trip.

It was early morning so not too hot, the car was not a bit stuffy with the sunroof open.

On previous occasions when we drove quicker, (more wastefully) it took 40 mins to put a meaningful amount of power back in the battery. This will be my chosen option in future. :)
Good to hear your still enjoying your ZS.
I must admit we tend to not worry about how we drive, just drive and enjoy it every time you drive past a petrol station, especially when you see the prices atm, on our trip today to Pembrokeshire I’ve seen diesel at £1.42/ litre, oh how we giggle.😁

Last edited:
I think speed and Eco mode were the two main factors. There was a lot of other traffic and I was happy to sit behind most of the time.

We did have an "Ace up our sleeve" about 2/3 rds of the way from our destination, the new Necton services had finally got the bank of rapid charges working. We had planned to stop, but as we approach, we still had about 65 miles of range and only 45/50 miles to go......I decided to press on. The Mrs wasn't impressed one bit!

It got much worse very quickly as the distance to our destination and our range started to merge together ....what was going on? It then occurred to me that I had put Necton in as a waypoint and although we passed within a few meters of it, the satnav kept trying to take us back!! Once re-set, the 20 mile margin re-appeared and we both settled down again!? We will be calling at Necton of the way home, just to try it out.

BTW, my granny charger, re-charged the battery fully from noon yesterday, by 06.00 today. I have bought a 7KW? charger off eBay that will be fitted soon, but to be honest we don't really need it as we only do about 90 miles a day as we potter about. With the PHEV it was an irritant to use petrol on such occasions.

View attachment 328

..that why we love the MG.

I'll go outside now, cut the hedge and pull the weeds.... in the rain........months of neglect has taken its toll.
Have fun in the garden and enjoy that summer!

I did my first long trip today -190miles. I had wanted to stop at Costa Gosforth but at 140 miles I was not sure so we stopped in Durham instead and used an Instavolt charger at Bannantynes health club. We could have made it to Gosforth as the car was still showing 50 miles left after a journey of 120 miles.

We stopped at Gosforth anyway for a look. Costa coffee, Greggs and 6 new Instavolt chargers - not a single one in use.
74328CC2-B9BF-4D1B-BFBA-E27F107A6100.jpeg
74328CC2-B9BF-4D1B-BFBA-E27F107A6100.jpeg

We had a final stop in Alnwick to top up for next week. The Osprey app worked perfectly.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom