Range drops almost immediately after charge

moderatelymod

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,

When charged to 100%, display tells me I’ve a range of 167 miles on eco. After about a mile, it drops to about 148.

Apparently my batter cells are at 448 volts after full charge.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi all,

When charged to 100%, display tells me I’ve a range of 167 miles on eco. After about a mile, it drops to about 148.

Apparently my batter cells are at 448 volts after full charge.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks!
the 148 is probably based on a calculation of how you are driving since turning the car on. If you have been particularly heavy footed or driving uphill, or you wacked on the A/C then the range is going to drop based on that additional usage.

Is that first mile uphill and you are driving fast?
the 148 is probably based on a calculation of how you are driving since turning the car on. If you have been particularly heavy footed or driving uphill, or you wacked on the A/C then the range is going to drop based on that additional usage.
Hey! The first mile is flat and 30 mph

How often do you use rapid chargers and how often do you balance the battery?
I use rapid charges maybe 1-2 times a week.
I’ve only had it a few weeks, and just balanced it today. Hopefully that makes a difference.

It’s a year old with 17k miles on it, so I guess however the previous owner maintained their battery will have any impact here?

Perhaps run it to under 50% and balance again a few times I read this was the procedure after the original BMS update.

On my car, a 2022 SR model, the range displayed after charge is the range WITHOUT the HVAC.
When I start the car, obviously the HVAC is on, and the range is cut by around 15 to 20 kilometers

Try starting the car and disabling the HVAC, the range should remain the same

Hi all, thanks for your replies. As you could probably tell, this post was during my first few weeks as an EV owner.

Yes, the fan certainly made a difference! Greater than I expected.

Balancing the battery also really helped. Before then. I would do well to get a range of 135, but since I am consistently getting a range of 170+ unbelievably, on the same sort of conditions/spends etc..

I tell you what I had on mine. I would do a fairly big trip and the SOC would drop by just 1%. Then a couple of trips later the SOC would plummet from 50% to 39% in no time as if it is correcting itself. Very strange

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom