Range Extender

Yes, I read about Mazda - very strange - produce a small battery car and say it’s the sweet spot for EV’s then introduce a range extender. I had one of the first i3 range extenders.
How did you find it? The petrol tank only held enough fuel for 70-100 miles.
Back then I could see the appeal as EV's weren't mainstream and ranges were small, but the new Model S can do over 500 miles!

Upvote 0
Soo the regen definitely didn’t kick in...
I wonder if the salvage company found the ankle weight that was attached to the steering wheel to fool the mg pilot

Looks like original bulbs, didn't stand a chance out in the dark.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did 148 miles averaging 31MPH and got home with 5% battery.
That was with no heating, sunroof tilted, heated seat on and stereo on loud.
Had to judiciously use the different KERS modes too which made me realise how much better it would be if the car had steering wheel paddles like Kia's to adjust the regen.

Also Geniepoint is total ****. It's a nightmare using the app as it's slower than an iPhone 4 and getting the charge to start is hit and miss.

I also noticed that if you lock the car with the internal button whilst rapid charging it keeps unlocking after so long. Really quite irksome and in the end had to use the remote locking to stop it.

Upvote 0
How did you find it? The petrol tank only held enough fuel for 70-100 miles.
Back then I could see the appeal as EV's weren't mainstream and ranges were small, but the new Model S can do over 500 miles!
I liked it. I found the ride quite hard. I didn’t use the extender much but at the time it did give a bit of extra security as the range on batteries was not great as you mention. I think they have now stopped making the extender version.

Upvote 0
I think it's possible, I'm trying to find out if anybody has done it or can do it. I run an electric taxi company and one of my cars is a ZS EV
A neighbour of mine told
me he has almost doubled the range of his 1st generation Nissan Leaf by having extra batteries fitted to his car. Not cheap I’m afraid it cost him €7,000•00 (approx £6,500•00)

Upvote 0
A neighbour of mine told
me he has almost doubled the range of his 1st generation Nissan Leaf by having extra batteries fitted to his car. Not cheap I’m afraid it cost him €7,000•00 (approx £6,500•00)
Cheaper than the depreciation in the first couple of years on a new car.

Upvote 0
When I looked under my ZS I was surprised how much space there is where I presume the fuel tank would be situated on the ICE car. There's space enough for a double decker battery which would be in effect below the rear seats so ahead of the rear axial and behind the existing slap of a battery pack. But it wouldn't be an insignificant project to build a battery pack to fit in that space plumbing in both the coolant and the HV, not to mention the issues you would have with the BMS! Good luck with that!

Upvote 0
When I looked under my ZS I was surprised how much space there is where I presume the fuel tank would be situated on the ICE car. There's space enough for a double decker battery which would be in effect below the rear seats so ahead of the rear axial and behind the existing slap of a battery pack. But it wouldn't be an insignificant project to build a battery pack to fit in that space plumbing in both the coolant and the HV, not to mention the issues you would have with the BMS! Good luck with that!
Space might be reserved for 4WD version to come ?

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom