Rapid charge failed

ippy1

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Trip from Leics to London today.
Set off 100% SOC
Got to outskirts and decided to rapid charge for return journey.
Gridserve rejected by the car, charge would not start. Contacted help line, but unable to resolve. Continued journey and tried again in London, Gridserve, BP, still no joy.
Called engineer out from insurance, he disconnected 12v battery and restarted the car, still didn’t work.
Eventually plugged my standard non rapid lead in, and got it working 3.2 kw!
Very long wait but got sufficient charge to complete my home journey.
After I’d charged it and before I continued, I tried the rapid again, but still no joy.
Zappi was okay when I got home, so just unable to rapid charge!!
Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?the car rejected any rapid I plugged in to it, and I tried them all today Gridserve, BP, Apple green, ionity. ????
MG beware, I’ll be giving you some grief tomorrow.

Last edited:
Trip from Leics to London today.
Set off 100% SOC
Got to outskirts and decided to rapid charge for return journey.
Gridserve rejected by the car, charge would not start. Contacted help line, but unable to resolve. Continued journey and tried again in London, Gridserve, BP, still no joy.
Called engineer out from insurance, he disconnected 12v battery and restarted the car, still didn’t work.
Eventually plugged my standard non rapid lead in, and got it working 3.2 kw!
Very long wait but got sufficient charge to complete my home journey.
After I’d charged it and before I continued, I tried the rapid again, but still no joy.
Zappi was okay when I got home, so just unable to rapid charge!!
Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?the car rejected any rapid I plugged in to it, and I tried them all today Gridserve, BP, Apple green, ionity. ????
MG beware, I’ll be giving you some grief tomorrow.
Was the car still fully on when you connected the chargers? I have found I need to power off to get them to not get an error code when connecting

Have you used a rapid charger before? I seem to remember some owner's needed a software update to sort out this problem.

Was the car still fully on when you connected the chargers? I have found I need to power off to get them to not get an error code when connecting
I’m the past when I’ve rapid charged, I’ve connected with the car unlocked. But this time I tried lots of options, checked windows closed, locked the car( after first opening charge flap). The service engineer went through different modes too, including disconnect the 12v battery and restarting the car. Thought that might clear the issue, but didn’t work.

Have you used a rapid charger before? I seem to remember some owner's needed a software update to sort out this problem.
Yes, I went to Scotland earlier this year, so did quite a few rapids that week with mixed results, had to ring Applegreen to initiate a charge at 1 station, but it did work.
Incidentally on yesterdays episode, after I’d tried about 3 charges at the same charger it stopped accepting my debit card, I guess the bank blocked it! That didn’t help matters, luckily I wasn’t alone so had to use my wife’s card.
It was definitely the car causing the problem.

Had the same problem, it was after some updates and then had to update again (warranty) on the EVCC, then worked ok, a problem with the communication. See CCS Charger link

I had this and I found that for some reason, the car ain't that bright. Get the app for the charging company. Install it and connect the car up. Open the app up you've installed and input what it asks for. Wait for the lock noise on the cable and leave it to it. I find opening the ismart app or telling it to charge from the car totally confused it, to the point it's quite dumb. Had it in Norfolk with two fast chargers, one at Costa - Kings Lynn, and Morrisons - Cromer. It worked fine on a pod charge but just fast charge and I thought the car was faulty. It isn't, it's just the software.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back