Rapid Charger connects but fails to charge. It communicates to the extent that it can report the MG5 SOC but disconnects before charging. Seen this ?

Dundronin

Standard Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
When connected to Rapid Chargers I frequently find that the charger can communicate with the MG5 to the extent that it can report the EV's State Of Charge but disconnects before providing any charging power. I have now experienced this with a number of charge suppliers where the customer following me has been able to use the charger without difficulty. Have other MG EV drivers experienced this problem or is it just my 2021 model?

Attachments

• PXL_20230906_145146330.jpg
    PXL_20230906_145146330.jpg
    601.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Solution
On Gridserve at Chievely. Failed to charge with the vehicle unlocked. I locked the car and authorised contactless again and it worked. While charging I met another MG5 driver who has also had many problems Rapid charging. He has had a conversation with an MG representative who admitted that these charging problems are widespread.
PXL_20231005_121900992.jpg
I have had this happen twice on my MGZS. Both after I had previously charged to 100% at home, and left on the charger for an extended period of time. Both occasions I needed to disconnect the battery for a few minutes before I could get the car to charge again.

Upvote 0
Having done a long journey away from home and being unable to Rapid charge ones EV puts one in a difficult spot. The Rapid charger does not provide any concise details of why it has failed to charge the EV that can be communicated to the garage.
In order to have the problem investigated I visited the local MG garage but they did not have anyone available except via an appointment that needs to be booked weeks ahead. They said they were unlikely to carry any of the necessary parts without ordering them in. To their credit they offered me the use of their slow charger even overnight when I requested.
They recommend that I contacted the MG Roadside Assistance (AA) on 0800 0723338 from a location away from their premises. They said That I should be able to arrange the recovery of the vehicle and arrange a courtesy vehicle !
I rang my local garage who said that they did not have space for the vehicle even if I arranged to have the vehicle recovered and would have to wait weeks before anyone could look at it.
Fortunately after trying half a dozen Rapid chargers one eventually worked so I could go home. Reliability leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When connected to Fast Chargers I frequently find that the charger can communicate with the MG5 to the extent that it can report the EV's State Of Charge but disconnects before providing any charging power. I have now experienced this with a number of charge suppliers where the customer following me has been able to use the charger without difficulty. Have other MG EV drivers experienced this problem or is it just my 2022 model?
Do you mean Rapid charger - CCS. ?
How quickly/slowly are you going through the process of initiating the charge ?

Upvote 0
Do you mean Rapid charger - CCS. ?
How quickly/slowly are you going through the process of initiating the charge ?
The photo shows the Rapid charger gave up after 33 seconds. With competently written and evaluated software the speed or otherwise of human interaction and data entry should not be a material factor. Error diagnosis, dialogue and reporting is essential to developing reliable systems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry for my lack of precision. I am describing using Rapid : CCS ( Max DC rate 80kW) charging not Fast : Type 2 CCS (up to 6.6kW AC 1 phase on MG5).

Instavolt offer the following advice -

With regard to the issue you experienced, from our back-office system the charger appears to be working, as there have been numerous successful charges since your visit. Having further investigated the error code reported on our back-office system at the time of your visit, it would suggest a communication error between the car and the charging point, but we will continue to monitor the site closely. We are aware of instances with MG vehicles and our BYD model of chargers where the charging session begins but the vehicle ends the session before electricity can be dispensed. In these instances, the below steps are often successful in facilitating communication between the vehicle and charger:

-Make sure the vehicle is turned off
-Lock the vehicle
-Authorise the charging session (whether with the App, a credit/debit card, or an RFID card)
-Unlock the vehicle
-Plug in the charging cable immediately after unlocking the vehicle

We apologise again for the inconvenience and if you have any further concerns, or if the issue reoccurs, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind Regards,
Sammy
Customer Service Team

InstaVolt

www.instavolt.com

Disappointing that Instavolt and MG UK does not want SAIC Motor Corporation Limited to sort this out with BYD - Despite what Instavolt says MG UK says
Thank you for getting in touch with MG motor!

In this instance you would need to contact your local MG dealership who will be able to assist further.

You can search for your nearest dealership on mg.co.uk using the “find a dealer” tool on the top right of the webpage.

Thanks again for contacting us.

This email address is not monitored. Should you need to contact us further please email. [email protected]

Kind regards,
MG Customer Service

Direct Line: +44 (0)1216 550373

E-mail: [email protected]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a 2021MG5 LR and touching wood as I say this I have not experienced the problems you are having. Gridserve occasionally has proved difficult but generally okay and as far as Instavolt goes I've never had any problems.
I think MG coming up with charging problem solutions would be rarer than rocking horse s--t.

Upvote 0
Disappointing that Instavolt and MG UK does not want SAIC Motor Corporation Limited to sort this out with BYD - Despite what Instavolt says MG UK says
Thank you for getting in touch with MG motor!

In this instance you would need to contact your local MG dealership who will be able to assist further.

You can search for your nearest dealership on mg.co.uk using the “find a dealer” tool on the top right of the webpage.

Thanks again for contacting us.

This email address is not monitored. Should you need to contact us further please email. [email protected]

Kind regards,
MG Customer Service

Direct Line: +44 (0)1216 550373

E-mail: [email protected]
It has nothing to do with MG really except that their comms protocol is poor. Instavolt need to get BYD or their supplier to upgrade the firmware in their chargers.
It would not hurt you to get your dealer to check the car over though, there have been a couple of firmware updates for the MG, one of which might help you.

Upvote 0
When connected to Rapid Chargers I frequently find that the charger can communicate with the MG5 to the extent that it can report the EV's State Of Charge but disconnects before providing any charging power. I have now experienced this with a number of charge suppliers where the customer following me has been able to use the charger without difficulty. Have other MG EV drivers experienced this problem or is it just my 2021 model?
I had this problem on my first foray into public charging. I was trying to use one of the MFG EV Power 150kW chargers at Robin Hood North Service Station in Raynes Park. I returned the following day and got it to work when, by chance, I had turned the car off - as Instavolt suggested to you - but I hadn't locked the car also. I found that my Electroverse app had duly recorded the time and place of each failed attempt, showing a 'charge' of 0.00kWh.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response. Well done Electroverse app for at least logging a failed charge. All they need now is error identifications for diagnostics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Subject: Fwd: Your Enquiry To MG Taunton - "Ask the Experts” service.
Date:
15 September 2023 at 11:49:15 BST

Howards MG Taunton
Unit 2, Priorswood Road
Taunton, TA2 8DN

As you know I have been trying to establish dialogue through Howard's MG Taunton "Ask the Experts” service.

MG Car Dealership In Taunton: MG Garage Near Me
"A member of the team will be in touch shortly”

Date: 7 September 2023 at 15:32:01 BST
To: [email protected]

I am having some reliability issues when trying to Rapid Charge my MG5 described here.

Can you offer any advice ?
Can I arrange to have the problem investigated and resolved by Howards soon as the EV is not reliable enough to do long distance journeys because of this problem ?

MG5 Long Range 2021 model ?
Subject: Message from Howards Online Team
Date:
7 September 2023 at 15:36:13 BST

Thank you for your enquiry, I have forwarded this over to the appropriate department.

Kind regards

Howards Online Team

Begin forwarded message:
Subject: Your Enquiry To MG Taunton
Date:
7 September 2023 at 15:17:13 BST

email_header.png
Hello
Thank you for contacting Howards Motor Group.
We've received your enquiry about the located at MG Taunton.
A member of the team will be in touch shortly.
Kind regards
Howards Motor Group

open.php
An appointment has been made for the problem to be investigated after 4 weeks from initial contact.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On Gridserve at Chievely. Failed to charge with the vehicle unlocked. I locked the car and authorised contactless again and it worked. While charging I met another MG5 driver who has also had many problems Rapid charging. He has had a conversation with an MG representative who admitted that these charging problems are widespread.
PXL_20231005_121900992.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231005_121850526.jpg
    PXL_20231005_121850526.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 78
  • PXL_20231005_121854546.jpg
    PXL_20231005_121854546.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20231005_121911536.jpg
    PXL_20231005_121911536.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 84
  • PXL_20231005_123541709.jpg
    PXL_20231005_123541709.jpg
    821.5 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 0
Solution
On Gridserve at Chievely. Failed to charge with the vehicle unlocked. I locked the car and authorised contactless again and it worked. While charging I met another MG5 driver who has also had many problems Rapid charging. He has had a conversation with an MG representative who admitted that these charging problems are widespread.View attachment 20574
MG should get it sorted as they are fully aware of these problems.

Upvote 0
There is definitely something odd about this. Many owners, myself included touch wood, have no problems rapid charging anywhere so far (apart from the known issue with Tesla SC). Whereas others do have problems. A hardware problem would seem unlikely so it can only be down to either software or user error. I would probably eliminate user error as there so many reporting problems, particularly with Gridserve.
or reference, mine is a Jan 22 reg, so really a 2021 car LR Exclusive. Are the issues with newer cars ? Are there updates I have had that solve the problem or not had that are causing the problem ?
I have charged on Instavolt, Osprey, Gridserve, Geniepoint (yes I found a working one :) ) and Shell, even an old ChargeYourcar (BP), each more than once.

Upvote 0
There is definitely something odd about this. Many owners, myself included touch wood, have no problems rapid charging anywhere so far (apart from the known issue with Tesla SC). Whereas others do have problems. A hardware problem would seem unlikely so it can only be down to either software or user error. I would probably eliminate user error as there so many reporting problems, particularly with Gridserve.
or reference, mine is a Jan 22 reg, so really a 2021 car LR Exclusive. Are the issues with newer cars ? Are there updates I have had that solve the problem or not had that are causing the problem ?
I have charged on Instavolt, Osprey, Gridserve, Geniepoint (yes I found a working one :) ) and Shell, even an old ChargeYourcar (BP), each more than once.
I have a 2021 LR Exclusive and also touching wood have not encountered many problems. But when I read and hear of Mg's having charging problems it does make me a bit anxious when I do rapid charge.

Upvote 0
I have a 2021 LR Exclusive and also touching wood have not encountered many problems. But when I read and hear of Mg's having charging problems it does make me a bit anxious when I do rapid charge.
You can only go with your own experiences.

Upvote 0
I had an issue recently at an MFG fast charger outside Plymouth where it was not connecting so just ending the session before any charging. I called up and they suggested when inserting the charger tilt it up as you insert it so the top connections make a good earth...this did the trick, not sure if this would be related to other issues. Chap suggested this helps especially when it's been wet and potentially any moisture about. I did notice after this that we had a bit of water sitting in the car ports.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom