Re-fitting the rear seat.

Rolfe

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I suppose I should find the thread where this started, about interior trim, but this is a very specific question.

HOW DO YOU GET THE BACK SEAT (the part you sit on) BACK IN AFTER REMOVING IT?

Lots of people have put seat covers on, and to do this you have to get the seat off its moorings. Nobody has reported any problems or odd tricks to this, but I'm stymied.

I saw two videos about removing the seat to put seat covers on, and it seemed to be simple, but I couldn't do it and neither could my (larger, stronger) neighbour. In the end I asked my dealer to do it while the car was in for something else. They duly obliged, and I managed to fit the seat cover without any trouble.

Now I can't get it back on.

I took it to my local garage and begged nicely, but Andrew there couldn't do it either. He pointed out that it wasn't just that the two clips at the front had to be engaged with the bodywork, but that there were a couple of hooks further back that had to hook over sort of stiff wire eyelets on the bottom of the seat. He couldn't get the seat far enough back for these hooks to engage. He speculated that the material of the seat covers was too thick to allow this to be done. However I don't think he's right, partly because the distance between the hooks and the eyelet things was to great for this to be plausible, which suggested there was a trick we were both missing, and partly because nobody here has reported having had difficulty getting the seat refitted. Also, in the Dutch video showing the fitting of the seat covers, it's something he just skips over as if it's a nothing, and the seat is back in place.

So could people who have successfully fitted back seat covers tell me how they got that back seat back in place? (Or do I have to crawl back to the dealer and admit defeat?)

No - I don't do Facebook. I know there are several people on the forum who have fitted similar seat covers, so they must have done this. Just hoping one of them reads this thread!

I can always ask the dealer to do it, but they're over 20 miles away.

No - I don't do Facebook. I know there are several people on the forum who have fitted similar seat covers, so they must have done this. Just hoping one of them reads this thread!

I can always ask the dealer to do it, but they're over 20 miles away.
If you can find their posts using the search function you could try messaging them directly.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back