Real Cost of Motorway Charging

Whereas petrol and diesel is dirt cheap at Motorway Service stations. As it’s the Daily Express, I wouldn’t trust them to get the day and date right 😀
If this article was in your copy of The Sun you would be drooling over it.

The Kona will easily achieve 4 miles / kWh. At 55p/kWh that makes it 13.75p/mile.

At a motorway services (where they chose to charge the car), it would cost £9/gallon. At say 50mpg, that works out at 18p/mile.

Electric car charging is getting expensive, it will get more expensive. The government has to raise the equivalent Fuel Duty lost when going from an ICE to a BEV. This would need something close to £0.22/kWh.

It will be many years before the secondhand EV market can provide reasonably priced EVs that all can afford. ICE will be around for decades yet.

The number of times that you will have to charge at a rapid charger for me will be very infrequent The vast majority will be done at home using off peak tariff and solar so that's 7.5p a kWh or free.

The number of times that you will have to charge at a rapid charger for me will be very infrequent The vast majority will be done at home using off peak tariff and solar so that's 7.5p a kWh or free.

The government will be devising a method to get its 22p/kWh from all home chargers, hence the reason for declaring that ALL new chargers MUST be Smart. There may be ways around it with solar panels and maybe using Granny Chargers, but the Government will gets its cut.

Over 30% of car owners have to park on the street and have no chance of charging at home.

The government don't have to do anything with the chargers, they will just make EVs pay "road tax". Our first Yaris was free but the second identical car was £147.

Service stations are ALWAYS going to be expensive for EVERYTHING. They own a monopoly on the convenience... you are there, buying something because you simply HAVE to... I no longer stop at service stations because I find everything overpriced... I factor into my long journeys a slight detour into a city/town just off the motorway for feeding and watering of myself, which now will incorporate the use of a rapid charger in a retail park or similar instead...

The government don't have to do anything with the chargers, they will just make EVs pay "road tax". Our first Yaris was free but the second identical car was £147.

You obviously don’t understand what I am trying to say.

The Government has everything to do with charging your EV. Why do you think they are demanding that all EV chargers fitted at home have SMART capability so they can monitor how much power they are supplying to your car. They also will be able to control when you can charge your car because the GRID cannot copy with everyone charging at the same time.

Every ltr of fuel sold gets the government 52p in duty (will go back to 57p). This has nothing to do with road “tax”, which is a separate source of Government income.

The 52p / ltr will have to come from the “fuel” you put into your electric car. As such, they will looking at around 22p/kWh.

I really think the Government has not thought this through.

You obviously don’t understand what I am trying to say.

The Government has everything to do with charging your EV. Why do you think they are demanding that all EV chargers fitted at home have SMART capability so they can monitor how much power they are supplying to your car. They also will be able to control when you can charge your car because the GRID cannot copy with everyone charging at the same time.

Every ltr of fuel sold gets the government 52p in duty (will go back to 57p). This has nothing to do with road “tax”, which is a separate source of Government income.

The 52p / ltr will have to come from the “fuel” you put into your electric car. As such, they will looking at around 22p/kWh.

I really think the Government has not thought this through.
One way to solve this... everyone reverts to using the 3-pin granny charger at home... they have no idea about that as it will just look like any other device powered from your house...

I really wish people would stop with the conspiracy theories around home chargers and also the myth that there is not enough capacity in the grid to charge all peoples EVs as I can assure you that there is.

I will however agree with you somewhat on your statement "the government has not thought this through" you would be right there in some aspects... they have thought it through, but not in the depth or detail that they needed to. For example, the government have only recently released their EV Infrastructure strategy... something that should have come out years ago.

Have a read of that before you jump to conclusions.

Have a read of that before you jump to conclusions.
The problem is the document is effectively a wish list on many points but written as if much of it is already done deal which is far from true.

From the linked document

"Fairly priced and inclusively designed public charging is open to all – there will be vibrant competition across the charging sector with choice in provider and type of charging, and open data on pricing and availability"

At the moment this is far from true. The high speed chargers are almost running as a cartel with limited choice at individual stations ant what appear to be restrictive practices on pricing with no operator undercutting to force prices down.

The problem is the document is effectively a wish list on many points but written as if much of it is already done deal which is far from true.

From the linked document

"Fairly priced and inclusively designed public charging is open to all – there will be vibrant competition across the charging sector with choice in provider and type of charging, and open data on pricing and availability"

At the moment this is far from true. The high speed chargers are almost running as a cartel with limited choice at individual stations ant what appear to be restrictive practices on pricing with no operator undercutting to force prices down.
Your comments make it sound very similar to petrol stations. Not many Shell pumps at BP garages etc.. and only the supermarkets marginally cheaper than the big players.

There are differences in prices between charging companies, e.g. 69p Ionity, less than 50p Gridserve, and Geniepoint, 57p Instavolt etc. etc.... and at least, as far as I'm aware, the electron price for each provider is the same on the motorway as it is in a council or fast food joint car park, unlike the liquid fossil fuel suppliers that fleece us on the m'way or if we happen to live in the countryside.
:)

Very true but does that still really represent "vibrant competition" especially with the lack of such competition with a short distance of each other. You could probably pass 2 or 3 petrol stations getting to the next charge point, even more annoying if the reason for the hop onwards being for equipment failure rather than price as is frequently the case.

If one petrol can serve 10 customers an hour are we likely to see 20 charge points to allow for 20 1 hour charges equating to 2 pumps. Many stations have double digit pumps on their forecourt which fail with commendable rarity.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom