Real Cost Per Mile Of EV Driving

I had a SEAT Altea XL MPV DSG auto with the same engine and that never dropped below
I had a SEAT Altea XL MPV DSG auto with the same engine and that never dropped below 36mpg anywhere and much more, over 50mpg touring. Yours really does sound as if it needs attention. How old is it?

Only available for a limited number of charger and EV makes, so not for everybody.
so at 36mpg what's your cost per mile?

Your profile says you are from Alfreton - London driving is a different animal.

I think that's worth repeating :)

I agree EVs are expensive, but has anyone looked at the price of new run of the mill ICE vehicles ?

Ford Puma between 25k and 35k...makes the MG4 look cheap.
And still a years waiting list for the puma.

EVs are still cheaper when you factor 8n servicing costs. And depreciation is no worse than ice. And the way the environment is going the taxes on oil burners can only go one way. Governments can bury their heads in the sand, and continue to accept bribes from oil companies, but sooner or later your nice shiny new petrol/diesel will be worth nothing.
Keep in mind that Daddy loves its sugar and guess who they are coming for once they’ve extorted every ounce of blood out of ICE car owners. Yes, you my good man!

Keep in mind that Daddy loves its sugar and guess who they are coming for once they’ve extorted every ounce of blood out of ICE car owners. Yes, you my good man!
As one of daddy's little children as you put it, I'm quite happy at the back of the queue watching the extraction (not extortion - completely wrong meaning) of blood from the fossil burners. Our time will come, we have all known that from the beginning, but enjoying the view for now. :)

Yes, it’s always fun watching others being humped by The Man until it’s your turn to be humped 😂😂

But by then everyone will just point and laugh and say you deserved it 😂

Yes, it’s always fun watching others being humped by The Man until it’s your turn to be humped 😂😂

But by then everyone will just point and laugh and say you deserved it 😂
We children were not born driving EV's believe it or not, we have had our turn at being 'humped' already. We are merely taking a short break for now before humping resumes.
Maybe there are some out there jealous of our short respite.

I agree diesels have come on a lot for economy but my last ICE vehicle was a diesel Toyota Avensis, one of the best and most reliable cars I have ever owned. Around town which was most of my usage consumption was 30 mpg if I was lucky. On a run 50mpg.
Is 50mpg a fair comparison figure for a modern diesel family car these day in average usage ? Is that what they achieve nowadays around town ?
I drove a brand new skoda diesel (brand new) for 6 years before changing to a MG4 this year. It was super reliable but I got similar to these mpg stats.

Around town for me is congested London driving.

Octopus intelligent and OVO both do one that is slightly cheaper but only available with certain chargers and certain limited cars. Unfortunately doesn't apply to my MG ZS or to my BP Pulse charger.

I have run auto diesels for 15 years 1.6 2.0 and 3.0 turbo diesels. In my mainly light urban use overall 1.6 and 2.0 would do around 40mpg and the 3.0 35mpg. All would improve by 10 or more mpg in touring type use. BTW the Mercedes 1.6 claimed an average of 75 mpg! A complete con and joke.
I think location plays a big factor. I don't think you could get 40mpg in a 2.0 diesel driving in and around London daily (talking from 10 years of London diesel driving experience).

Many people have now switched from diesel to petrol since it was demonised. The petrol vehicles that replaced them generally get even less mpg, especially around town.

Many people have now switched from diesel to petrol since it was demonised. The petrol vehicles that replaced them generally get even less mpg, especially around town.
The newer petrol (E10/E15) is also worse for economy and more expensive as ethanol is significantly less energy dense and more expensive per litre.

I can’t help thinking that more petrol cars using more petrol compared to diesels being more frugal and using less fuel must be a close call on pollution. I guess it’s all about the particulates that diesel produces?

My 1st EV, a LEAF 30kw cost 3.9p/mile on a normal tariff but plenty of free public charging over 28,300 miles.

My 2nd LEAF 40kw cost 1p/mile with solar, plenty of free charging and a lot more paid public charging over 23,000 miles.

My MG5 is currently at 3p/mile with solar, higher tariffs and lots more high cost public charging over 15,000 miles

MG4 is still at 0p/mile

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom