Real World Energy Consumption

Driver16

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Using the iSmart app, "Wilsons MG" at Epsom is my nearest MG dealer. Anyone has experience with them? Are they on top of all the MG4 issues and are helpful?
I tried Wilsons at Epsom. Filled in an online request for service appointment because of the problems with MG4. No reply. I emailed the business manager [email protected]. No response. I charged my MG4 and it showed Battery state 98% estomated range 141 miles. Rather than 218 miles advertised MG /Saic motors.

What can I do to get MG euorpe, MG UK, MG dealer to take my car in under 7 year warranty after 7 weeks of purchase of MG4.

Is the MG /Saic Motor's 7 year warranty not fit for the purpose?
BTW CEO at MG.eu, xinyu.liu also has not replied.

Hang on - you think an SE SR will get the WLTP figure of 218 miles in these sub-zero temperatures? Really?

Do you think a petrol/diesel car gets the manufacturer MPG figures? (Often they won't ever achieve them - in sub-zero temperatures the MPG can drop off a cliff).

I think you need to either recalibrate your expectations, or an EV is fundamentally not for you.

I tried Wilsons at Epsom. Filled in an online request for service appointment because of the problems with MG4. No reply. I emailed the business manager [email protected]. No response. I charged my MG4 and it showed Battery state 98% estomated range 141 miles. Rather than 218 miles advertised MG /Saic motors.

What can I do to get MG euorpe, MG UK, MG dealer to take my car in under 7 year warranty after 7 weeks of purchase of MG4.

Is the MG /Saic Motor's 7 year warranty not fit for the purpose?
BTW CEO at MG.eu, xinyu.liu also has not replied.
I called the service department sometime ago and have booked my car in for january (earliest time they had). Do that. 020 3993 4440
As far as 98% and 141 miles. I wouldn't worry. I assume your miles/kwh so far is low (somewhere around 2.8 miles/kwh) if that is correct then don't worry this is the car guessing based on your driving so far. Electric cars are not efficient if driven short distances ( no idea why). Also it's cold. for you to see 218 or better on a full charge your miles/kwh needs to be around 4.3. Mine is 3.2 for total driven miles of 800

I called the service department sometime ago and have booked my car in for january (earliest time they had). Do that. 020 3993 4440
As far as 98% and 141 miles. I wouldn't worry. I assume your miles/kwh so far is low (somewhere around 2.8 miles/kwh) if that is correct then don't worry this is the car guessing based on your driving so far. Electric cars are not efficient if driven short distances ( no idea why). Also it's cold. for you to see 218 or better on a full charge your miles/kwh needs to be around 4.3. Mine is 3.2 for total driven miles of 800
Thank you for your helpful reply fshuk1 .
MG does not seem to want to know.
A bit of customer service would go a long way.
MG advert did not say that performance drops during winter and low temperatures.
Nor that problems are solved not by MG but by MG customers through blogs.

You'll get some good data from ev-database:

They envisage a real world range of 130-275 miles.

I'm getting the same predicted mileage cos it's bloody freezing. Not a problem.
Why was my message hidden & moved about 50% reduction in MG4 mileage???
when this problem refers specifically to MG4 ???
Since the warm weather the mileage remains 50% below the advertsied. Please explain.
In any case it does not matter what kind of car or temperature.
It should not reduce by 50% and remain at this low level
when the temp goe to 10C and above. .
Remember the class action cases against diesel mileage 'estimates' which were
fixed by the manufacturers.

Since the warm weather the mileage remains 50% below the advertsied. Please explain.
It's not just an MG 4 problem, it's every EV, it also looks like the battery in the SR suffers a bit more in the cold.
As Alb posted above the figures on EV database are pretty accurate

Real Range Estimation
between 130 - 275 mi

City - Cold Weather *180 mi
Highway - Cold Weather *130 mi
Combined - Cold Weather *155 mi

City - Mild Weather *275 mi
Highway - Mild Weather *170 mi
Combined - Mild Weather *215 mi.

You said your getting 141 so that's in the figures stated.
Have you reset your efficiency figures since the cold weather?
There is a really big thread on the range people are getting

We have a trophy and when we charge to 80% it shows 186 miles but these figure are only a guide. When I drive the car I get between 3.0 and 4.9 but when wife drives she gets 2.0 to 2.6
Varies greatly between driving style, weather and every other possible scenario. My other ice car is quoted to do 23mpg but I get 9mpg around town.

Who says it shouldn’t reduce by 50% in the cold weather? Mine’s the same. 100% charge this morning and estimated range was 148 miles. This is the case with all EVs due to battery temp and conditions.

Surely you’ve noticed that other cars don’t achieve the advertised mpg all the time? It’s the same thing.

You’ll most likely find that any adverts will say up to 218 miles range so if you’re thinking you can take action against the manufacturer for misleading you then you are wrong.

Driver16: as others have mentioned, achieved range is a function of many factors, mostly covered earlier in this thread (and other range thread(s)). While understanding the source of your annoyance, try to bear in mind:
(i) Most current (sorry) battery chemistries perform less well as ambient temperatures decline below around 15 deg C and approach zero deg C. To avoid sha99ing the battery at zero or sub-zero temperatures, either
(a) control circuitry limits available power,
or
(b) the battery will supply energy to a battery system heater so 'self-heating' towards optimal chem temp. (Most current ev's - Leaf's excepted - do this.) I believe the mg4 does the latter - obviously the former would be 'exciting' on a m-way slip...
(ii) Your mg4 has a battery heating function; if you can use this while plugged-in and prior to departure, you 'start' with a warm battery hence don't lose range. This uses very approximately 1 to 2kWh (3.5 - 7MJ) of energy, which either comes from your battery or the 'mains'. If you drive mostly short-ish (say < 20 miles) distances with several hours wait between journeys, you'll see the 'hit' in you range predictions.
(iii) LFP chemistry has comparatively very good performance at elevated temperatures, but suffers increasing losses as temps reduce below -5 deg C: the battery heating uses much more energy so clobbering the available range further - unless you plug it in...

Not preaching - you have a good point about misleading promo stuff, as the cold-weather performance is usually only mentioned in the footnotes, - but as Leni, Goldie et al have written, ice cars are just as bad and their efficiency does a monster dive at sub-zero deg C or less.
I guess the reason that most popular chemistries are optimised in the 290-300K region (17-27 deg C) is 'cause that's the region of Earths surface temperature where humans mostly (like to) operate.
[Also see Arrhenius equation; Arrhenius equation - Wikipedia ]
atb - ttp

Full charge this morning on a MG4 SE SR after 476 miles mixture of local, rural and motorway driving. Temp at 22C fan on auto and driven in normal with regen 3.

Had the car since 16th Dec, had some updates yesterday and the mi/kWh read out updates more often and appears more optimistic than the big standard 2.0mi/kWh I got previously when setting off.
1000003043.jpg

Full charge this morning on a MG4 SE SR after 476 miles mixture of local, rural and motorway driving. Temp at 22C fan on auto and driven in normal with regen 3.

Had the car since 16th Dec, had some updates yesterday and the mi/kWh read out updates more often and appears more optimistic than the big standard 2.0mi/kWh I got previously when setting off.
View attachment 14423
How did you manage that? What’s the temperature like where you are?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 514 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back