Rear 2number plate option

I certainly would have preferred this to mine but dont want to change it now...I can live with it as it is

Plate shape looks nice but I'm not a fan of the green bar, personal thing I know. I don't find it terrible it just doesn't seem to fit in with the design of the plate.

I’ve found a online UK number plate supplier who will supply this size plate which enables you to remove the black plastic bar under the rear number plate and replace it with this size. I think it looks tidy!View attachment 1909View attachment 1912
That looks absolutely custom made for the job. I was trying to find just that this afternoon.

A friend of mine has just had a new MG5 and the car looks great except the rear number plate with the black plastic blank underneath, it spoils an otherwise perfectly turned out car.

I will also be getting one next year or when the EU spec version turns up as well, and if they haven't changed the back then will do the same.

I will let him know about this, thank you.

That looks absolutely custom made for the job. I was trying to find just that this afternoon.

A friend of mine has just had a new MG5 and the car looks great except the rear number plate with the black plastic blank underneath, it spoils an otherwise perfectly turned out car.

I will also be getting one next year or when the EU spec version turns up as well, and if they haven't changed the back then will do the same.

I will let him know about this, thank you.
That’s the same plate I got looks great when fitted

I think the best solution to this issue is to remove the badly placed badging and install a new set where it should have been in the first place. You can then just use a standard plate surround dropped a little lower, keeping the centre line correct as there is now no cluttered badging to dodge!

Example:

438dc4783cf7497488a31525353c0467.jpg

I think the best solution to this issue is to remove the badly placed badging and install a new set where it should have been in the first place. You can then just use a standard plate surround dropped a little lower, keeping the centre line correct as there is now no cluttered badging to dodge!

Example:

View attachment 3235
I was concerned there maybe holes under the badges, so I dismissed this. Is the photo a mock up or actually been done?

I don't recall any car having badges with holes under them since the late 80s/early 90s, they're all stuck on. :unsure:

Example:

View attachment 3235
Did Steads do it for you or did you DIY ?

I was concerned there maybe holes under the badges, so I dismissed this. Is the photo a mock up or actually been done?

There are no holes, the badges are just stuck on, warm them with a hairdryer, and gently slide a thin plastic card or similar under the edge of each badge to get a start and you can just pull them off. clean up the residue with white spirit.

Did Steads do it for you or did you DIY ?
It's not my car, it's just photoshopped to show a solution to the problem. The awful, bunched up, badging the cars come with is easily removed and a new set can then be applied where they should have been put in the first place, or you can leave it unbadged if you prefer.

I've got a ZS, but if I had the 5 I'd be DIYing this as I'd not trust any dealer to be able to get the new badges on straight, or even get the old ones off without paint damage for that matter!

Thanks to this thread, I’ve got rid of the plastic trim which spoils the back end
AB07A5A2-4745-4AF4-9DE8-CE2413606551.jpeg
Plus the dealer didn’t put the green strip on the original plates!
So ordered them from the company at the start of this thread

I think the chances of picking up the original fixing points are almost impossible to achieve.
I would favour a GOOD quality double sided tape, it would much better than having fixings through the plate face anyway.
I am a little "Unsold" on the bigger back ground myself.
The letters and numbers have to comply with the law and therefore the balance of all that yellow surround can look a little out of proportion with the black numbers ????.
Hey ............. What do I know !.
If it rocks your boat, then go for it !.
What about going for the "Gel" numbers ?.
I have them on my car and I am always being asked :-
"Where did you get your number plates from mate ?".
Have the DVLA now banned 3 and 4 D plates as cameras have a problem picking them up and.. are they the same as "Gel" plates - just asking...

Bit of noob question. How to you remove the existing plate?

Since mine doesn't have any screw-holes, I take it I just gently peel it off or is there a technique?

Bit of noob question. How to you remove the existing plate?

Since mine doesn't have any screw-holes, I take it I just gently peel it off or is there a technique?

It should stuck on with adhesive tape, but they should also be screwed on, so like you said just gently peel to old plate off.
When you peel it off there are four raised fixing points with m6 captive nuts in the boot lid.
You need the plastic bolts as on mine or stainless m6 bolts then a correctly coloured caps.

IMG_20210608_145459.jpg
This is how mine came direct from the dealer. The plate just has an extra black area with the dealers details rather than a plastic surround.

View attachment 3498This is how mine came direct from the dealer. The plate just has an extra black area with the dealers details rather than a plastic surround.
They must have drilled holes in your boot lid rather than use the mounting points made during manufacture. I personally would be annoyed at that as I intend to keep my car long term. Let’s hope they rustproofed their work although as they didn’t bother to use colour screw caps that seems unlikely

They must have drilled holes in your boot lid rather than use the mounting points made during manufacture. I personally would be annoyed at that as I intend to keep my car long term. Let’s hope they rustproofed their work although as they didn’t bother to use colour screw caps that seems unlik
Might check it out later.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom