Rear boot bike rack?

AdamMGEV

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Can anyone help? I'm looking to get a rear bike rack for my MG5. Need space in the boot for the kids, too heavy to lift on the roof bars, so need a rear boot rack. As with most things MG5 EV doesn't show on any websites with compatible accessories... so what car would be as close to the MG5 EV so I can put that car in and find one?

I was thinking of this one as its got good reviews and seems the most flexible at a good cost especially in Go Outdoors

Unlikely to find anything suitable for a number of reasons :
1) Spoiler lip protrudes a lot so top of mount would be pressing directly on the glass... not a great idea.
2) Boot 'doors' are not necessarily designed to take loading on ANY car - despite so many aftermarket racks out there, anyone who uses one is doing so outside of manufactures design rating i.e. at there own risk.
3) If your bike is too heavy to lift on to a roof mounted rack, do you really want it pressing on the glass?

There has been mention else where of a company that make non-tow rated ball hitches.... maybe that and a hitch mounted system would be a better (though more expensive) option?

Unlikely to find anything suitable for a number of reasons :
1) Spoiler lip protrudes a lot so top of mount would be pressing directly on the glass... not a great idea.
2) Boot 'doors' are not necessarily designed to take loading on ANY car - despite so many aftermarket racks out there, anyone who uses one is doing so outside of manufactures design rating i.e. at there own risk.
3) If your bike is too heavy to lift on to a roof mounted rack, do you really want it pressing on the glass?

There has been mention else where of a company that make non-tow rated ball hitches.... maybe that and a hitch mounted system would be a better (though more expensive) option?
I've asked a company and they said any bars would need to go through MG, MG said its not recommended and it's up to the company and me. So that's a no.

I figure if people mount 3 bikes 15kg each to a Saris Bones 3 which would be 45kg... surely I can out 1 20kg bike on it.

The new EX version is meant to get around the spoiler issues and tbh the MG5 has a very small spoiler if any. So I'm going to see if the normal one fits and if not maybe get the EX version.

If that doesn't work I'll have to only transport it when I have no kids in the car.

I've asked a company and they said any bars would need to go through MG, MG said its not recommended and it's up to the company and me. So that's a no.

I figure if people mount 3 bikes 15kg each to a Saris Bones 3 which would be 45kg... surely I can out 1 20kg bike on it.

The new EX version is meant to get around the spoiler issues and tbh the MG5 has a very small spoiler if any. So I'm going to see if the normal one fits and if not maybe get the EX version.

If that doesn't work I'll have to only transport it when I have no kids in the car.
Have you looked at the EX? The spoiler issue that it gets around is one for a BOOTED car with a spoiler on the lip of the boot, not the spoiler that is at the TOP of the 5 boot 'door'. The straps that mount the top of the system would wrap over the spoiler on the 5 and apply pressure (mark/scratch) and I would be afraid of the pressure being applied.
Also if you read the Saris mounting recommendations they say -

• Part #3035 Hatch Hugger required to replace Lower Hooks OR place Lower Hooks inside trunk.
  • Place lower rack feet on bumper.
  • Do not open trunk with rack installed.
  • Disable/do not use rear wiper when rack is installed.
  • Upper strap should be placed over the leg.

Although the SARIS rack does conform with European standards (and can take up to 70Kg of bike weight) that does not mean it can fit to a car... only that when properly fitted to a car that has been designed to take such a loading that it complies......

If you also look at how the rack fits to a VW Passat Estate (2007) the upper feet are fitted against the glass... again I would ask if it is sensible to apply a (23Kg E-bike) load to such a system that relies on the strength of the glass ?

How about putting a roof box on a set of roof bars, put your kids stuff in the box (just keep the system weight below 35Kg), dismantle the bike and put the bike in the boot??

How about putting a roof box on a set of roof bars, put your kids stuff in the box (just keep the system weight below 35Kg), dismantle the bike and put the bike in the boot??
The bike still wouldn't fit unless the seats were down unfortunately, just tried it. I also don't fancy taking the rear wheel off each time.

Have you looked at the EX? The spoiler issue that it gets around is one for a BOOTED car with a spoiler on the lip of the boot, not the spoiler that is at the TOP of the 5 boot 'door'. The straps that mount the top of the system would wrap over the spoiler on the 5 and apply pressure (mark/scratch) and I would be afraid of the pressure being applied.
Also if you read the Saris mounting recommendations they say -

• Part #3035 Hatch Hugger required to replace Lower Hooks OR place Lower Hooks inside trunk.
  • Place lower rack feet on bumper.
  • Do not open trunk with rack installed.
  • Disable/do not use rear wiper when rack is installed.
  • Upper strap should be placed over the leg.

Although the SARIS rack does conform with European standards (and can take up to 70Kg of bike weight) that does not mean it can fit to a car... only that when properly fitted to a car that has been designed to take such a loading that it complies......

If you also look at how the rack fits to a VW Passat Estate (2007) the upper feet are fitted against the glass... again I would ask if it is sensible to apply a (23Kg E-bike) load to such a system that relies on the strength of the glass ?
I watched some videos and it said when the bike is on the pressure is applied to the bottom feet and the top feet are most likely to pull away from the glass, I think its mostly there to support balance. I tested by placing my hands on the bumper and it held my weight of 80kg no problem.

With all of the straps secured in place it technically can take a lot more than my bike weighs. As for the rubbing, this is an issue on all of them and people said put some ducktape, rubber or something between the clips rope and car to stop it rubbing when in transit.

I think ill have to just give it a go as a lot of people use them, I might need to get the EX though. I pickup the non EX version tonight so will give it a go. Fingers crossed :-/

I watched some videos and it said when the bike is on the pressure is applied to the bottom feet and the top feet are most likely to pull away from the glass, I think its mostly there to support balance. I tested by placing my hands on the bumper and it held my weight of 80kg no problem.

With all of the straps secured in place it technically can take a lot more than my bike weighs. As for the rubbing, this is an issue on all of them and people said put some ducktape, rubber or something between the clips rope and car to stop it rubbing when in transit.

I think ill have to just give it a go as a lot of people use them, I might need to get the EX though. I pickup the non EX version tonight so will give it a go. Fingers crossed :-/
I call BS on the glass not taking any weight/force. Yes under static conditions and when accelerating the rack will try to pivot away from the back of the car (assuming the COG of the bike is over or past the lower feet of the rack) but when you brake.... the load and force is FORWARD and therefore IN TO THE REAR SCREEN again pivoting around the lower feet. Equally, when fitting the rack TIGHTLY to the rear of the vehicle you will want to pull those straps TIGHT to minimise any movement..... Hmm, tension in the top straps will apply force along/through the upper legs IN TO THE REAR SCREEN. It doesn't take a genius to identify the load paths in the system. If the upper legs apply no force then why are they there??

Did you do a handstand on the bumper to apply 80Kg to the bumper 'no problem'?

I assume you will also be buying a lighting board and arranging a power/lighting feed to it to comply with the law of having a LIGHTED number plate clearly visible when driving at night?... You may also want to consider the fact that your rear brake and indicators should be clearly visible (so having a lighting board with associated brake/rear light/indicators)... yes some Police will/may let you off, but others will happily issue fixed fines.

Just because a lot of people do use these systems, doesn't make them a) safe, or b) legal. I've seen enough of these types of racks (especially SARIS BONES) badly fitted and dangerous both to the vehicle they are fitted to + other road users. I pick on SARIS because they market themselves as 'high end' and 'easy to fit', but they are very DIFFICULT TO FIT WELL.

...and finally, I would remind you that with the lower feet applying pressure directly to the bumper (as per SARIS instructions) you will need to fully remove the system to open the boot.

Striaight from the SARIS installation manual:
-All requirements for compatability/fit as stated in the current Saris vehicle/carrier compatability guide must be followed. (Available at any Saris dealer or www.saris.com). If your vehicle is not listed or you have any questions, please call our customer service at 800-783-7257 or visit www.saris.com.

And MG is not in their list.....

So ultimately if you go down this route it is all on you. No one to blame.

....also from install manual:
Do not exceed maximum load capacity of carrier (105 lbs max or 35 lbs max per bike!) Secure properly and adjust for even load distribution, loading the heaviest/biggest bike first and closest to the vehicle.

which makes your E-bike too heavy.

Well there's offering advice and helping others and then there's having a go at someone, shouting in capitals and not being very nice. You're definitely in that category. Maybe on other threads you could offer advice without sounding to obnoxious

Sorry you feel that way. Only highlighted the text from the SARIS manual to show that even they don't currently rate their racks for individual bikes exceeding 35lbs.

Capitalisation in earlier message was again to highlight the key points that many people overlook in their hope to find a simple solution/fix without themselves considering the actual facts/physics.

As you might tell I strongly dislike these types of racks that people fit to the rear of their Hatchbacks/Estates because they do not consider the loading the racks put on the windows. -Booted vehicles where the racks only contact the metal of the lid are not so bad.

I also strongly dislike the cars with these racks that hurtle along the motorway (70mph+) with no numberplate/ lighting board to comply with the law.

I am sure that if you do go down the route of using one of these you will make every effort to ensure safe fitment - and no, there is no sarcasm in that statement.

Sorry you feel that way. Only highlighted the text from the SARIS manual to show that even they don't currently rate their racks for individual bikes exceeding 35lbs.

Capitalisation in earlier message was again to highlight the key points that many people overlook in their hope to find a simple solution/fix without themselves considering the actual facts/physics.

As you might tell I strongly dislike these types of racks that people fit to the rear of their Hatchbacks/Estates because they do not consider the loading the racks put on the windows. -Booted vehicles where the racks only contact the metal of the lid are not so bad.

I also strongly dislike the cars with these racks that hurtle along the motorway (70mph+) with no numberplate/ lighting board to comply with the law.

I am sure that if you do go down the route of using one of these you will make every effort to ensure safe fitment - and no, there is no sarcasm in that statement.
Ok sorry i must have misread. After all you've said I'm not going to buy it tonight as it isn't probably safe. Such a shame as I want to take my ebike places and never thought it would be this much of a problem.

No problem, and sorry if I sounded condescending. I know too well the problems of transporting e-Bikes, all my friends with them have just bought vans because of the weight issue. And again, having worked in a body-shop where damage caused by poorly fitted racks and the customers saying 'but Halfords said.....' arrrggghhhh.

Though not of much help since you would prefer not to lift the bike up on to the roof, however the Yakima Highroad roof rack system is rated to bikes up to 20Kg... so that and some light Aluminium roof bars could/should keep you under the 35Kg rating currently suggested for the MG 5 roof rails.... especially if you take the battery out of the bike before mounting.

Though not of much help since you would prefer not to lift the bike up on to the roof, however the Yakima Highroad roof rack system is rated to bikes up to 20Kg... so that and some light Aluminium roof bars could/should keep you under the 35Kg rating currently suggested for the MG 5 roof rails.... especially if you take the battery out of the bike before mounting.
Yes that is what I was thinking initially and maybe the safest option, I could lift the bike but realistically it would be a massive struggle.

I think k this would be my best bet, the safest and legal option. Its just going to be difficult lifting 20kg up above my shoulders. A step ladder may be in order.

I think k this would be my best bet, the safest and legal option. Its just going to be difficult lifting 20kg up above my shoulders. A step ladder may be in order.

Yes, that, the Yakima HighRoad (which I have and can highly recommend) and the Thule Upride are all good racks that hold on to the wheels rather than the frame - and so much more secure and less likely to fall out of. The only drawback to the INNO is that you have to set the front/rear holders to the specific length and wheel size of your bike. Also all 3 systems don't play ice if you have (long) front mudguards.... which is why I also have a Thule ProRide when transporting bikes with mudguards.... also rated to 20Kg and the deeper hook of the new version also gives more security when mounting the bike over the old version.

Yes, that, the Yakima HighRoad (which I have and can highly recommend) and the Thule Upride are all good racks that hold on to the wheels rather than the frame - and so much more secure and less likely to fall out of. The only drawback to the INNO is that you have to set the front/rear holders to the specific length and wheel size of your bike. Also all 3 systems don't play ice if you have (long) front mudguards.... which is why I also have a Thule ProRide when transporting bikes with mudguards.... also rated to 20Kg and the deeper hook of the new version also gives more security when mounting the bike over the old version.
Hmmm ye I do have mudguards on the front and back.

The thing I like about the INNO is once you get the front wheel in you can then Manoeuvre without having to hold your bike so much. I had a practice today and can lift the 20kg bike however only for about 10 seconds, after that my arms start to go. So I need to get it up, pop the front tyre in, then have a breather. It looks like the Thule wouldn't be as supportive initially?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom