Rear-mirror USB Connector on MG ZS EV Trophy Connect

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I'm about to order a dashcam for my soon arriving MG ZS EV Trophy Connect and have some questions about the rear-mirror USB connector. I think I have read somewhere on the forum that it has enough power to attach a webcam but couldn't find that thread. Those threads that I did find are about connecting on a Gen 1 ZS or hardwiring. As it's a lease car I'm not keen on hardwiring.
So I have 3 questions that members might have the answers to.
  1. Does the rearview mirror USB support a VIOFO v119 v3 0r Garmin mini, or nextbase 622 dashcam?
  2. Is it always LIVE or does it turn off when you power off the MG?
  3. Any recommendations for short leads between the USB and camera. That's either USB A to Micro USB or USB to USB C?
I sorry if this has already been disscussed in the forum but a search returned too many responses that didn't really answer these questions. I did try honest so thanks in anticipation.

evcog

1 it should do it just a USB power supply I'm quite impressed with viofo
2 it's ignition live so not on all the time
3 I normally use supplied but plenty on Amazon or eBay some of the right-angled ones might be handy(excess cable easily tucks in the roof liner)

I have a garmin mini 2 plugged into mirror USB socket. It works fine. Live when ignition is on. Any lead does excess just goes behind trim

I'm about to order a dashcam for my soon arriving MG ZS EV Trophy Connect and have some questions about the rear-mirror USB connector. I think I have read somewhere on the forum that it has enough power to attach a webcam but couldn't find that thread. Those threads that I did find are about connecting on a Gen 1 ZS or hardwiring. As it's a lease car I'm not keen on hardwiring.
So I have 3 questions that members might have the answers to.
  1. Does the rearview mirror USB support a VIOFO v119 v3 0r Garmin mini, or nextbase 622 dashcam?
  2. Is it always LIVE or does it turn off when you power off the MG?
  3. Any recommendations for short leads between the USB and camera. That's either USB A to Micro USB or USB to USB C?
I sorry if this has already been disscussed in the forum but a search returned too many responses that didn't really answer these questions. I did try honest so thanks in anticipation.

evcog
The rear mirror connection port is meant for dashcams, so there should be no issue. I believe it is not live once ignition is turned off.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, really appreciate the info. I'm quite pleased that the USB rear mirror connector will both handle the load and turn off when the carcis off. I have lost 2 car batteries on previous cars because of drain from the dash camera.

I would be interested in both of your experience with the VIOFO and the GAMIN Mini 2. Both cameras I am considering. The A119 v3 gives marginally better picture from some of the ezamples I have seen, but youtube does a lot of compression when uploading videos that you wonder how accurate the results are. Also there are some conveniences with the GARMIN Mini. Size, voice control etc.

Whats your oppinion?

evcog (colin)

Not sure if it would effect the battery much but many of these dashcams come with ‘sentry mode’ which means they when you are parked and out the car, they switch on and record if they sense movement in the vicinity, so if someone is walking back to their car or worse towards your car they will switch on and record. If you park overnight on a street or train station car park ( thus high volume movement) it will be on and off many times but I presume it would need to be parked for days to effect anything. Just a thought.

Not sure if it would effect the battery much but many of these dashcams come with ‘sentry mode’ which means they when you are parked and out the car, they switch on and record if they sense movement in the vicinity, so if someone is walking back to their car or worse towards your car they will switch on and record. If you park overnight on a street or train station car park ( thus high volume movement) it will be on and off many times but I presume it would need to be parked for days to effect anything. Just a thought.
My previous dascams were older varieties which didn't sence the battery state and turn off if it fell below a certain level. Also the last time it drained my battery was during lockdown and therefore I wasn't driving for about a month at that time. I found out that it would turn on even if a cat passed the car or a raindrop hit the bonnet it would record about 20 secs of nothing. I had hours of nothing video after that lockdown as well as a flat car battery. It was about half a mile away parked near my daughters so couldn't easily visit.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the info. I'm quite pleased that the USB rear mirror connector will both handle the load and turn off when the carcis off. I have lost 2 car batteries on previous cars because of drain from the dash camera.

I would be interested in both of your experience with the VIOFO and the GAMIN Mini 2. Both cameras I am considering. The A119 v3 gives marginally better picture from some of the ezamples I have seen, but youtube does a lot of compression when uploading videos that you wonder how accurate the results are. Also there are some conveniences with the GARMIN Mini. Size, voice control etc.

Whats your oppinion?

evcog (colin)
I've had Nextbase ones, but not happy overall, so now have a Viofo A129. There are short usb cables on Amazon, just check the ends

Been spending today.
  • I have bought a VIOFO A119 v3 front GPS camera. Searched many reviews and thought the video quality better than Garmin Mini or the Nextbase series of cameras. Especially for cost. Found this really good video comparison on YouTube. I also thought the A119 gave me everything that I needed compared to the A129.
  • Arranged car insurance through MoneySuperMarket which was £130 cheaper than my local broker could give.
  • Bought a £1 10mm wrench from ProperJob (anybody from Somerset will know this shop) Just in case I need to reset the systems.
    It Crowd Reaction GIF

Now I'm going to look for the correct short USB lead to connect the dashcam.

Thank you for all the good advice.

evcog (Colin)

I bought a 0.30 flat ‘ribbon’ lead from Aliexpress. They have a variety of angled leads which made for a very neat install, with no need to hide excess cable.

Attachments

• 3C676A50-099B-4B50-8FC7-E492E6821F8C.png
    3C676A50-099B-4B50-8FC7-E492E6821F8C.png
    755 KB · Views: 86
Been spending today.
  • I have bought a VIOFO A119 v3 front GPS camera. Searched many reviews and thought the video quality better than Garmin Mini or the Nextbase series of cameras. Especially for cost. Found this really good video comparison on YouTube. I also thought the A119 gave me everything that I needed compared to the A129.
  • Arranged car insurance through MoneySuperMarket which was £130 cheaper than my local broker could give.
  • Bought a £1 10mm wrench from ProperJob (anybody from Somerset will know this shop) Just in case I need to reset the systems.
    It Crowd Reaction GIF

Now I'm going to look for the correct short USB lead to connect the dashcam.

Thank you for all the good advice.

evcog (Colin)

Proper Job! That's a man's shop that is. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom