Rear tyre anomaly

TorvaFirmus

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
On friday driving to the airport, I got a warning about one of my rear tyres. Then later I got a warning about the second one. What is a tyre/wheel anomaly? Driving back from the airport on Monday, the tyres reported fine. Any ideas?

I've been getting these too. I used to get them on my old Golf (tyre pressure warning cost £25 extra when I bought it) and it was usually temperature-related. My local garage (who had to cancel the Golf's warning) said they got a rash of them in spring and autumn and at the first frosts.

At least in the MG4 you can check the pressures and see there's nothing wrong, so it's OK to drive on. I was advised on the forum to put a little more air in the tyres then drive half a mile and the warning would clear itself. This worked. When it happened again (on Saturday) it had cleared itself when I went back to the car after it had been parked up, However it happened again on the way home.

I thought the tyres might be slightly low pressure although I hadn't done anything to them since I got the car (at these pressures) in April. So I brought all the tyres up to 2.6 bar. It didn't happen again yesterday when I went into Edinburgh, but then I may not have driven it enough, or the temperature might not have been low enough. We'll see.

Last edited:
I keep mines between 2.4 and 2.5 bar at most. I prefer 2.4 bar TBH, and the tyres, in the current climate, warm up quite evenly to 2.6 bar all around within a couple of miles.
Why lower pressure? I find the 2.5 recommended pressure, or even worse, the 37 PSI, is just a tad bit too high and the tyres become less effective on the British chipseal tarmac.
The tyres are wearing quite evenly front and back, after near 2k miles got 7 mm on the outside and 6 mm on the inside of each tyre (due to camber and that more than 1,000 of those miles have been dead straight motorway, and I drive quite slow in town and country normally)

Mine did some strange things too, rear tyres 2,4 and low pressure alert, front tyres 2,4 and no warning? Also ones 1 rear at 2,3 with warning other rear 2,3 and no warning, I think the drivers are the beta testers???

Nah, I think they all do this when the weather changes. My 2009 Golf used to do it all the time. At least in the MG4 you can check the tyre pressures on the screen and reassure yourself that they're OK. In the Golf I was always left wondering, was it just temperature, or did I have a slow puncture.

Mine did some strange things too, rear tyres 2,4 and low pressure alert, front tyres 2,4 and no warning? Also ones 1 rear at 2,3 with warning other rear 2,3 and no warning, I think the drivers are the beta testers???
The warning might be due to pressure loss over a number of readings.

I've put 2.6 bar in mine and checked the pressures with a separate accurate pressure gauge. I've found I have to put a bit more in than indicated by the tyre inflater.

mine was doing it last autumn when I first got the car . went into the dealers for the tpms to be reset. Was fine all winter Spring and Summer , now started again . At the moment as others have said once the air in the tyre ( atm it's only the rear offside) has heated up[ a bit , it's fine .

Last edited:
Hi all - I am getting this exact same issue for the last few weeks and driving me a bit nuts tbh - have added air into both rear tyres up to 2.4 bar twice - goes blue to say all ok and then day later get the annoying lady telling me there's a fault, even when its shows same pressure as front ones. Is there a way of turning the lady off and just leaving the warning light on the dash ? Do you think there is a sensor issue that should get checked out ?
Don't think related but also getting some issues with the console unit (prob wrong words) - losing radio info when switching on etc - seems to go back to an orig setting. Any thoughts ?
Apart from that, enjoying the drive ! Thank you

My label says to inflate to 2.5 bar, so I always inflate to 2.6. That way as it slowly drops before I next check, it will even out around the right value. Not had a problem with this.

I suspect the engineering menus let you adjust the warning valhe, but I haven't explored that.

mine was doing it last autumn when I first got the car . went into the dealers for the tpms to be reset. Was fine all winter Spring and Summer , now started again . At the moment as others have said once the air in the tyre ( atm it's only the rear offside) has heated up[ a bit , it's fine .
I don’t understand.
The recommended pressure for the MG4 SE SR is 2.5 bar on all corners.
That’s the recommended pressure with the tyres cold and ambient temperature of around 20c
So when the tyres heat up, they will most likely be at a higher pressure.
But the TPMS should accept 2.5 anyway
And in my case I have all tyres just above 2.4 when cold (measured at 10C) and I don’t get any warnings.
So how is it that you get a warning if the pressure is within parameters?

Cos it's not .My rear tyre is showing 2.3 I suspect the dealer set the tpms at 2.6 . Cos I have readings of 2.6 .2.6 2.5 and 2.3. The thing that annoys me is that as a driver you can't reset the system once you've inflated the tyres to the correct pressure . Every other car i've owned has had that ability

Cos it's not .My rear tyre is showing 2.3 I suspect the dealer set the tpms at 2.6 . Cos I have readings of 2.6 .2.6 2.5 and 2.3. The thing that annoys me is that as a driver you can't reset the system once you've inflated the tyres to the correct pressure . Every other car i've owned has had that ability
Are you saying one of the sensor is measuring 2.3bar but you are certain the pressure is 2.5/2.6?
Or are you saying the pressure is 2.3, it’s showing 2.3, and that’s the pressure you want in the tyre because of the pressure once heated?

I ' don't know what the pressure is cos I haven't measured it .
I suspect i'ts actually 2.3 when cold then goes to around 2.5 when warm . Which for me atm is about 10 minutes driving on my everyday commute .
As I've said The car is going in next week so I'll get the dealer to take a look.

Thanks all - I'm going to try putting both rears at 2.6 then (i thought it said 2.5 bar somewhere). Also going to investigate if can turn the annoying lady voice off !

This is odd. When I fiddled with the pressures I thought I'd got them to about 2.5 cold rising to 2.6 warm. But then once they were cold again they were still reading 2.6.

The car hasn't turned a wheel for nearly 48 hours. It's just been sitting on my drive. When I went to check, three tyres were showing 2.7. (The one I thought was fractionally lower is still on 2.6.) This might be a bit high? Why so high when everything is cold?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back