Rear view camera - how do you use it?

drivethru

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi All

Coming from an ICE with no rear view camera to the mg4 - I am liking the field of view the rear view camera gives when reversing into a parking bay etc.

It's just that I am a bit old school and prefer using my mirrors - it just feels odd looking down at the screen whilst reversing but the field of view is so much better so it should technically be safer?

How do you all use the rear view camera for reversing?

All opinions and advice are welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Don't feel I'm using the 360 top down camera much - sensors and general rear camera good enough.. along with general observations too of course. 😆

For me, 90% mirrors but camera ideal to check for very small people that may have shot behind the car and the final few inches up to obstacles

All replies consistent with exactly how it should be used. As an aid to double check those tight angles and corners you can't physically see. What's directly behind and distance to.
Technically all the toys are aids. Main course of action is to follow your normal good habits while driving as taught and use every toy in car to supplement. Not replace.

And that way you never have to utter the words. "oh the sensor didn't go off" 😂😂

All replies consistent with exactly how it should be used. As an aid to double check those tight angles and corners you can't physically see. What's directly behind and distance to.
Technically all the toys are aids. Main course of action is to follow your normal good habits while driving as taught and use every toy in car to supplement. Not replace.

And that way you never have to utter the words. "oh the sensor didn't go off" 😂😂
Agreed, which is why it always makes me laugh when people complain about the clarity and/or resolution of their rear view camera, as if they're permanently driving in reverse without turning their head. :LOL:

OK so I’m an older citizen and a bit slow 🥴

But the other day a guy showed UP he said RIGHT - LEFT hand DOWN 🤷‍♂️ - 🤷‍♂️ - 🤷‍♂️ - 🤷‍♂️

I just drove away 🤦‍♂️

For me, 90% mirrors but camera ideal to check for very small people that may have shot behind the car and the final few inches up to obstacles
I actually roll a window down to hear anyone approaching from the side when reversing (from drive way) as they might not hear the car but I'll hear them.. just a thing I think of since moving from my last ice car!

This is only going one way. We already have cars that use cameras instead of wing mirrors. Some cars even have rear cameras and no rear windscreen. Digital rear view cameras could actually provide a better and safer all-round view than existing rear mirrors or even from turning your head and looking through restricted rear views.

Ah, however, beware: I’ve seen a video that shows low objects don’t appear on the rear view camera as you get close to them, just when you need it. Watch out for 9 inch walls!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back