Recall

Splodgie

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Ive had my MG4 Trophy for almost a month now and the only symptom it's had is a misread on the tyre pressure sensor when it's really really cold! I could not be more satisfied. I bought a service plan from my local dealer R Hardie Sunderland and I have been really impressed by their attention, openness, accessibility and communication

However, it goes in for a recall tomorrow and software updates so i was hoping to draw upon all of the combined knowledge and experience of those on the forum and ask "what additional questions should I be asking the dealer" ?

Its going in for a couple of days so im assuming they will have a thorough look at all things on the current MG 4 recall/update checklist that have been mentioned here before such as self locking , oil leaks , cabin heating ect but is there a chance we could all help each other and help the dealers with a definitive list of the "common" issues. I don't want this to become a moan list as there's plenty of that available elsewhere but a heads up in one place for those whose care are .

Its going in for a couple of days so im assuming they will have a thorough look at all things on the current MG 4 recall/update checklist that have been mentioned here before such as self locking , oil leaks , cabin heating etc
If I may be so bold, I would say do not assume this, more often than not I am making them aware of issues that they say they are unaware of. I email my dealer with all the issues to be checked and ask them to come back to me with the outcome. This way you have confirmation and proof if needed.

Edit - mine goes in on Friday mainly for the locking people in their cars fix but my dealer is also very good generally. I’ll ask them to print out a list of which updates are applied which they have done before, I’ll share here.

Last edited:
thanks Crawfp. I think you can assume that if i thought the dealer was aware of everything i wouldn't be reaching out to the forum community for their knowledge and experience. I also always ask for hard copies of whats been done as i will be maintaining a paper record of this car as i do with all my cars

thanks Crawfp. I think you can assume that if i thought the dealer was aware of everything i wouldn't be reaching out to the forum community for their knowledge and experience
Just checking 😂, see my edit also, I’ll update when I get the car back re what updates I got.

chance we could all help each other and help the dealers.

The biggest benefit of this forum covers the first part of you sentence, the forum is great for that.

The second part is a complete lottery, hopefully you have a good dealer, you will be in the minority, I think a better terminology would be push, nudge, tell the dealer

You say your car is going back for a recall, did the dealer contact you to bring it in or did you contact them first?

The second part is a complete lottery, hopefully you have a good dealer, you will be in the minority, I think a better terminology would be push, nudge, tell the dealer
Agree with this. My dealer is generally very good, but as we know communication from MG to dealers seems to be less than ideal and we also know that some dealers are inclined to use, how shall we say, “alternative facts”? If it helps, the list I have outstanding is:

1. Driver fatigue monitor
2. Temperature needs to be set to 26 degrees plus to get warm
3. Cannot pre heat cabin when plugged in and NOT charging
4. Scratches on alloys from aero covers
5. Update for locking in car
6. Scheduled charging not working, starts on its own at random times
7. Drivers foot rest broken

Agree with this. My dealer is generally very good, but as we know communication from MG to dealers seems to be less than ideal and we also know that some dealers are inclined to use, how shall we say, “alternative facts”? If it helps, the list I have outstanding is:

1. Driver fatigue monitor
2. Temperature needs to be set to 26 degrees plus to get warm
3. Cannot pre heat cabin when plugged in and NOT charging
4. Scratches on alloys from aero covers
5. Update for locking in car
6. Scheduled charging not working, starts on its own at random times
7. Drivers foot rest broken
For info
i don't have the driver fatigue monitor in my Tropy
the cabin temp is on the list already
i can preheat the cabin when plugged in and not charging
i don't have scratches on my alloys (not really a recall issue)
no locking in the car for me…yet
my schedule charging is fine
drivers foot rest is a new one for me is this a common problem?

i don't have the driver fatigue monitor in my Tropy
Lucky boy!

This is surprising. I don't think I recall anyone else reporting being able to do this at the moment except if the car is actively charging at the time

drivers foot rest is a new one for me is this a common problem?
Yes, I've seen others. There are two bolts and the plastic around them is very thin.

the contact was initiated when i took out the service plan.
What is your car being recalled for? I wasn’t aware that there is an official recall of MG4 cars, but I might have missed this. Perhaps it’s the use of the word ‘recall’
From your comments it appears that it was only by chance when buying a service plan that you found out?
My understanding is a manufacturer recall is when related models and versions are officially recalled by the manufacturer for essential work to be completed. Manufacturers/dealers reach out to the owners and provide specific reasons for the recall and what is involved.
MG have to date been very quiet in this department…

Lucky boy!

This is surprising. I don't think I recall anyone else reporting being able to do this at the moment except if the car is actively charging at the time

Yes, I've seen others. There are two bolts and the plastic around them is very thin.
ill have a good look at the footrest as ive never noticed a problem there and nobody could ever accuse me of being dainty and light-footed

What is your car being recalled for? I wasn’t aware that there is an official recall of MG4 cars, but I might have missed this. Perhaps it’s the use of the word ‘recall’
From your comments it appears that it was only by chance when buying a service plan that you found out?
My understanding is a manufacturer recall is when related models and versions are officially recalled by the manufacturer for essential work to be completed. Manufacturers/dealers reach out to the owners and provide specific reasons for the recall and what is involved.
Dealer said recall ,but i think its probably a software update that requires "inshop" monitoring.

Definitely, to date MG/dealers haven't been proactively contacting anyone, even to do the update to cure the locking in

Dealer said recall ,but i think its probably a software update that requires "inshop" monitoring.
Thanks. This is where version history for software and release notes would help, so that we can track what the latest version is and what updates have been applied. Sigh…😞

@meicd (I think) started a thread where there's a record of different people's software versions. Albeit this record is only of what you can see - not the individual module versions.

Hmmm, needs clarification.
Here’s what appears to happen with everyone else’s cars.

1. If you’re plugged in but not charging and the car has less than 100% battery - YES TO PREHEAT as long as it can ask the charger for electricity
2. if you’re plugged in but not charging and the battery is full, and therefore cannot accept any more charge, NO PREHEAT (had this happen to me this morning)

So, to sum up, preheat only works when plugged in IF the car has less than 100% battery and IF the car can ‘request’ more charge at the same time from the charger.

There’s no scenario where if the car is plugged in the car will use its own battery to preheat, which it obviously does fine if it’s not plugged in.

Are you sure that when you’re requesting preheat whilst plugged in it’s not switching on your charger and you’re just not noticing?
Next time, look and see if the charge port goes green or, if you can’t see the car, look on the app and see if the battery graphic is showing the battery charging (wee green electrons flowing on the graphic).

Last edited:
A list of all known issues stickied to the top of the forum would be incredibly helpful for those due to pick soon so that the community can be kept updated in a single instance. All the posts are difficult to track regarding stages of fixes etc.

A list of all known issues stickied to the top of the forum would be incredibly helpful for those due to pick soon so that the community can be kept updated in a single instance. All the posts are difficult to track regarding stages of fixes etc.
It would be a big list!
There is a thread with one, I'm sure site guru had a link to his comprehensive list, I do recall he might have had some photos attached, or I may have just made that up

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back