Reduced power when going up hill 2022 SR

riizzle

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Has anyone else experienced reduced power when climbing a hill? If I’m driving up a hill on the motorway I’m often limited to 40% power when I put my foot down.

What 'mode' are you driving in?
I was in Normal, wasn’t sure if it’s that the motor gets hot and then reduces power to save its self. After reaching the top of the hill I’m quickly able to use full power again, but it just means going up the hill I couldn’t go faster than 60

I think someone else suffered this when their battery was low.

It could be the characteristics of the short range LFP battery they don't handle power draw as well

I was in Normal, wasn’t sure if it’s that the motor gets hot and then reduces power to save its self. After reaching the top of the hill I’m quickly able to use full power again, but it just means going up the hill I couldn’t go faster than 60
That doesn't seem right, you should (with plenty of available battery) be able to maintain 70 on the motorway hills easily.

Can't say I have, in any mode, although I've not been below 20% charge yet.

Not inadvertently got the acc or speed limiter on?

I had this on my original ZS from 2019. It was the duff BMS that was the issue. Once that was rectified and back to capacity I never had an issue. It was going flat out up a hill (a 12% one) at about 20-25mph in a 30mph zone.

That doesn’t sound good.
If the battery was low <10% then fair enough, but certainly shouldn’t be happening at around 70% charge.

I had this on my original ZS from 2019. It was the duff BMS that was the issue. Once that was rectified and back to capacity I never had an issue. It was going flat out up a hill (a 12% one) at about 20-25mph in a 30mph zone.
Hi Mike !.
How is the "Soul" going ?.
Pro's - Con's over your previous Gen1 ZS EV ?????.

Has anyone else experienced reduced power when climbing a hill? If I’m driving up a hill on the motorway I’m often limited to 40% power when I put my foot down.
Cold weather and state of charge have something to do with that, it happened to me on a familiar flat stretch of road.

It could be the characteristics of the short range LFP battery they don't handle power draw as well
I'm not convinced of that. It is possible to make high power LFP batteries, or higher energy density, depending on the recipe and how the cell is made. What is the data behind this apparently common assumption?

Edit: many SR+ Teslas have LFP batteries, and Tesla don't make low performance cars.

I'm not convinced of that. It is possible to make high power LFP batteries, or higher energy density, depending on the recipe and how the cell is made. What is the data behind this apparently common assumption?

Edit: many SR+ Teslas have LFP batteries, and Tesla don't make low performance cars.
I started by saying it could be not it definitely is
LFP battery are well documented to have low energy density it's probably the biggest down side of a very good safe battery
People are charging them like NMC battery which makes the density worse this is why tesla put out a bulletin to telling owners of LFP car to charge to 100%
changing the way you make a LFP would mean it's no longer a LFP battery
At a guess I would say tesla batterys are better made
And there Motors are better if your 80bhp down on a tesla its still a quick car if your 80bhp down on a mg its a bit rubbish
This is why I said could it be?
Ps. I am not saying you lose 80bhp

Hi Mike !.
How is the "Soul" going ?.
Pro's - Con's over your previous Gen1 ZS EV ?????.
Hi,

It’s going very well. I’m now 11,000 miles into ownership after 6 months. I have only charged twice away from home because we went away for a weekend.

Having an app again is brilliant. It works. Heats/cools the car, remote locking/unlocking etc. the car is a pleasure to drive compared to my ZS, even with its improved dampers. Range is great. 220-240 in winter and 280-300 in summer. Love the HUD, the heat pump, the wireless charging. The boot is smaller, but the cars square shape makes it easier to load. The boot is 315 litres from floor up to under the parcel shelf. Loads of space under the floor & above the parcel shelf. I have a frunk. The 4 levels of regen & 1pedal driving are great, especially with coast mode. It is also much more efficient.

What do I miss from the MG? The sun roof. Nothing else. It cost £10k more when new for a reason!

The new facelift ZS is catching up on the tech, but the efficiency & quality are much better with the Soul. Plus the Soul is quite a rare car!

Hi,

It’s going very well. I’m now 11,000 miles into ownership after 6 months. I have only charged twice away from home because we went away for a weekend.

Having an app again is brilliant. It works. Heats/cools the car, remote locking/unlocking etc. the car is a pleasure to drive compared to my ZS, even with its improved dampers. Range is great. 220-240 in winter and 280-300 in summer. Love the HUD, the heat pump, the wireless charging. The boot is smaller, but the cars square shape makes it easier to load. The boot is 315 litres from floor up to under the parcel shelf. Loads of space under the floor & above the parcel shelf. I have a frunk. The 4 levels of regen & 1pedal driving are great, especially with coast mode. It is also much more efficient.

What do I miss from the MG? The sun roof. Nothing else. It cost £10k more when new for a reason!

The new facelift ZS is catching up on the tech, but the efficiency & quality are much better with the Soul. Plus the Soul is quite a rare car!
Thanks @Mike: for replying.
Glad to here you are happy with the Soul !.
I know you tried very hard to get the suspension in the ZS ( Gen1 ) sorted to your liking.
Then there was the issue of the “Buggy” software etc.
Sometimes you just feel like you are swimming in jelly 🤣 and loose interest in the car.
I was a little surprised you did not go for the improved facelift model, but then a change is a good thing also.
The improvements ( for what is a face lift model ) where gratefully received by previous Gen1 owners.
But there is only SO far you can go with a face lift model I guess ?.
When we first collected the Gen1 ZS EV in 2019 it was pretty rare also.
Now two years latter, I see one almost every time we go out.
It has been a huge hit for MG sales in the U.K.
I guess there is no such thing as a BAD EV, some are just better and more expensive as a result.
The choice of EV’s have increased massively in the last two years.
Supply is the biggest problem !.
With crazy price of fuel at the moment, owning a EV has suddenly become the number one topic.
In 2019 we had the only EV / PHEV in the street, now there is one or he other in just about 25% of the houses !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom