Regen on cruisecontrol?

Meris

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Does anyone know IF there will be an update on getting regen in cruisecontrol?

My feeling is that it does Regen in cruise control, just that you can't see it.

Recently, I "cruise controlled" down a quite steep and long downhill road, and my only evidence is that the car did "several" miles without anything being detracted from the GOM after that hill.

I may be wrong (Often am!)

If you go down a hill with ACC on it will polish the rust on the rarely used brake discs.
Acc on undulating roads is not good. I spoke to my dealer, they did not know about the fault.
An earlier post said it is the software from the IC MG ZS

The brake pads and discs are used every time you come to a stop 🙂. There’s no one-pedal driving on the ZS I’m afraid 😕 the ZS EV uses the Bosch system from the ICE car.

This was highlighted on a recent YouTube video in Aus. The MG ZS EV does not use regen when in ACC. Definitely needs to be updated. The question is can this be done with just a firmware update?
Good luck with MG, keep us all informed, cheers

I would really like to see a light on the dash that comes on when the brake lights are on.
I do not like the idea of the car causing the brake lights to come on "all the time" when the cruise control decides it needs to slow down slightly.
I would like to be able to see at what point the brake pedal causes the brake pads and the brake lights to illuminate.

It's a big bug bear of mine, seeing peoples brake lights come on when on motorway etc, it causes a knock on effect of people having to brake behind. They should just be looking ahead and being proactive lifting off.

It is a definite failing it would seem, that the ACC does not use regen when needing to slow down slightly, what a waste of precious power unnecessarily using the brake pads.

Yes I agree - one of the cool things on the Tesla is the image of the car has working brake lights that glow when they are applied 🙂

I have noticed that the brake lights come on when regen is working to warn others you are slowing down. For me this should be a seperate light to show slowing down not stopping. This could be an amber central light so not to confuse with indicators. Just a thought as I disslike being behind a car that is always braking.

I have noticed that the brake lights come on when regen is working to warn others you are slowing down. For me this should be a seperate light to show slowing down not stopping. This could be an amber central light so not to confuse with indicators. Just a thought as I disslike being behind a car that is always braking.
But that's not going to stop other cars braking. :unsure:
What next, a green light to say you're accelerating ? :LOL:

Do you always stop when you apply your brakes ? or do you sometimes apply your brakes in order to slow down ?

I was sure I read that the brake lights come on when regen 3 is on but not regen 2..cant find it now though

Some premium electric cars (Mercs etc) use regen on the ACC, they also use it in relation to the satnav for upcoming bends, hills and roundabouts etc. Very clever bit of software.

The MG5 uses regen with its cruise control. Obviously, no smart cruise or anything like that.

The MG5 uses regen with its cruise control. Obviously, no smart cruise or anything like that.
That’s good. I didn’t realise that. Perhaps it will come to the ZS.

Has anyone read the manual for the MG5? The only company I know of that uses brakes for standard cruise control is BMW which has "Cruise control - with brake function" (if using cruise and going down hill it will use the brakes to maintain your set speed) Not sure if the MG5 is that sophisticated?

You’re right - I have had BMW cars with the active cruise control (uses the cars brakes if needed to maintain a steady speed). I thought this was mostly about using regen as well as brakes if required. In some situations regen alone may not be enough to maintain speed so brakes may be needed as well if the car has that function. Not sure how sophisticated the MG5 is at this. Paul is suggesting the MG5 has regen controlled cruise control I think?

Yeah non-adaptive cruise control from BMW has a brake function (ICE models) for maintaing downhill speed.

I've just read the MG5 manual and it doesn't state it has any kind of brake function.

Perhaps it uses regen to slow down to the set cruise speed once you've accelerated past it 🤷🏼‍♂️

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom