Regeneration brake lights

Here in France my ZS EV applies my rear brake lights when I shut off quickly and I am in KERS 3 no problem as I found out down a very dark country lane with no street lights. I tested it many times and yes the rear brake lights come on without braking. Weird its not the same system for all the models ?

Last edited:
I chased up my contact at MG last week and have had a positive response, basically they have test vehicles set up in the UK and China and "We are nearing completion of the testing, and will let you know the outcome within the next 2 weeks."
Thanks on behalf of all of us for your efforts so far 👍

For the benefit of anyone following this thread, another member had posted an update on the situation here which looks like it's resulted in a safety recall.

Massive thanks to @Kompins for raising it in the first place and ignoring all those who said it wasn't an issue to keep pursuing it with MG.

Hi.well done to all for getting a response from MG on this, as this as been kicking around now since about April time, and if what Ozzie’s has wrote above about a safety recall is correct, then that should clear matters up for them that are concerned about it.
Yes it is an issue, but where it has been said in this forum it’s an MOT failure
I can’t see that, the only brake light test I have ever seen on any vehicle is when the brake pedal is depressed and by doing that the brake lights will come on.
Les

Sorry guys, I may seem a bit dumb here, but what is KERS?
This is my first hybrid car so still trying to learn.

Grandad

Grandad
It's the energy regeneration system when braking, etc

1637234730867.png

Hi.well done to all for getting a response from MG on this, as this as been kicking around now since about April time, and if what Ozzie’s has wrote above about a safety recall is correct, then that should clear matters up for them that are concerned about it.
Yes it is an issue, but where it has been said in this forum it’s an MOT failure
I can’t see that, the only brake light test I have ever seen on any vehicle is when the brake pedal is depressed and by doing that the brake lights will come on.
Les
The MOT test only tests brake operation, however, the requirement is to operate when deceleration exceed a certain rate as it does on KERS3. It is a MOT failure but I doubt if many MOT stations will test this as UK testing standards are a bit lax. I have been to a MOT test in another EU country and they do test for this and have all sorts of other tests to test what would fail a MOT here if tested properly.

My favourite was the shock absorber test! They have a machine that bounces each wheel in turn to ensure the shock absorber works as designed.

The MOT test only tests brake operation, however, the requirement is to operate when deceleration exceed a certain rate as it does on KERS3. It is a MOT failure but I doubt if many MOT stations will test this as UK testing standards are a bit lax. I have been to a MOT test in another EU country and they do test for this and have all sorts of other tests to test what would fail a MOT here if tested properly.

My favourite was the shock absorber test! They have a machine that bounces each wheel in turn to ensure the shock absorber works as designed.
Well all I can say to that is for a great many years now I have been taking several cars including my own, my wife’s ,and other family members and also couple of friends, who have relied on me to check there cars over as much as I can without a ramp and then take them for the MOT test, this as been in different testing stations and in different towns, I cannot remember the last time any MOT tester took any of the cars out on a road test since they where all required to have a rolling road, yes many years ago they used to road test vehicles and they also tested the brakes with a meter they would place on the floor of the vehicles to do this with, you see I in my working years I worked in the motor trade from time to time both in the late 60s and around 2007/11 after I retired from full time work and would sometimes assist the MOT tester in doing his testing.
What goes on in other parts of the EU I can’t comment on, but how you can test brake lights on regen well that I don’t know, maybe there is away all I can assure you off on my MG5 SR the lights do not work unless you operate the brake pedal that’s for certain.
Les

Last edited:

Grandad
Also - this thread is specific to the MG5. I'm not aware if the brake light not coming on when regenerating is an issue on the HS (or, for that matter, if the regenerative braking is sharp enough on the hybrid for it to be a problem)

Booked in for this Thursday next week. Thank you to those who pushed this as its not a great feature and needed fixing. Has anyone tried it yet? The cynic in me thinks its strange that a software fix is possible on something that is usually a switch at the pedal but with digital cars who knows. Just hope it isn't just bringing the KERS 3, g force level inside that needed by legislation to active a brake light rather than making the light work.

I was hoping it just put the lights on and maintains the level going back in the battery

Booked in for this Thursday next week. Thank you to those who pushed this as its not a great feature and needed fixing. Has anyone tried it yet? The cynic in me thinks its strange that a software fix is possible on something that is usually a switch at the pedal but with digital cars who knows. Just hope it isn't just bringing the KERS 3, g force level inside that needed by legislation to active a brake light rather than making the light work.
That's an interesting take on the situation! Compliance would probably be achieved by disabling KERS3 entirely but I don't think that's the intention.
It's frustrating that my car has been modified but is currently sitting in the dealership with the 12V battery disconnected awaiting refit of the infotainment unit so I can't test it. :(

That's an interesting take on the situation! Compliance would probably be achieved by disabling KERS3 entirely but I don't think that's the intention.
It's frustrating that my car has been modified but is currently sitting in the dealership with the 12V battery disconnected awaiting refit of the infotainment unit so I can't test it. :(
Is KERS3 on the 5 as strong as on the ZS I wonder ?

Is KERS3 on the 5 as strong as on the ZS I wonder ?
I’m pretty sure I remember Miles mentioning on a podcast (maybe the one about the MG5LR?) that the 5 has stronger regen than the ZS due to the different gearing.

I know @Archev recently moved from ZS to MG5LR so might have a better perspective.

I’m pretty sure I remember Miles mentioning on a podcast (maybe the one about the MG5LR?) that the 5 has stronger regen than the ZS due to the different gearing.

I know @Archev recently moved from ZS to MG5LR so might have a better perspective.
Hi guys, there isn’t much in it I don’t think but if anything there’s a slightly stronger and certainly smoother deceleration with the regeneration effect with our 5LR compared to the ZS. Also the auto brake operating system was disconcertingly noisy with the ZS. When the car “panics” near other vehicles or at tight corners etc - the ZS made a grinding sort of noise as the brakes were “wound on” The 5LR can still be a bit timid but it happens silently.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom