Regeneration with ACC, MG5 & MG ZS difference

tony powell

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
On my MG ZS EV 2022, when in cruise control the regen (KERS) does not seem to function when descending a hill, however I was given an MG 5 as a courtesy car today and on that one there does appear to be regeneration happening- the power display turns negative. Why the difference between the two? Will it be fixed in future software upgrades?

On my MG ZS EV 2022, when in cruise control the regen (KERS) does not seem to function when descending a hill, however I was given an MG 5 as a courtesy car today and on that one there does appear to be regeneration happening- the power display turns negative. Why the difference between the two? Will it be fixed in future software upgrades?
There are a few threads about this topic.

It seems to be some sort of design issue. Personally, I can't see why it can't work. It's certainly annoying, especially when the MG5 has it.

I never understood the idea of the hill descent feature.

If it would have worked like an automatic KERS function for going down hill, why would it not be possible to just have KERS work all the time.

I tried enabling it a few times on the MG ZS EV when going down hill...Once on a rather steep hill down, but it never did regen unless i was not in cruise, and if not in cruise, it will do it despite not being in hill descent.

I bet the KERS with Cruise control will be a feature in the ZS EV gen.3

They use different Bosch systems, not a software issue.

I never understood the idea of the hill descent feature.

If it would have worked like an automatic KERS function for going down hill, why would it not be possible to just have KERS work all the time.

I tried enabling it a few times on the MG ZS EV when going down hill...Once on a rather steep hill down, but it never did regen unless i was not in cruise, and if not in cruise, it will do it despite not being in hill descent.

I bet the KERS with Cruise control will be a feature in the ZS EV gen.3
AFAIK the hill descent is only for going down slippery slopes (like off road) so it uses the ABS function of the brakes.

AFAIK the hill descent is only for going down slippery slopes (like off road) so it uses the ABS function of the brakes.
Okay, do you know in what way it does this, that is different than if i just go down a hill and use the foot brake myself ?

Okay, do you know in what way it does this, that is different than if i just go down a hill and use the foot brake myself ?
As I see it, no difference apart from the fact you can go down with your foot off the brakes, a bit like using a low gear in a 4x4 except the car uses the brakes.

From the manual
"The HDC system is an auxiliary function specially designed
for driving on acute downhill gradients. The system
reduces the speed by applying brake force, thus assisting
the driver to drive on acute downhill surfaces with low
speeds.
Please DO NOT use this function when driving on the
ordinary roads."

From the manual
"The HDC system is an auxiliary function specially designed
for driving on acute downhill gradients. The system
reduces the speed by applying brake force, thus assisting
the driver to drive on acute downhill surfaces with low
speeds.
Please DO NOT use this function when driving on the
ordinary roads."
So basically if i am driving down the side of a mountain or i go offroading, which the car is not suited for.

Fair enough, that is the explanation, i am going to call this function "worthless" :)

So basically if i am driving down the side of a mountain or i go offroading, which the car is not suited for.

Fair enough, that is the explanation, i am going to call this function "worthless" :)
I haven't tried it, but I think it may possibly have some small use for driving slowly down hill on snow for drivers who are not confident in their own abilities.
I look at it as a type of reverse traction control.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom