Remote boot opener doesnt work

Dean Smith

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Anyone not managed to open the boot on the key fob. Expected it to open but it doesn't. No noises or clicking so starting to wonder if it's there for decoration like the roof bars!

Does the catch keep hold of the hatch or would adding stronger gas struts pop it open?

You have to hold the button in for a few seconds, then you'll here the 'pop' of the boot unlocking, then lift it by hand.

Yes just realised it’s not automatic opening. Don’t think it’s clearly explained in the manual.
Only other moan re electric vehicle problems ( not MGs fault ) but we drove down to Cornwall on 3/7/22 from Essex.
Not happy with the inconsistency of charging locations. Some work, many don’t. Companies who own them leave them inoperative for months !
Also differing methods of being able to charge. Some require (pod point) you have your own type 2 cable. Some require you to download their app, register ( long time consuming process on your iPhone ) before you “may” be able to charge up.
Some just let you tap your card and charge, easiest method.
This charging system in the UK needs standardising !!

It's happening slowly. All new Rapid chargers must come with a contactless payment terminal.
I don't know how many if any companies in England are upgrading older ones but that's a massive job and will take years.

Yes just realised it’s not automatic opening. Don’t think it’s clearly explained in the manual.
Only other moan re electric vehicle problems ( not MGs fault ) but we drove down to Cornwall on 3/7/22 from Essex.
Not happy with the inconsistency of charging locations. Some work, many don’t. Companies who own them leave them inoperative for months !
Also differing methods of being able to charge. Some require (pod point) you have your own type 2 cable. Some require you to download their app, register ( long time consuming process on your iPhone ) before you “may” be able to charge up.
If you used Zapmap to check charging locations don't rely on the current reported state. Someone has a problem or the charger really does fail and it gets reported, unfortunately it rarely gets reported that it's working again or is actually OK. So in summary if it says it's broken, it may or may not be.

Re: boot unlocking
My experience is that if you have the key on you and approach the boot, it unlocks so you can then press the boot latch to open the boot - I've not used the button on the key.

Did you really not know this stuff till after you bought your £25000 car? I thought all ICE drivers knew exactly how bad charging availability was - and before I took the EV plunge I did do a bit of research to be sure I knew a complete change in my motoring pattern would not be too much of a shock to the system, in many ways.

tbh I've had mine since Dec and only just been on my second trip where I needed public charging and it worked out fine through both trips (about 10 charges in all). Probably shouldn't have said that, it can only go downhill from here!!! :)

My first trip away was fine there and back... repeated the trip this week and the Gridserve chargers at Rugby wouldn't work for me on contactless... (not the chargers, others were using with no problems) ...wasted 25 minutes talking to the helpdesk before getiing the 'bad luck, nothing we can do for you' from customer service...

Lesson learnt... don't bugger about if it's not working properly, bail and find the nearest alternate. Then report the fault while you're charging at the next one.

Other learning point, always carry two cards from different issuers. After two successful charges one day my credit card stopped initiating charges, but my debit card still worked fine. I never got to the bottom of the issue as there was plenty of credit and the card issuer and the charge point provider both blamed each other.

Other learning point, always carry two cards from different issuers. After two successful charges one day my credit card stopped initiating charges, but my debit card still worked fine. I never got to the bottom of the issue as there was plenty of credit and the card issuer and the charge point provider both blamed each other.
There's usually a limit to the number of times you can use contactless, you have to enter your pin number to reset it, which of course you can't on a charger or a parking machine. :(

Surely if the machine doesn't have the ability it would be smart enough to not ask...?

And I have also heard they need the PIN once in a while but I truly can't remember the last time I was asked, and I pay for absolutely everything by card now. (Maybe those transactions over the contact limit count as the security check).

I get the odd pincheck when shopping, which is fine. However, the machine didn't flag anything up other that ready, followed by present card, ad nauseum. The 50KW Osprey I found ten minutes way was started using Bonnet, but did have the facility to key in a pin if needed

Anyone not managed to open the boot on the key fob. Expected it to open but it doesn't. No noises or clicking so starting to wonder if it's there for decoration like the roof bars!
Incidentally the roof bars have been rerated for 75 kg loads - when I took mine in for warranty work I found they'd stuck a correction sheet over the page in the manual which used to say they were only decorative

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom